Pro-107 Poor Audio Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

13CA350

I have a Pro-107 I've been using for a Broadcastify feed but I've been disappointed with the audio quality. The scanner itself has poor audio quality on all channels.

Has anyone else run into a similar issue and have any recommendations? I am getting a lot of background noise when listening.

I am using a portable antenna and have a ground loop noise isolator on the way.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
AM or FM? If you're used to monitoring FM and you're monitoring AM, IE: Air Bands, AM will not sound near as good as FM.

Also are you using Alkaline or Ni-MH batteries or an AC adapter. NiMH only provides 2.4 V and Alkaline provide 3 V, .6 V more, which may or may not make a difference.

13CA350

AM or FM? If you're used to monitoring FM and you're monitoring AM, IE: Air Bands, AM will not sound near as good as FM.

Also are you using Alkaline or Ni-MH batteries or an AC adapter. NiMH only provides 2.4 V and Alkaline provide 3 V, .6 V more, which may or may not make a difference.

I'm using the adapter since it is plugged in all the time for the feed. I should take a look at the USB adapter I am using to see if it is pushing proper voltage.

The frequency is FM, a local EMS feed.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
What type(s) of background noise(s) are you getting? If you can share an audio sample, or post a video, it might help.

13CA350

What type(s) of background noise(s) are you getting? If you can share an audio sample, or post a video, it might help.

Here's a sample clip: Box

I'm just using a short antenna on the scanner, no external antenna. I can try and use it outside next time I am over where I have it running

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Here's a sample clip: Box

I'm just using a short antenna on the scanner, no external antenna. I can try and use it outside next time I am over where I have it running
I am not hearing any background noise, but some regular static on weak signals. This could also happen if the scanner is close to a transmitter, causing some desense of your receiver.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
The scanner itself has poor audio quality on all channels.
The sound sample you provided contains some clear transmissions so I wouldn't really come to this conclusion.

I'm just using a short antenna on the scanner, no external antenna.
You're going to need a better, higher antenna, preferably mounted outdoors to bring in the weaker scratchier signals a bit clearer. You won't be able to pick up much indoors with a short antenna

13CA350

I have upgraded my antenna since then, and now the audio is much clearer, but still not perfect. Is there any way with software to remove some minor background noise/ hum by adjusting the noise floor or bitrate?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have upgraded my antenna since then, and now the audio is much clearer, but still not perfect. Is there any way with software to remove some minor background noise/ hum by adjusting the noise floor or bitrate?
Hum can be from a ground loop, between the scanner and your sound card, especially if you are running through scanner from an AC adapter. Try running the scanner with the programming cable connected between the scanner and your PC.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Hum can be from a ground loop, between the scanner and your sound card, especially if you are running through scanner from an AC adapter. Try running the scanner with the programming cable connected between the scanner and your PC.
a ground loop isolator between the headphone jack and computer should fix that...see amazon for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.