Pro-107 or Pro 164???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel1030

Hi all,

This is my first post. I currently scan with a Pro-94 and am contemplating either a 164 or 107. My wife has taken a slight interest in following the scanner from time to time and I have broadened my listening area. I want a scanner with alpha tagging to make it easier for my wife to know what agency she is hearing and to help myself learn the new agencies added to my listeneing menu. Although not committed to Radio Shack brand they seem t o offer the most for the $$. I am currently torn between the 107 and 164. The 107 makes me a bit nervous as it is totally different technology but I have an opportunity to pick up either a 107 or 164 for the same price.

Any thoughts/personal experience on the above or other options would be much appreciated.

Thanks

kcoleman

Diesel... First things first.... Welcome to Radio Reference :)

Both scanners are very good scanners. I do own the 107 but not the 164, but I do have the 97 which was the predecessor to the 164. Both radios have the alpha tagging that you are looking for.

You can go to the Radio Reference wiki at this link, Category:Radio Shack Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki, and check the list of features for each radio.

The volume on the 107 is going to be weaker than that of the 164. I've also found that the 107 is more susceptible to desense when using in higher rf environments as compared to some of my other radios.

If you do any traveling, keep in mind that the entire radio reference database is contained on a SD card of the 107, which makes for easy, on the fly programming without need of a computer.

You say the 107 makes you a little nervous, and I can understand that! It's structure is based on Object Oriented Memory management as compared to the bank and channel structure that we all know and that the 164 still has. Again I think this would come down to personal preference.

Dig around the wiki and forums, ask more questions, and determine your needs. There are plenty of people here that are more than willing to help you out.

Good Luck,
Keith

wb0wao

Diesel - welcome to the forums....

I have a '107 and I like it very much. While I am not the "target audience" for the '107, it has some advanced features that I find quite useful. I also had a learning curve with the Object Oriented Memory scheme, but once you get it you will see that it is superior to the old bank/channel scheme. While the '107 is touted by some as a "beginners scanner" or a scanner for the "technically challenged" it really is a serious piece of equipement that once you understand how it works and what it can do, it offers pretty much every feature that the current state of the art conventional scanners do. I think most opposition to it comes from the lack of a keypad and its unique method of programming. But I digress -

Either one would be quite suitable for what you are wanting to do. If you do go with the '107 I would strongly suggest that you get a couple of extra SD cards - I have found the ability to have different cards for different purposes very useful.

Dennis

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have the PSR-300, which is the same scanner as the PRO-164, but with the GRE brand (instead of RS). I do travel from area to area quite a bit and I find myself spending a lot of time building 'profiles' for my scanners. If you travel a LOT, and do not need digital (which neither of these scanners can monitor), then the '107 will be more ideal because of having the entire DB right there.

I happen to enjoy programming, and learning about new frequencies as much as the listening part of the hobby. Because of that I would pick the '164 (or PSR-300) over the '107.

The way these two radios are operated by the user is quite different. The '164 operates like a scanner (like your '94) while the '107 operates more like an iPod or MP3 player. With the '107 you build playlists and play them.

Diesel1030

Thanks for the Advice

Hi,

Thanks for the welcomes.

I decided on the 107. I was able to pick one up for $112.00. I should have it in a day or two. Can't wait to check it out. Seems very interesting. Everyone's advice is appreciated very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.