Pro-106 Washington County, TN + signal quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

akaLTD

Is there anyone here using a Pro106 scanning Johnson City & Washington County Public Safety (Project 25) that has problems with the signal constantly breaking up?
Example JCPD or WSCO:
Dispatcher: 23_ need __ to respond 10__ at 123 Mar__ St cross streets __ Creek _ and __Rd __ing further in___
233 responds: responding from ___ ... repeat __ streets

OR EMS dispatcher: Rescue _, Medic 3, Engine 3 emer___ traffic ___ pains 123 Hamilt__ crosses ____ and Main

Then it might come in good for a whole long transmission.

It does this on both the Washington County System & also the Tri-Cities Communications trunked system when Medcom is talking to Wings or vice versa although it doesn't seem as bad on the Tri-Cities system. On conventional frequencies it does not seem to break up or as at least not as bad.

I DO NOT have priority on anywhere, no talkgroup, not weather .. no where. I did use priority on the weather the other day & it's no where near as annoying as this constant breaking up.

I've moved the radio around, turned it over, held it in the air, adjusted different Expert settings & done just about everything I've read on the forums (short of buying the RS 800mhz antenna) but nothing helps.

For further, I've set the scanner down in one spot & did the "Analyze" on the TSYS & it reads 99% and stays there. I start scanning & it starts breaking up, the bars are reading full 5 bars but then it bleeps out & the "T" comes on. Like it's losing the Control Channel just temporarily. Then comes back but by then I've missed some key piece of info for the call.

I bought this radio used and I'm still using the antenna that came with the scanner. Would the Radio Shack 800mhz antenna really make THAT much of a difference? I'm just wondering if maybe there's something wrong with the scanner or if it has something to do with this System being a Two-site Simulcast System or what?

I'm located close to the Lowe's in Jonesborough. I'm on a high spot & I can actually see (with binoculars) the towers on Buffalo Mtn about 7miles away as the crow flies. I'm not sure where the tower is in Gray so don't know if that could be causing this problem. ???

It also does this when traveling in the car or even walking around outside with it on my side. Wiggling, pushing or pulling on the antenna doesn't seem to have any effect.

Any suggestions, comments, advice???

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
I'll presume you have tries using the ATT attenuation. When I am close to some of the Nashville system towers I have to use ATT as the signal is so strong it overloads the scanner front end.

And yes I think the RS 800MHz antenna provides an improved signal over the stock one. But that will not help if the signal is already too strong.

How does it work when you are out near the interstate? When I drive thru it seems ok on my 106.
Doc

akaLTD

I've tried with the ATT on and off .. didn't seem to make any difference. I haven't been out close to I-81 so not sure how it does there. In the car I've mostly been in the area of 1-26 and State of Franklin and again ATT didn't seem to make a difference while in the car.

I noticed there is some sort of tower on the next ridge from where I live .. maybe 1-2 miles away. How can I tell if it's a cell tower? If it is a cell tower could that be causing my problems? It's not quite in line between me & the Buffalo tower but it's close.

After re-reading the forums, it was said the 2nd tower for Washington County was located atop the detention center??? It's only about 2-3 miles from me. I thought the 2nd tower was located in Gray, not Jonesborough. Can anyone tell me for sure where it's at?

akaLTD

Well after further searching & reviewing I've found out where the Gray tower is located. According to FCC Callsign: WNNS431 map it's located 172 Ramsey Drive. Looks like I'm about 4.7 miles from the Gray tower & about 6.5 miles from the Buffalo Mtn tower. The Gray tower is closer but I have a better line of sight to the Buffalo tower.

So I assume that is probably my problem with the p25 signal breaking up?? Would a directional antenna help in this situation???

akaLTD

I think it would possibly. Give a little bit more of clear signal and won't miss as much things.
Thanks. If a do try a directional antenna would it be better pointed toward the closer tower or one that has the better line of sight with fewer obstructions? There are a lot of small ridges between me & Gray, whereas nothing higher between me & Buffalo .. just a few trees that are starting to leaf out ..oh and that other tower which I'm not sure what it is .. could be cell tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.