pro 106 volume squelch knob issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently started to have issues with my pro 106 volume squelch knob. It seems to stick together when trying to adjust ether the volume or the squelch. it only after about 11:00 position on the knob, is there a way to safely clean it so I can prevent it locking up or having to send it in for repairs. I have taken the knobs off but doesn't seem to be anything visibly obstructing the function. any help is apreciated

thanks whiterabbit_medic

RickS31

Short of a totally failed Volume control/squelch control (highly unlikely) what we used to do in the audio repair business is pull off the volume knob and put a small and fast (and I mean small and quick) squirt of WD40 on the two shafts specifically between the volume and squelch shaft. Next take the volume knob, put it back on and hold the squelch knob. Turn the volume knob several times through the full travel while holding the squelch knob stationary. Do the same while holding the volume knob stationary and turn the the squelch knob back and forth.

WD40 is a silicon based lubricant so it will not hurt the potentiometers in the controls but will hopefully free up the concentric shafts. Worth a shot. Just don't get carried away with the spray. A light spray with the volume knob off between the squelch shaft and the volume shaft should do the trick.

Rick

RickS31

Highly unlikely a design flaw since most manufacturers use standard off the shelf parts especially with variable pots. Try the above and maybe you'll breathe new life in the issue. Again, can't hurt a thing. Usually a lubrication issue.

so I tried the wd40 and it works to free it up mostly its still sticking a little but not as much as it was thanks. ive have my pro 106 for a year now and this has been the first time i have had any problems with it.

RickS31

If that did help, it should continue to get better over time as the lube works it's way down the shaft. Occasional working of the respective shafts while holding the other stationary will also probably help over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.