Pro-106 unable to enter EXACT frequencies for P-25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanbanzai

I’ve been trying to program my newly acquired PRO-106 to the P-25 trunking system for my county. There are five control frequencies that range from 424.1625 to 424.3625. I enter in the frequencies exactly as they appear in RadioReference, but after I enter the exact frequency into the radio and hit the ENTER key, what the radio actually saves is 424.160 or 424.360. I’ve read where some scanners hide the last digit or so in the frequency display, but what this PRO-106 is doing is preventing the radio from picking up anything coming from my county‘s system. I have the last version of the firmware that was available for the 106 installed; 2.0 I think. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I”VE read through the manual several times and I’m too much of a newbie to digital scanners to determine if I’m missing the solution or not.
Many thanks,

Aaron

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
are you sure the system you want to monitor is un-encrypted Phase 1? if the system is encrypted you're out of luck. or if it's s a Phase 2 system you're out of luck with the 106.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you are using ARC500. go to Global Settings/Expert and check the box for Flexstep. Except for 2 Sheriff Spec Ops talkgroups, Niagara Co is not encrypted. Are you close to the old WurliTzer plant at 908 Niagara Falls Blvd?

Last edited:

juanbanzai

If you are using ARC500. go to Global Settings/Expert and check the box for Flexstep. Except for 2 Sheriff Spec Ops talkgroups, Niagara Co is not encrypted. Are you close to the old WurliTzer plant at 908 Niagara Falls Blvd?
Hello and thanks for the replies. Yes... I’m about 2 miles from the Wurlitzer factory. In fact, I used to restore jukeboxes for a company out of there many years ago. I miss doing that.

Anyway, Niagara County is indeed a Phase 1 system. I’ve been through the Global Settings (in the Expert area) and I’m not seeing anything for Flexstep. In fact, I‘m not even seeing it mentioned in the manual. I’m not using the ARC-500 software. That didn‘t come with the radio nor did a programming cable. Perhaps I’ve had too much turkey and am asleep at the wheel, but it sounds like without that programming software I’m out of luck?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
If you are programming from the front panel press "PROG", "FUNC", "F3" and scroll to it.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You beat me to it KevinC. I was just entering that when I saw your response pop up. I know a guy named Joe who serviced jukeboxes out of Cockeysville, MD. He ordered parts from that address. I have been involved with rebuilding old WurliTzer theatre pipe organs.

juanbanzai

That’s got it, Gents. Thanks very much. Now I just need to get ahold of some programming software and I’ll be all set. The cable came this afternoon. So nice to be able to hear my law enforcement agencies again.

juanbanzai

One thing I did notice about the Pro-106 is that the whip antenna that came with it does not have a lot of gain. I can walk around my house, or even my back yard with the scanner in my hand and frequencies from my county are either there or they aren't. The Niagara Falls International Airport is about 7 miles from my house and I can't hear any frequency in their grid at all with the whip antenna. I also have a ham radio repeater that's roughly 3 miles from my house and the 106 picks it up with a lot of noise on the signal. Using a dedicated VHF handheld, I can pick up the same repeater at full quieting. I connected the Pro-106 to my outdoor antenna and can pick up everything and then some. The airport is there, along with anything else I want to hear; even communities that are about 20 miles away. So I would try an external antenna to see if that helps you.

tvengr

Well Known Member
"I entered the frequencies for Northern York Co. but do not hear anything...am I missing something?"

What mariefrench is missing is the fact that the York Co PA system has all P25 Phase 2 (TDMA) talkgoups and she has a Pro-106 which is only capable of P25 Phase 1. She has already been advised that by multiple members on another thread (Help for Radio Shack 106 mariefrench Yesterday at 5:36 PM). The reason her scanner worked on the Baltimore County system is that Baltimore County is Phase 1.

Last edited:

mariefrench

"I entered the frequencies for Northern York Co. but do not hear anything...am I missing something?"

What mariefrench is missing is the fact that the York Co PA system has all P25 Phase 2 (TDMA) talkgoups and she has a Pro-106 which is only capable of P25 Phase 1. She has already been advised that by multiple members on another thread (Help for Radio Shack 106 mariefrench Yesterday at 5:36 PM). The reason her scanner worked on the Baltimore County system is that Baltimore County is Phase 1.
I realized York Co, PA is Phase 2...I have to get a different scanner. Any suggestions for a simple scanner that is capable of P25 Phase 2. Nothing special...I only listen to a few different counties in York.

tvengr

Well Known Member
One of the less expensive scanners is a Uniden BCD325P2. The problem you may run into is that York Co is a simulcast system. All of the older scanners do not like simulcast systems. It all depends on your location if the scanner will work or not. I have a BCD325P2 and I can use it to monitor York Co from northern Baltimore Co. On my attic antenna, it works OK. At other locations in the house, I have problems with York Co even though I have plenty of signal strength. The Uniden BCD996P2, BCD436HP, and BCD536HP all exhibit the same problem. I have the same problem with all of them here in Baltimore Co. Whistler scanners have the same or even worse performance in simulcast environments. Presently, the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 desktop/mobile are the only scanners that are built to reliably receive simulcast systems. I have no problems with those scanners wherever I use them. Even if a scanner works at your home, it may fall flat when you travel in the area. It all depends on your location in relation to the towers. I suggest that you start a new thread in the Pennsylvania forum asking which scanners work in York Co. There are people there in your area who can advise you on which scanners work and which scanners don't. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
One of the less expensive scanners is a Uniden BCD325P2. The problem you may run into is that York Co is a simulcast system.

The BCD325P2 is a great scanner ... I love mine. But this pretty much sums it up. Depending on where you are, it *may* work pretty well on the York County system. Or it may work very poorly. Unfortunately there's no way to know ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.