Pro-107 Yes Or No ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrethan

Premium Subscriber
My Two Cents...

The Pro-107 is a nice device. My biggest complaints relate to the programming software. As far as I can tell it is impossible to download frequencies to a spreadsheet. The software permits uploading of frequencies from a spreadsheet but without being able to download the frequencies already stored, organization becomes impossible. As a result I can't really arrange my frequencies in alphabetical order, or other sorted fashion. Alphabetical order is important since to monitor a specific frequency (rather than scan) you have to step through the object lists.

The GRE-PSR-700 software permits more than double the number of play lists available on the Pro-107. Since the PSR-700 and the Pro 107 are really the same, I wish RS would consider enabling more than the current 20 play lists in their next firmware/software release.

Entering a frequency on the fly is not something the manufacturer seems to be concerned with. They don't make any mention of it in the manual. The best way I have found to monitor a certain frequency on the fly is to use the limit search feature (entering the desired frequency as the high and the low), then store the frequency.

My biggest complaint really isn't so much with the scanner as it is with the RadioReference database. Alpha numeric descriptions are not always clear, and it has hardly anything pertaining to businesses, museums, retail outlets, etc. If listening to the police, EMS, and fire is your objective then the radioreference database is probably great for your needs. For me, I haven't been that happy with it.

Minor quirks that might be considered for the next model:
1) Introduce a keyboard lock (the worst is hitting the weather button!).
2) Introduce a customizable menu/submenu option where "Favorite Frequencies" could be stored for quick access.
3) Introduce a hotkey which could be programed to play a specific frequency, enter stalker mode (which takes time to initiate scrolling through menus and sub-menus), etc.

Also, the plastic by the screen is easily scratched. I've only found one case available online (and it is not padded). There is no belt clip either.

Using 2 high capacity Ni-Mh batteries and headphones I tend to get 12 hours or more from the device. Carrying a spare set i know I'll be able to listen for 3 days without any worries.

Despite my criticisms, I love this device because of its small size and non intrusive interface. I don't like walking around with an attention grabbing device and the Pro-107 is perfectly designed to slip into my hoodie, or back pocket.

wb0wao

The Pro-107 is a nice device. My biggest complaints relate to the programming software. As far as I can tell it is impossible to download frequencies to a spreadsheet. The software permits uploading of frequencies from a spreadsheet but without being able to download the frequencies already stored, organization becomes impossible. As a result I can't really arrange my frequencies in alphabetical order, or other sorted fashion. Alphabetical order is important since to monitor a specific frequency (rather than scan) you have to step through the object lists.

This was intentional as I understand it, one of the restrictions for them to use the RR database was that it would not be able to be "extracted" from the '107

The GRE-PSR-700 software permits more than double the number of play lists available on the Pro-107. Since the PSR-700 and the Pro 107 are really the same, I wish RS would consider enabling more than the current 20 play lists in their next firmware/software release.

I agree that this would be a nice addition. But it is not only the software that you use in setting it up, but the firmware in the '107 itself that needs to be changed in order to do this.

Entering a frequency on the fly is not something the manufacturer seems to be concerned with. They don't make any mention of it in the manual. The best way I have found to monitor a certain frequency on the fly is to use the limit search feature (entering the desired frequency as the high and the low), then store the frequency.

The '107 was never designed for direct entry, but your method is a good workaround.

My biggest complaint really isn't so much with the scanner as it is with the RadioReference database. Alpha numeric descriptions are not always clear, and it has hardly anything pertaining to businesses, museums, retail outlets, etc. If listening to the police, EMS, and fire is your objective then the radioreference database is probably great for your needs. For me, I haven't been that happy with it.

To the issue of the text tags - this has been an "issue" for quite some time. What is a good tag for you many not be a good tag for me! However, if the tag that is in the DB is wrong or too vague, submit a change to RR. The issue with business users in the RR database is an area that should be discussed now because it appears that there is a movement afoot to put the entire database into scanners (PRO-107/GRE 700 and HomePatrol). This should also pertain to Federal users as well as they are woefully lacking in the database as well.

mrethan

Premium Subscriber
Pro 107 and Downloading to Spreadsheet

If it is not possible to download from the 107 to a spreadsheet, I might revert to the methodology formerly utilized with my Pro-164. I'll download the Radioreference database to a spreadsheet and then simply upload to my Pro-107 rather than use the manufacturer's intended "simpler" approach of adding frequencies with the software. This way I can sort frequencies alphabetically, easily label the tags in accordance with my preferences, ensure duplicate frequencies are not entered in the same playlist, and enjoy the copy/paste features associated with spreadsheets. I haven't explored how to enter trunked frequencies and talkgroups. Hopefully this can be easily incorporated into a spreadsheet too. Does anyone know?

This was intentional as I understand it, one of the restrictions for them to use the RR database was that it would not be able to be "extracted" from the '107

I agree that this would be a nice addition. But it is not only the software that you use in setting it up, but the firmware in the '107 itself that needs to be changed in order to do this.

The '107 was never designed for direct entry, but your method is a good workaround.

To the issue of the text tags - this has been an "issue" for quite some time. What is a good tag for you many not be a good tag for me! However, if the tag that is in the DB is wrong or too vague, submit a change to RR. The issue with business users in the RR database is an area that should be discussed now because it appears that there is a movement afoot to put the entire database into scanners (PRO-107/GRE 700 and HomePatrol). This should also pertain to Federal users as well as they are woefully lacking in the database as well.

jwitey

IMO the iScan is possibly the future in scanners. Why not have an updated computer set of frequencies that you can program with your computer apparantly pretty easily from what I have seen from the reviews. I just got one because I want to spend more time listening than trying to program a newer scanner. That's just me though. I was going to get the 106 but I read a lot about it being dfficult to program, I had a scanner like that in the past and I heard a hell of a lot, but I also spent a LOT of time programming it, true I could have asked for help but I did not have a computer when I had the scanner, a bearcat 300 channel trunktracker. Anyways I still will have 30 days to send it back.
Merry Christmas, John

Status
Not open for further replies.