Pro-107 Missing A Lot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwh

Hello all! Short time lurker and first time poster here.

Well, my county recently re-banded (Fayette County, GA) and after working with a few folks in our Ham Radio group and local PD reps I think I finally got the new frequency assignments figured out. Since my old Pro-95 can't handle the new re-banded frequencies on the Motorola system I went ahead and bought a Pro-107. It was delivered today and I've been playing with it over the past several hours. I generally like the concept of the radio and to start I have my county system programmed in as the only active playlist.

The problem I'm facing is that the 107 is only picking up about 50% of the traffic. I can track what is happening because I reprogrammed my old Pro-95 to scan the county frequencies in a non-trunked mode and I'm listening to both radios simultaneously.

What I've noticed is that when the 107 picks up a transmission it identifies the talkgroup, but the 'CC:/VC:' display line at the bottom of the screen (Control Channel/Voice Channel?) flickers intermittently as though there is a signal strength issue, and no audio comes through. However, the same conversation is coming in fine on the Pro-95. It doesn't appear to be a 'tower' issue - for example I will hear a conversation from our local jail just fine on the 107 then just moments later a transmission on the same talkgroup will be missed.

Just to be sure, I have the squelch turned off on the 107 and have the 'better' antenna mounted on it (a RS 800 mhz)

An ideas? If it is a receiver sensitivity issue I'm very disappointed and this thing may be headed back to the Shack.

bee

I returned mine back to the "shack" because of such a low "volume level". but i was satified with frequencies that was preprogamed!

bwh

I returned mine back to the "shack" because of such a low "volume level". but i was satified with frequencies that was preprogamed!

Well, it's not the audio level. In fact, I'm quite impressed with the audio quality of the 107 - it is clearly better than my Pro-95.

I don't think it is an overall receiver sensitivity issue, either. I can program in the settings for adjacent counties (non-trunked) and the 107 picks those transmissions up fine.

I honestly feel the issue is the trunking settings, and most likely 'operator headspace and timing'. Problem is I'm the first kid on the block with the 107 so I'm blazing new territory.

Here's the new frequencies as provided by our PD rep, along with the band plan settings. Now, these settings are what he used to program his Uniden 346XT so I'm not sure how the band plan information factors in to programming the 107 (I can't find out where, or even if, I need to enter these settings).

Site Type: "Mot Custom/Rebanded"

System Band Plan (enter these exactly):
Lower Freq Upper Freq Step Offset
851.02500 854.0000 25.0 440
851.0125 868.9875 25.0 0

Thanks!

mikey60

Hello all! Short time lurker and first time poster here.

Well, my county recently re-banded (Fayette County, GA) and after working with a few folks in our Ham Radio group and local PD reps I think I finally got the new frequency assignments figured out. Since my old Pro-95 can't handle the new re-banded frequencies on the Motorola system I went ahead and bought a Pro-107. It was delivered today and I've been playing with it over the past several hours. I generally like the concept of the radio and to start I have my county system programmed in as the only active playlist.

The problem I'm facing is that the 107 is only picking up about 50% of the traffic. I can track what is happening because I reprogrammed my old Pro-95 to scan the county frequencies in a non-trunked mode and I'm listening to both radios simultaneously.

What I've noticed is that when the 107 picks up a transmission it identifies the talkgroup, but the 'CC:/VC:' display line at the bottom of the screen (Control Channel/Voice Channel?) flickers intermittently as though there is a signal strength issue, and no audio comes through. However, the same conversation is coming in fine on the Pro-95. It doesn't appear to be a 'tower' issue - for example I will hear a conversation from our local jail just fine on the 107 then just moments later a transmission on the same talkgroup will be missed.

Just to be sure, I have the squelch turned off on the 107 and have the 'better' antenna mounted on it (a RS 800 mhz)

An ideas? If it is a receiver sensitivity issue I'm very disappointed and this thing may be headed back to the Shack.

Since the database doesn't appear to have been updated yet, I'm guessing that the radio doesn't have the correct trunking tables in it to track the rebanded system. Looking at the database, there are only two frequencies that once rebanded will work with the old standard table.

Mike

bwh

Well, I got it figured out earlier today. One of those 'duh!' moments.

I had not set the offsets in the trunking tables. Once I got those set things worked fine.

Some initial observations:

1. Overall performance of the radio is very good. As compared to my Pro-95 the audio quality (and volume) is very, very good. I like the form factor (small but not too small). The concept - a digital database driven radio - is very good but the user interface is still a bit rough on both the hardware and programming software side. I would not rate this as a 'beginners scanner', more a scanner with a different interface and operating concept. If you have to build a system definition from scratch (like I had to do after my county re-banded) then getting it right is as much a challenge as it is on any other scanner.

2. The programming software iScan, while powerful and so far bulletproof, breaks just about every Windows interface standard known to man. Since I have used Win95 for some time I got it figured out in short order, but for someone new to scanning the structure and layout will be confusing and, to many, off-putting.

3. Battery life is pretty good - maybe 5 hours on a set of cheap alkalines with the display light on full time.

I guess the bottom line is, would I recommend this scanner to a fellow scanner enthusiast? Yes, without hesitation. Would I recommend it to someone new to the hobby? Only if I could sit down with them and walk them through the setup and programming process.

