Pro 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdb585

Premium Subscriber
Why is it my PRO-106 does very poor when driving around. The reception is terrible. When at home not moving works great. When driving at lower speeds it also does fine. But anything above 30 mph it just doesn't seem to do well....WHY IS THIS?

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Mine is the same way. You might get better reception with an external antenna on it. Inside the car, you are limiting your reception anyway, and moving around doesn't help it much. I get that with all of my handheld scanners, not just the Pro-106.

kilowa22

Do you use an external antenna on the car? If not you are experiencing picket fencing where the rapid change in position in a all metal car is causing the signal to drop. If you can't use a magnet mount or permanent antenna there are window clip & suction cup BNC mounts that you can use with the car window that will work with any scanner and a simple BNC antenna, but I use a Radio Shack Telescoping antenna:

Duckie Suction Mount with BNC
Duckie Window Mount with BNC
Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna - RadioShack.com

xpawel15x

Happens because a scanner with a ducky inside a car does not get enough reception, the aluminum body of the car shields much of the reception, signals can only get through the windows of the car to your handheld scanner. But it also has to do with the area you live in. I live in a rural area with 2 sq mile towns, so the repeaters around here are low power and the terrain varies widely. It is nearly impossible to monitor with a scanner inside the car while driving in my area. The reception will keep breaking up... I installed an outside mobile antenna on my trunk and now it's great because the antenna is outside without any obstruction (aluminum roof) and so the reception is much better, the way it's supposed to be.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I listen to my Pro-106 in my car with my rubber duckie stock antenna and usually I have good reception - I don't really want to put an external antenna/window clip or anything on my car because I take my scanner in my house out of my car occasionally so it is easier just to leave the rubber duckie on there - at home I use a longer antenna. Overall, I am happy with the reception I get while driving. I guess it all depends on where you are, though.

I have the 800MHz (RS) on mine. I get pretty good reception when driving around. So I'm pretty happy.
The one funny thing is though I can pick up Eastern Wayne of Michigan, but I have trouble picking up Detroit PD because the Antennas on the towers are bent inward to not interfere with the Canadian side of Winsor. Also my Location of Course since I'm in Macomb County. But once in while I will get l pick a good Detroit PD Signal.:) If I lived further south in Macomb County I would pick them up just fine.:)

jdb585

Premium Subscriber
Happens because a scanner with a ducky inside a car does not get enough reception, the aluminum body of the car shields much of the reception, signals can only get through the windows of the car to your handheld scanner. But it also has to do with the area you live in. I live in a rural area with 2 sq mile towns, so the repeaters around here are low power and the terrain varies widely. It is nearly impossible to monitor with a scanner inside the car while driving in my area. The reception will keep breaking up... I installed an outside mobile antenna on my trunk and now it's great because the antenna is outside without any obstruction (aluminum roof) and so the reception is much better, the way it's supposed to be.

Sounds like we live in near identical situations. I just thought it was funny that at lower speeds I got find reception, but at 55 MPH it sounded like it was way behind and was breaking up quite a bit. So annoying I just turned it off. I will look into an external antenna sometime soon...just don't know much about them. A little green to the hobby. Just picked it up a month ago.

SCPD

QRT
pro106 static

If you get interference with the pro106 while driving you will get a bad reception for your analog system,
because of the electronics of the vehicle electrical system. but not the digital system. An outer antenna
helps some but not all that much for analog system. My pro106 does the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.