PRO-107 programming cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone. I am not only new to this site but I'm also very new to scanners. I recently Bought a PRO-107 and it didn't come with a programming cable. Will any micro USB work or do I need something special. I noticed that Radio Shack doesn't carry the cable recommended on this site. Any help would be very helpful.

Thanks

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
RSU part number 12480224 for the Pro-107 CABLE ASSY USB will cost you $42.89 plus shipping and is In Stock. This item can be ordered through the POS system in ant company owned Radio Shack

jamesa53

If memory serves me correctly, the cable is only used for updating the CPU version and for charging the batteries while in the scanner. You can update the RRDB Library, import frequencies and program the scanner using an SD card port in your computer in conjunction with the iScan software.

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
Upgrading firmware on PRO-107

If memory serves me correctly, the cable is only used for updating the CPU version and for charging the batteries while in the scanner. You can update the RRDB Library, import frequencies and program the scanner using an SD card port in your computer in conjunction with the iScan software.

I believe that you are absolutely correct. I recently got the unit on eBay and I'm not sure of the firmware version and if it's up to date. I need the cable so I can check that and update if necessary. I've already updated the RRDB. I travel a lot and I'm testing it on some conventional channels that I'm close to until I can get to some trunked ones back home. It's working great on those but it needs to work at home.

Thanks for the info.

PS: Is there a way to check the firmware version without connecting it to the computer? That would be nice to know how to do.

bbriand

Premium Subscriber
I had a USB to Serial adapter that I converted into a USB to TTL adapter, took an old camera cable that used the same USB connector as the Pro 107 and created a cable. Looking at prices for a USB to TTL converter and the price of a USB cable on ebay if you are comfortable cutting the USB cable and stripping some wires I would say you could easily build a cable for under $10.

Might require a multimeter unless you devise a way to ensure you are putting the 5 volts and ground to the right USB pins. The USB cable I cut actually used the same colours as I found on a pinouts reference site.

Cheers,
Bill

srletend

Premium Subscriber
I had a USB to Serial adapter that I converted into a USB to TTL adapter, took an old camera cable that used the same USB connector as the Pro 107 and created a cable. Looking at prices for a USB to TTL converter and the price of a USB cable on ebay if you are comfortable cutting the USB cable and stripping some wires I would say you could easily build a cable for under $10.

Might require a multimeter unless you devise a way to ensure you are putting the 5 volts and ground to the right USB pins. The USB cable I cut actually used the same colours as I found on a pinouts reference site.

Cheers,
Bill

I used a Radio Shack 20-047 USB scanner cable I had laying around to build a cable for the Pro-107. I built an adapter to the stereo plug (GND, TX, RX) and I needed to supply the +5v to the Pro-107 from a separate hacked male USB Type-A cable. The male plug for the Pro-107 came from an old digital camera cable.

YMMV - Use at your own risk...

Attachments

• Pro-107 Female - low.jpg
    Pro-107 Female - low.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 1,096
  • DSC01501 - low.jpg
    DSC01501 - low.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,493
Status
Not open for further replies.