Pro-107 Battery Life ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
I recently bought a Pro-107, and think it is great--it is high time someone made something that
doesn't take the concept of "complicated" to the absolute breaking point! I applaud that...

One item, however, that I am finding disconcerting is that the battery life seems to only last
about 4-5hrs--usually indicating it is getting low --only after-- using it for 3hrs

Do I have (perhaps) a setting set wrong? --- though I haven't changed any of the defaults....at least
I think.. I haven't.

Just can't believe the battery life would be --this short!!!-- Anyone experienced the same? Thanks.

n5ims

What batteries are you using? There is a great deal of difference in the effective run times when using the various types of the common AA batteries. In my setup, I found that I get the best run time by using two sets of the NiMH rechargable batteries that have a high mAh value (2500 or so). I never recharge them in the radio, but when one set dies, I swap it out with the other set and give the spent set a full charge in the external charger made for them.

rdrokker

There are some things you can do to extend battery life.First adjust timing to turn off back lights,than use power button when you want to use them.Second use high mah rechargeable batteries[make sure to flip switch in battery compartment].I have had no problems,here, at home with leaving rechargeables in scanner and using the rs 110v to usb charger.It's been running for 2 months straight.I have to agree, the 107 is great,once, you master the software.

kcoleman

One of the things I've done is to turn the LED off on the buttons, I only keep the screen LEDs on. I also use a higher mAh battery. Currently I'm using 2250 mAh batteries and as mentioned I keep two sets, so that one set is charged while another is in use. I bring mine to work and usually get somewhere around 10-hours out of it before I have to swap the batteries out.

Keep in mind the volume setting and the amount of traffic on the radio will also affect your battery life.

Good Luck,
Keith

martidav

KI7VLV
Premium Subscriber
I keep it plugged in alot. At work I use the USB cable it came with, connected to my laptop. At home, I plug the supplied cable into a USB extension cable, which then is plugged into the multitude of USB wall chargers I have (including the iPhone). In the truck, my phone charger has a USB plug as well to use with included cable. Plus, those USB car charges are cheap at Dollar stores.

I have also found the PC/IF port is a standard size port used by many Bluetooth earpieces for [wall] charging - these have really long cords - so I nerdily plugged it in the kitchen. NOT to be confused with mini-USB, coz it ain't.

Batts: I have found the best so far are the Rayovac Hybrids. Even though they're NiMh, the package claimed no memory effect. I've found that to be the case so far. So, I charge them in the scanner from time to time, say at bedtime or a long day of Web-feeding. A 15min charger is handy to have as well. I suppose earphone usage might extend batt life as well.

The Energizer Lithiums are good in a "pinch" and last me a week in busy metro Seattle - best pricing seems to be Target, they're still spendy batts however.

I have the light mode set on Key Mode, but since the display is dim and tends to have glare, I have all playlists light up so I may see and to annoy my girlfriend at night. Even so, the batts last a while with my style of use.

Last edited:

223Addict

Do you have the swith in the battery compartment set to the correct battery type?
I own this scanner, and have actively scanned at full volume, full contrast, with both LCD and Keybad illuminated for nearly 15 hours non-stop before I even hit the low battery alert.
This was with a set of "enercell" (radioshack brand) alkaline batteries.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.