Overall I'm very pleased so far. The gripes I ouline above are relatively minor and I'm fascinated by the concept of a digital database driven radio. Can't wait for GRE/Radio Shack to come out with a digital version!

bsmith123

I had not set the offsets in the trunking tables. Once I got those set things worked fine.

1. Overall performance of the radio is very good. As compared to my Pro-95 the audio quality (and volume) is very, very good. I like the form factor (small but not too small). The concept - a digital database driven radio - is very good but the user interface is still a bit rough on both the hardware and programming software side. I would not rate this as a 'beginners scanner', more a scanner with a different interface and operating concept. If you have to build a system definition from scratch (like I had to do after my county re-banded) then getting it right is as much a challenge as it is on any other scanner.

2. The programming software iScan, while powerful and so far bulletproof, breaks just about every Windows interface standard known to man. Since I have used Win95 for some time I got it figured out in short order, but for someone new to scanning the structure and layout will be confusing and, to many, off-putting.

3. Battery life is pretty good - maybe 5 hours on a set of cheap alkalines with the display light on full time.

I guess the bottom line is, would I recommend this scanner to a fellow scanner enthusiast? Yes, without hesitation. Would I recommend it to someone new to the hobby? Only if I could sit down with them and walk them through the setup and programming process.

Overall I'm very pleased so far. The gripes I ouline above are relatively minor and I'm fascinated by the concept of a digital database driven radio. Can't wait for GRE/Radio Shack to come out with a digital version!

I sure wish you could walk through it with me because i'm about to lose my mind. I got my little town to come through but the surrounding towns i cant get at all. I know this thing will reach far because i was about 30 miles away from where i live and could hear what was going on in my town that day but no other. Very frustrating

bwh

I sure wish you could walk through it with me because i'm about to lose my mind. I got my little town to come through but the surrounding towns i cant get at all. I know this thing will reach far because i was about 30 miles away from where i live and could hear what was going on in my town that day but no other. Very frustrating

bsmith,

Your issue sounds like a systems settings issue. The system settings in the RR database are probably incorrect for the agency/system you want to track. Or the other systems could be digital, which means the Pro-107 can't pick them up.

The RR database, while a heck of a resource, is only as good as the information that is submitted by users on systems they have information for.

I faced this very issue with my county system. I knew the settings in the RR database were wrong because our county had re-banded in late February. I had to buy this new scanner (the Pro-107) because the re-banding made my old Pro-95 obsolete. I had all the right settings going in, I just hadn't figured out how to get them programmed in.

I'm sure the issue is not the Pro-107 hardware or the iScan programming software. You just need the correct settings for these other systems. You might want to check with the local Radio Shack and see if they have the settings available.

Good luck!

jamesa53

Not sure if poster bsmith123 is asking how to enter custom trunking tables, but to do this, do the following:

In the iScan software, click on the Trunked Radio Systems Tab
Click on the Site you wish to enter the custom tables.
Click on the Site Options tab to the right.
On the Trunking Tables to the right, select Custom in the pull down menu
Click Edit
Enter in the values you want.
Click OK
If you want to apply it to all sites, click "Apply to All Sites"

rdrokker

pro 107

I've used the 107 for a few weeks now. I think it can do just about all things you want,if,you figure out the variables.Software needs to be used and understood.You can even enter frequeuncies,using the new channel button.I have no complaints.

jerryhope

My problem AFTER I stumbled onto the procedure you describe to enter the CUSTOM Tables, was That I had no idea what data to enter into the tables. Just as you did include this info, no where else could I find he need data.
I did find a formula to determine some of the settings, but it required the use of a "BASE" frequency for the equation. What is th ebase freq ???

I found the needed info for my Pro-163 and my ro-97, but NOWHERE can I find the info to setup the Pro-107..
I finally tried variations of the strings for the other scanners and now the Pro-107 SEEMS to be working, but who knows if I am hearing all the transmissions being broadcast

If you have the proper settings for the reband section, please post them to the forum and to me personally

THANKS

Jerry

jwitey

I am sorta a newby when it comes to scanners, I had a uniden trunktracker 300 channel about 10 years ago, I learned a lot about scanning back then. So anyway I decided to get another one, the pro 107. I too would really appreciate any advice on this subject! Although I got it yesterday and it took about an hour and I hear about five police municipalties, the thing never quits recieving distant and close signals. But I still am having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to edit the sd card with my own frequencies. And the trunking issue.
Hope to hear something from someone.
Have a great new years, John.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Not a lot of time to go into detail but make sure you set the Display Mode to advanced in the IScan software to see the "Conventional Frequencies" table where you can add or remove specific frequencies and the "Trunked Radio Systems" data tables including custom tables.

jwitey

Thank's, I really have not had the time and quiet to read the instructions like I need too. Benn doing a lot of reading today and am finding this to be somewhat easy, I really do not have much experience with scanners, so this is harder for me than it probably really is.

Last edited:

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
This radio takes a lot of the guess work out of scanning. Using the iScan software or the on radio selections. select the state, county, agency (or system), channels (or talk groups) and import to the play list of your choice (make sure it is enabled) and you are ready to listen. Be sure to press the "SEL" button after turning the radio on so it will start scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.