Pro-106

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng645

The volume knob broke off my Pro-106 , where can it be taken to replace the knob assembly? or are there parts available to do it yourself?

eng645

Would it be time to upgrade to Pro-668? or just purchase another Pro-106. I have everything I need to program the Pro-106.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
The only place I can think of that would repair these units is G&G Communications, but it appears that they list the volume knob as out of stock. You should probably still try to give him a call to check.

I would skip anything RadioShack branded at this point if you are going to look for something brand new. There is no support for those scanners, so you might run into the same issue in the future with lack of parts & repair options. If that isn't a concern, then you might be able to find something fairly cheap on eBay or somewhere else.

You probably want to take a look some of the Whistler offerings if you want to stay with similar programming style to your Pro-106. They show good signs of providing support for their customers. They have released fixes and major features, such as DMR support, for their Pro-668 equivalent (WS1080/1088) scanners without prior promise of it.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I would skip anything RadioShack branded at this point if you are going to look for something brand new. There is no support for those scanners, so you might run into the same issue in the future with lack of parts & repair options. If that isn't a concern, then you might be able to find something fairly cheap on eBay or somewhere else.

You probably want to take a look some of the Whistler offerings if you want to stay with similar programming style to your Pro-106. They show good signs of providing support for their customers. They have released fixes and major features, such as DMR support, for their Pro-668 equivalent (WS1080/1088) scanners without prior promise of it.
I'd have to agree completely. Anything "Radio Shack" is no longer being supported, and your repair options are at best very limited.
Would it be time to upgrade to Pro-668? or just purchase another Pro-106. I have everything I need to program the Pro-106.
Looking at your county, there are no P25 Phase II systems currently. If none are coming (that you've heard of), and there are no Phase II systems in areas near you, or that you visit, then changing to a Pro-668, or the Whistler equivalents does not gain you much.

The Whistler model that operates the same and uses the same programming is the WS1040. It's under $250 on Amazon, but you may well find one cheaper on eBay, Craig's list, or perhaps a local pawn shop or yard sale.

alex5774

The Whistler model that operates the same and uses the same programming is the WS1040. It's under $250 on Amazon, but you may well find one cheaper on eBay, Craig's list, or perhaps a local pawn shop or yard sale.

It went as low as $206 last week. I snatched one up and I'm loving it so far.

eng645

So you can use the same programming cable and radio reference to program the Whistler 1080/ WS 1088 scanner?

Last edited:

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
So you can use the same programming cable and radio reference to program the Whistler 1080/ WS 1088 scanner?

Programming cable is different, but Whistler includes a USB programming cable and software (on the included SD card) for all their scanners that can do Phase 2. The included software updates once a week from RadioReference Database.

DJ11DLN

So which model would be better the WS1080 or WS1088, the pro's and con's of each.
They are the same internally; WS-1080 is out of production, AFIAK, and lacks the numeric keypad. 1088 has the latter. If you like doing manual entry stuff, you want the 1088, if you just program from the E-Z Scan software and find a 1080 at a good price, I'd go for that.

eng645

I really don't want to manually enter the data, are you able to import to the scanner from radio reference with the WS-1080 only?

DJ11DLN

I really don't want to manually enter the data, are you able to import to the scanner from radio reference with the WS-1080 only?
Both of them use the same software, which is included, and both can be programmed identically with it. There's no charge for RRDB access either, that comes with the radio. The 1088 has a numeric keypad so it's easier to manually program...the 1080 can be manually programmed, but it's more difficult and involves a lot of use of arrow keys etc. Good scanners, but the audio won't be on par with your 106...I don't think anything on the market has matched that series (GRE500) for overall audio and decode quality.

The 1080/1088 will also decode Phase 2, if that ever becomes a problem for you, as well as DMR, which is a growing mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.