Pro-107 Yes Or No ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CStarr59

Ok for all you loyal RS fans out there who have a pro-107, is it worth it? I'm considering buying one tomorrow and I need some real feedback. How is the audio from the speaker, is it like other GRE radios with hiss? How is the reception? And how easy is it to set up? Also is it well built? These are my questions, and I appreciate all who reply. I read the entire IScan thread from start to finish, all 330 posts and I can't get the answers I need. I just need a quick review of this radio, Yes Or No ?

I'm also considering a BC346XT so if anyone can compare the two it would be greatly appreciated !

Last edited:

IEscanner

Ok here you go..

pro-107, is it worth it? Yes
How is the audio from the speaker. Clear for me volume is good
How is the reception with the upgraded antenna good as good if not better than my Pro-2051
And how easy is it to set up. Very easy a child could do it.
Also is it well built? I think so normal use it should last years..

I was going to buy the BC346XT but got the pro-107 I think both are great.

Lou

jamesa53

If its an analog truck tracking scanner that you are looking for, my vote is yes.

Big advantage is it is small and lightweight. Has good audio and display.

You can have multiple SD cards and store multiple configurations.

Some minor items:

1. To modify your files or upgrade the RR Library you have to extract the SD card from the scanner and plug it into an SD reader. This involves removing the batteries.
2. Charging it with the existing USB cable is not convenient unless you have a computer that runs 24 X 7. You can buy a 110 AC to USB Adapter but these are not cheap.I have been charging the batteries externally.
3. It helps to understand the RR database structure in advance. I certainly would not claim its so simple to set up that a child could do it.

But would I buy it again?----YES.

fatmouse

I just got mine yesterday and here is my 2 cents.
out of the box I like the fact that they give you the usb / serial adtp. and you don't have buy it seperate.
the feel is solid and has a little wieght to it. the only design flaw i can find so far is the removal of the SD card for programming I have large fat fingers and it makes it a little clumsy.
without reading the manual the set up is real easy, i found that using the set up on the computer very easy. ( make sure your computer had a SD card reader) . I am sure there are a lot more features that avialible but I just set it up and started listening.
I found the recption to be on par with most RS mid / high end andheld scanners, there is a little hiss but i have found that most of the RS handheld scanners have this, it is tolorable.
the volume is loud enough to hear over car noise.
all in all I am very satified with the purchase i am sure that as I get deeper in to programming more features I will find more likes and dislikes.
I hope this helps.
Todd B

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
2. Charging it with the existing USB cable is not convenient unless you have a computer that runs 24 X 7. You can buy a 110 AC to USB Adapter but these are not cheap.I have been charging the batteries externally.

I picked up a USB AC charger for less than 10 bucks shipped from ebay. I use it to charge my IPOD and GPS also in the home.

fatmouse

USB charging a Pro-107

The charging / uplink on this scanner is a USB type B, any charger that works with cellphones, MP3 players, Etc. with this type of end. will work to charge (rechagable batteries) this also holds true to use in a car with a 12volt version of these type of chargers. check you state laws about using scanner in a car. if you are using alkiline type batteries the scanner will bypass the batteries and power the unit from the USB port. Nice function.

jamesa53

....this also holds true to use in a car with a 12volt version of these type of chargers. check you state laws about using scanner in a car. QUOTE]

Unhappily in Indiana this is illegal without a Amateur License....

mrkelso

I bought the 346XT instead I messed with the 107 and it just wasn't me.

IEscanner

If its an analog truck tracking scanner that you are looking for, my vote is yes.

Big advantage is it is small and lightweight. Has good audio and display.

You can have multiple SD cards and store multiple configurations.

Some minor items:

1. To modify your files or upgrade the RR Library you have to extract the SD card from the scanner and plug it into an SD reader. This involves removing the batteries.
3. It helps to understand the RR database structure in advance. I certainly would not claim its so simple to set up that a child could do it.

But would I buy it again?----YES.
I certainly would not claim its so simple to set up that a child could do it. That's a figure of speech..

CStarr59

Well, went to the shack today to get the pro-107. They had one on display and new ones for sale, I really wanted to like this scanner. But after closer inspection I passed and walked out without it. I'm sure it's a fine scanner, and it looks well made. I just can't deal with the ipod looks and controls, just not my cup of tea. I love the fact that it's got the whole RR database on a removable SD card. And if that feature was on a more traditional looking scanner, I'd be all over it. Oh well, guess i'll be sticking with my ol faithful PSR-300 until something better comes along. I've been looking at the BC346XT also, maybe after the holidays I'll pull the trigger on that.

DonS

after closer inspection I passed and walked out without it. I'm sure it's a fine scanner, and it looks well made. I just can't deal with the ipod looks and controls

Apparently, you're not in the "target market" for this scanner. The "ipod looks and controls" are there specifically to appeal to those who wouldn't buy a "more traditional looking scanner".

EDIT: Of course, the above is not meant as any kind of criticism. The vast majority of RadioReference members are not in "the target market" for the PRO-107. That scanner is meant to appeal to a different consumer: the one who doesn't know anything about scanning, has no interest in learning about trunked systems, talkgroups, scanner limitations, etc., but just wants to listen to the local action. That target consumer is not put off by the PRO-107's appearance (i.e. how it is not like a "traditional scanner"); rather, he's attracted by that appearance.

Last edited:

hoser147

Don pretty well summed it up there, now if it were a digital I would consider it for a tote around scanner or for traveling it would be great. But there are alot of people out there who just want plug and play.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I will heartily endorse it, especially for a newbie. I gave one to my 80 year old father and he had it up and running in minutes.

CStarr59

Hey I think the features in it are really neat, just not the looks. Now if they would take that SD card with the RR database and stick it in the pro-137, it would be perfect for me. I couldn't ask for anything more.
I'm sure I could "warm up" to the looks of the pro-107, but it might take some time and it would have to be a really good performing scanner for me to buy it. Hey different strokes for different folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.