Pro 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

blharo233

Hello,

I recently started using a pro-106 scanner again. I had not used it for years and it was programmed by radio skack back in the day. I can hear some of the frequencies programmed and never really learned much about the radio. I was wondering about the Global "G" and Att "A" functions and which would be better. Also, any recommended antennas and suggestions. I live and listen to areas in southern Colorado, so frequencies i can hear are not live for online listening. I am looking for suggestions on setting up the scanner for the best listening as possible. Thanks in advance.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I recently started using a pro-106 scanner again. I had not used it for years and it was programmed by radio skack back in the day. I can hear some of the frequencies programmed and never really learned much about the radio. I was wondering about the Global "G" and Att "A" functions and which would be better. Also, any recommended antennas and suggestions. I live and listen to areas in southern Colorado, so frequencies i can hear are not live for online listening. I am looking for suggestions on setting up the scanner for the best listening as possible. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to RadioReference

Since you did not program the scanner yourself originally, I'd suggest that you take a look at some of the articles in the Wiki, starting with this one:
Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki
Also

The above Wiki pages, along with most others available there, have links to other pages for more specific details. Explore some of them as well.

Your Pro-106 was manufactured by GRE, for sale in Radio Shack stores. After GRE shut down, Whistler bought the intellectual property from GRE and has been been distributing scanners under their name. Anything you see as referencing the PSR-500, Pro-651, or WS1040 also applies to your Pro-106. The PSR-500 was the version made by GRE, and sold with their name on it. The WS1040 is the same scanner as yours, just built by Whistler. The Pro-651 is the RadioShack labeled version of the WS1040.

Take a look at the Easier to Read manual that covers your scanner, as well as the equivalent models I listed.

That will help you understand what you are seeing on the display.

As to what you might be able to hear in your area, you'd get better suggestions if you are more specific about your location. "Southern Colorado" would cover quite a wide area. Specify what city, or at least county, that you are in. You should also add that location to your profile so that anyone trying to help you can get a better idea of what might work.

As far as an antenna goes, the first thing to determine as what frequencies are used in your area. Then, you would get a more accurate suggestion as to what antenna is appropriate. I would also suggest that you have your thread moved to the Colorado forum. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.

blharo233

Welcome to RadioReference

Since you did not program the scanner yourself originally, I'd suggest that you take a look at some of the articles in the Wiki, starting with this one:
Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki
Also

The above Wiki pages, along with most others available there, have links to other pages for more specific details. Explore some of them as well.

Your Pro-106 was manufactured by GRE, for sale in Radio Shack stores. After GRE shut down, Whistler bought the intellectual property from GRE and has been been distributing scanners under their name. Anything you see as referencing the PSR-500, Pro-651, or WS1040 also applies to your Pro-106. The PSR-500 was the version made by GRE, and sold with their name on it. The WS1040 is the same scanner as yours, just built by Whistler. The Pro-651 is the RadioShack labeled version of the WS1040.

Take a look at the Easier to Read manual that covers your scanner, as well as the equivalent models I listed.

That will help you understand what you are seeing on the display.

As to what you might be able to hear in your area, you'd get better suggestions if you are more specific about your location. "Southern Colorado" would cover quite a wide area. Specify what city, or at least county, that you are in. You should also add that location to your profile so that anyone trying to help you can get a better idea of what might work.

As far as an antenna goes, the first thing to determine as what frequencies are used in your area. Then, you would get a more accurate suggestion as to what antenna is appropriate. I would also suggest that you have your thread moved to the Colorado forum. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.
Thank you!

tvengr

Well Known Member

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I recently started using a pro-106 scanner again. ... I was wondering about the Global "G" and Att "A" functions and which would be better.
I've always found it interesting that the G comes up on by default. But since the ATTenuator is off, it shouldn't matter. I always turn the G off manually just as a piece of mind. Typically, if I am going to use the attenuator, I'll apply it to a single frequency and not everything Globally.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I was wondering about the Global "G" and Att "A" functions and which would be better.

When you see the G in the display, it indicates that the global attenuation mode is available, but not functioning (or not turned on)... there is no attenuation of any signal coming in to the scanner.

When you see GA in the display, it means that the global attenuation mode is available, and it is functioning (or turned on).... to attenuate (or weaken) all signals that the scanner is receiving.

You can also attenuate individual signals while not in the global mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.