Pro 106 vs Pro 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkantor

I recently got the 106 and absolutely love it, but....

I tested my 106 and 96 side by side, same location, same antenna and found that the Pro 106 is missing the beginning seconds of some trunked transmissions (non-digital). The 96 seems to lock on quicker and I rarely miss the beginning of the transmission.
I bought Win500 (love it, thanks Don!!) and am wondering if I should be changing some threshold setting to get a more comparable result on the Pro 106. I apologize if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for any direction you can give!

Bob

Nasby

In WIN 500 under "Extended Settings" lower the "digital detect timeout" setting from 60 to around 30. See if that takes care of the problem. I think many users have had this same problem and lowering the setting usually helps. There is a long thread about it on here somewhere but I can't find it.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
I have the PRO-96 and the PSR-500, which has the same guts as the PRO-106. I find the 96 performs better on digital trunking, probably because it has less bells and whistles. Just my 2 cents.

N8IAA

I found that my 96 was much more sensitive on digital than my 106 is. It was great to run Pro96com with the 96 and listen on the 106. I miss the radio:) But, the biggest drawback was the 'motorboating' (losing the digital signal). The 106 doesn't do it. The one thing I wish that the 500/106 could do is to mute the encrypted TG's.
Larry

InlandAZ

I found that my 96 was much more sensitive on digital than my 106 is. It was great to run Pro96com with the 96 and listen on the 106. I miss the radio:) But, the biggest drawback was the 'motorboating' (losing the digital signal). The 106 doesn't do it. The one thing I wish that the 500/106 could do is to mute the encrypted TG's.
Larry

That makes 2 of us - and from what I've read it is possible to do (why they didn't implement it is beyond me). It would really be a nice feature.

Nasby

I've found just the opposite. My PRO-106 performs slightly better (more sensitive) than my PRO-96. Both are great scanners.

Swipesy

And the other feature lost from the 96 to the 500/106 was the ability to have a text reading of the tower that the signal is coming off. I was hoping, considering all the complaints that GRE received about this feature, that they would have had an upgrade announcement at the 2010 Electronics show.

Status
Not open for further replies.