Pro-107 Battery Charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

jperonto

I noticed that while I was charging batteries with the PRO-107, the bottom of the unit became quite warm. I took out the batteries and they were quite hot. I had the switch in the correct position, used the correct cable plugged into a Sony 5V 500mA power plug that accepts usb to ac. It was set in the ipod position. Sometimes when charging this way I will get a "charging complete" message and other times it just says "charging" This was the first time that I felt it get hot, but there seems to be no ill result, the scanner works great. I may keep the charging away from the scanner and do it in my charger.So far I can get more than 12 hours with freshly charged batteries. The Rayovac Hybrids have been very good. Just make sure if you are charging with the scanner to check on the warmth during this process.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
It is a rudimentary built in charger. It works but at what cost to your quality batteries? I did it occasionally with the pro97, but thought better of it not because of any damage that may occur to the radio but more so that a decent battery is an investment if charged properly. I charged the batteries the first time in the 107 using my laptop but didn't notice it getting warm.

I too use the rayovac hybrids and got 10-12 hours after charging them in a professional charger. I play around with different chargers like the Maha C9000 and the Sanyo Eneloops charger. I do my analyzing and repair with the Maha and use the 7-10 hour Eneloops charger 350mA? for traveling and everyday use. I found a set of Eneloops at Camera World for 12$ which are considered some of the best batteries.

I would just get used to having several sets of quality batteries,in holders, charged up and ready to go, esp the hybrids as they are advertised at staying up to 85% for a year.

jperonto

The Rayovac Hybrids are on sale at Target for $7.99 for four AA's. I believe this deal will be good until January 30th.

Status
Not open for further replies.