Pro 107 and Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike445

I am looking at adding a Pro 107 to my collection because I do a BUNCH of traveling around the USA and like the convenience of having the entire RR database at my fingertips. However, I also spend lots of time in Ontario Canada. I know I can add systems to the SD card via the Iscan program that comes with the 107. Can I add Ontario as another state in the STATES sections so when I scroll through the US states Ontario will come up as well? Then I could manually create the systems I want to monitor in Ontario UNLESS I can import from the RR database via Iscan (like in WIN 96/97). If anyone can help that would be great!! I'm looking at buying the radio on Friday.
Thanks!
Mike

DonS

You can program anything you want into the scanner via the included PC software (subject to what the scanner can receive, of course - you can't program P25 systems).

However, the RR database on the SD Card contains only the USA portion of the RR data and it cannot be altered by the user.

Mike445

Thanks Don. Can I save what I personally program onto the scanner on the SD card or will I have to program the scanner via computer every time I come back to Canada? For example if I put in 2 trunked systems and a bunch of conventional frequencies into, say, 3 playlists. Can I save those playlists to the SD card? Or the systems in those playlists to the SD card? If not can I still utilize the other 17 playlists on the scanner itself and not touch the 3 I make for Canada until I'm in Canada? I'm just trying to figure out how it works. This is a new animal for me. I like it though!! I am used to the Pro 96 and Pro 97 (and your software!). Just trying to wrap my brain around this before I pick it up Friday. Thanks so much!

telephone32

I bought a iSCAN radio on Monday.
Loaded software, tried to update database and program crashed. Uninstalled, Installed again 3 times
still problem When I click on shortcut it says it is already running, but I see nothing on the screen
on program is running. any thoughts

DonS

I bought a iSCAN radio on Monday.
Loaded software, tried to update database and program crashed. Uninstalled, Installed again 3 times
still problem When I click on shortcut it says it is already running, but I see nothing on the screen
on program is running. any thoughts

Did you update the software itself first? If not, I'd try that.

N8IAA

I am looking at adding a Pro 107 to my collection because I do a BUNCH of traveling around the USA and like the convenience of having the entire RR database at my fingertips. However, I also spend lots of time in Ontario Canada. I know I can add systems to the SD card via the Iscan program that comes with the 107. Can I add Ontario as another state in the STATES sections so when I scroll through the US states Ontario will come up as well? Then I could manually create the systems I want to monitor in Ontario UNLESS I can import from the RR database via Iscan (like in WIN 96/97). If anyone can help that would be great!! I'm looking at buying the radio on Friday.
Thanks!
Mike

I'm guessing from previous discussions in the sticky, that if you put your own SD card programmed with what you want to monitor, into the scanner, you're good to go. Correct me if I am wrong DonS.
Larry

ab6xs

Premium Subscriber
Are you logged into your computer as the "Administrator" ? If not, there may be restrictions on your computer which will not allow you to install or for that matter download updated information.

DonS

I'm guessing from previous discussions in the sticky, that if you put your own SD card programmed with what you want to monitor, into the scanner, you're good to go. Correct me if I am wrong DonS.
Larry

Yes, you could do that. Each SD Card could have its own version of "programming" (the contents of the card's CDAT directory). Swapping cards would give you different "programming".

Another method would be to use an external device, one that has an "SD Card reader", and manipulate the directory itself. For example, you could have "CDAT" (the normal working directory), plus "CDAT01" through "CDAT99" (different "configurations"). Plugging the card into an SD-enabled device (phone, laptop, etc.), you could copy/rename directories. It would be similar to "V-Scanners" on previous GRE scanners - though you have to remove the card to manipulate them.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
ATTEN: Don , im sorry to change the "thread here" but i sent you mail on this, as i purchased a new computer, redownloaded my Win96 to the desk top using Windows 7 but the download is Windows-Vista on your site, its still unzipped till i find out from you will it work ok on Windows7, i use Win96 to reband my RS2096...Thank You very much....Ron in Joliet

DonS

i purchased a new computer, redownloaded my Win96 to the desk top using Windows 7 but the download is Windows-Vista on your site, its still unzipped till i find out from you will it work ok on Windows7

To my knowledge, all of my WinXX apps run just fine on Windows 7. Personally, though, I've only run them on 2000, XP, and both 32- and 64-bit Vista.

Mike445

WIN96 and WIN97 both work fine on Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit. I have both on my Windows 7 machines and they work flawlessly.

I bought my Pro 107. Works awesome. I can't add my own program to the SD card cuz right now I'm using an Acer Aspire One mini laptop and when Iscan opens u I can't see anything on the bottom of the program cuz its cut off. I'm guessing that when you turn simple display off the tabs to expand and add your own objects is a the bottom of the screen? I'll have to try it on my desktop when I get home.

Now, can I save more than one configuration to the SD card? If so how? Is it in the manual cuz I can't seem to find it! If so how and how do I access the 2 configurations from the scanner menu? Thanks so much.

My first impression of the radio is very good. its well built and quite sensitive Signal Stalker II works great. I took it to target to test it and it picked up the workers in seconds. SO far I LOVE the radio!! I'll love it more when I can get another configuration for Ontario Canada on the SD card!!

Mike :)

mciupa

Database Admin
I'll love it more when I can get another configuration for Ontario Canada on the SD card!!

Mike :)

Mike, be sure to let us know the results for Ontario in the Eastern Canada Radio Discussion Forum. :wink:
It may be time to retire my BC-245XLT and pick up a "107" :)

DonS

Now, can I save more than one configuration to the SD card? If so how?
You can, but you have to do it "manually" on the PC - there is no provision in the scanner for switching between different configurations. The scanner's "configuration data" is stored in the CDAT directory at the root of the SD Card. The scanner ONLY reads/writes that directory.

To have multiple configurations, you have to do something like this:
  1. Create configuration #1. This will be the "CDAT" directory.
  2. With the SD Card in a PC (or other device than can read/write it), rename the CDAT directory to something else (8.3 names only, please). For example, "CDAT_01"
  3. Create configuration #2. This will be a new CDAT directory.
  4. To toggle between configurations, you'll have to put the SD Card into some device in which you can rename the directories. Change the existing CDAT to something else (maybe CDAT_02), then change CDAT_01 to CDAT.
You can also use the PC app to create your different configurations. You'll find the CDAT directory under "My Documents \ iScan". If you create multiple directories / configurations via the PC app, you'll have to manually copy those directories from the PC to the SD Card - the PC app only manipulates the CDAT directory. You might also have to close / re-open the PC app, so that you only rename the CDAT directory while the app is closed.

If I was doing the above, I'd use my cell phone as the "other device". Since my phone takes microSD cards, I'd use that form factor - putting the microSD card into an "SD adapter" when inserting it into the scanner.

Mike445

Thanks Don!!! I'll just use a separate SD card then. I'll have an Ontario SD card and the stock SD card for the USA. OR, I can edit the current configuration and add the Ontario systems I want to Playlist 15-20. That would work too!! Thanks so much Don!!!

Mike445

MCUIPA....Hey Mike. I'll post in that group as soon as I get back to Canada and test a few systems in a configuration! So far, here in NY state, I love the radio!!
Mike

Mike445

Thanks for all y'alls help. I got it programmed via my computer. Easy to do. Works like a charm. I just saved the systems I need for Ontario Canada in 4 of the playlists which I renamed to reflect it. I still have a ton of empty playlists to use for importing systems or frequencies for places I'm passing through. I love this radio!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.