PRO-106

Status
Not open for further replies.

dward42586

Premium Subscriber
Tulsa PD and other local agencies are in the process of migrating from Motorola Type II to APCO25 Phase I.

They have set up simulcast for these site.

My PRO-106s have gone berserk trying to decode digital signals on analog talk-ids. I no longer receive any digital. Analog is at the best very intermittent.

I have tried roam and stationary plus many other settings with threshold.

No luck.

I have to believe that the simulcast is the problem. Before that happened, I received analog and digital signals just fine.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Pro 106

I have the same radio, and also deal with a simulcast system. Trying different locations in the house and/or different antennas may help. One suggestion I read even suggested using a paperclip as an antenna. The problem is usually two different tower signals and the timing when they are received. Sometimes an outside directional antenna will be the best solution. The attenuate may also help the problem.

GeneseeCoMI

Have you changed the system type for the new digital talkgroups to P25? The 800/900 setting is only for analog systems. I made this mistake back when I first programmed my Pro 106 for the Michigan statewide system eight years ago.

drayd48

First, as said above, make sure you switched the system over to P25.

Second, digital does not travel as far as analog (almost a 25-30% loss) and receives in funny areas. Some digital trunked systems I receive only work in the window seals and nowhere else in the house, and some work better sitting in the middle of my house or in the basement. 800 digital is really funny to mess with.

Third, your antenna make the biggest difference. Look up the system and the tower locations with the FCC license. These are mostly accurate. If you sit in the middle of 2 sites, you will probably have to get a directional antenna as said above. The paperclip antenna works very well, only if you are really close to the tower site. If you are a bit farther away, you may have to take a really bad and old antenna that does not receive as well to get just that one site. If that does not work, then most diffidently the directional antenna will work

Hope this helps. Thanks.

dward42586

Premium Subscriber
I've connected it to the discone antenna which is at 30ft ht ususally in use with PRO-197 with no better reception.
The PRO-106 does great when used mobile in Tulsa. I live about 2 miles inside the range for the site Im having trouble with.

Status
Not open for further replies.