Pro-107 Wildcard Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I have one large trunk system programmed in across 14 playlists. The trunk system has 59 sites and over 800 tg's. I am using wildcard! 's on each of the playlists.

Playlist 001 - wildcard group 15040 comes up on the screen because playlist 001 has 2 common sites with playlist 002

Playlist 002 - has 15040 locked out from it's configuration.

Playlist 003 - shows wildcard tg just as playlist 001

Question is - When all three playlists are active if I hit the skip button or try and lock out tg 15040 on playlist 001 or playlist 003 does it lock out just the tg or does it lockout / skip the whole "wildcard" entry?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
From the Wiki: "Talkgroups can be associated with a single system. Systems can be defined as multi-site for statewide and networked systems. Talkgroups can be members of multiple scan lists. There are "Scan Lists" where you group the objects you wish for scanning. You do not need to enter frequency or talkgroup info more than once as you can just use those "objects" in the scan lists as you desire."

Also, don't forget the default scanlist is #1.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Dave

You've given an excellent reply to my question and after you posted I decided to try and lock the tg out or skip an unwanted tg. When I used the "skip" or "lockout" it locks out the "Wildcard!" tg instead of doing away with the unwanted tgid in a specific playlist.

The iSCAN is not as intuitive as one might think. It may be advantageous to post my experience about this in the Pro-107 forum - but it appears if you break up a system's tgid list into several playlists and you don't want certain tgid's on one playlist but want them available on another - as long as they all share "sites" - two distinct and separate full playlists must be maintained. One to tell playlist 1 it's ok to play and any other enabled playlist it's not. When the Wildcard! tg is enabled.

So all playlists for this system must have all tgid's listed and each playlist either configured for an individual tg to either allow it to be played or to lock it out entirely from that individual playlist.

Does this make sense?

Last edited:

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
So all playlists for this system must have all tgid's listed and each playlist either configured for an individual tg to either allow it to be played or to lock it out entirely from that individual playlist.

Does this make sense?

Not to me, Only put those talk groups in a play list that you want to listen to. example:
all police in playlist 1,
all fire in playlist 2,
only police and fire dispatch in playlist 3
only wildcards in playlist 4.

Then you can switch between each one with out having to lockout and unlock talkgroups.

w2xq

Mentor
Amen to KC5EIB Doug's organization suggestion. I do it a bit differently, by regions, but the same concept. Something like this:

Burlington County (Police/Fire/EMS + McGuire AFB)
State Police
Camden County (P/F/E)
Philadelphila (ibid)
Mercer County (ibid)
Electrical Power (e.g. PSE&G, Atlantic City Electric; we're on the dividing line)...

and so forth. If something is breaking in Burlington, I can simply temporarily disable other playlists. When we lose power to, say, a hurricane/tropical storm, then I might listen only to Burlington and Electrical Power. Hope this helps.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
So if I understand the suggestion correctly -

Limit the number of wildcard entries to only specific scanlists / playlists instead of having them on all
scanlists /playlists?

And maybe I missed the definition of wildcard - does the wildcard entry allow unplublished / new tg's to be seen on the scanners display? Or is the only way to see new tg's and other info to run unitrunker?

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
So if I understand the suggestion correctly -

Limit the number of wildcard entries to only specific scanlists / playlists instead of having them on all
scanlists /playlists?

And maybe I missed the definition of wildcard - does the wildcard entry allow unplublished / new tg's to be seen on the scanners display? Or is the only way to see new tg's and other info to run unitrunker?

Wildcards allow the scanner to receive any talkgroup on the system, not just the ones entered into a scan list. Your last two questions are basicly the same. and the ansqwer is yes to both

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for clearing that up for me.....will rethink the wildcard entry and how it's used.

Status
Not open for further replies.