Pro-106 vs 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tramagod

I've been considering a new handheld and have done a great deal of online research. Now I'd like the opinions of the true experst, the actual users of these radios. I've narrowed my choice doen to a Pro-106 or a Uniden 396XT. I live in a signal rich environment with a digital system in the area as well as an 800mhz trunked system. There are also a host of conventional systems within the listening range of both these radios. Given this information, which way should I go and why. Thanks in advance for any responses to this question.

Bucko

If you live in a rich RF area then I would go with the 396XT for the selectivity. I have the 396 and the 197 and the Bearcat for me handles the heavy signals close like a pager for example.

W6KRU

If you are going to monitor a simulcast system, go with the PRO-106. My 396XT has gawd awful garbage audio on the simulcast system I monitor. My PSR-500 (same as PRO-106) sounds great under the same conditions.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I'd ask the people near you or RR. They will have much better input then we will based on monitoring the systems you will be listening to.

Example - On my system (simulcast) my 396XT outperforms my 106... If you spend time searching for videos highlighting p25 simulcact distortion, you'll find half of them are talking about my system, and all of them are using the 106. (Sorry DDan, I know your feelings, I'm only reporting based on my system nothing more.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.