pro 137 antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaser915

Premium Subscriber
I would like to change the antenna that came with the pro-137. I am not as well-versed on the terminology as many of you are- but can someone confirm that the adapter that I need to connect say the radio shack telescopic antenna, is an SMA male to a BNC female. Would that be right?

I went to radio shack today with scanner and telescopic antenna in hand asking for the correct adapter and was told first by a regular employee and then by the manager that there is no such connector- but I have a hard time believing this.

thank you for any help.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
sma adaptor

I would like to change the antenna that came with the pro-137. I am not as well-versed on the terminology as many of you are- but can someone confirm that the adapter that I need to connect say the radio shack telescopic antenna, is an SMA male to a BNC female. Would that be right?

I went to radio shack today with scanner and telescopic antenna in hand asking for the correct adapter and was told first by a regular employee and then by the manager that there is no such connector- but I have a hard time believing this.

thank you for any help.

Try looking around and google.com is a great place to find them. Do you have a "Fry's Electronics" nearby? Or something like that better than Radioshack? The sma to bnc adaptors do exsist. You could also consider just buying a better sma antenna? Forget the adaptor all together. Look through the antenna wiki.

nanZor

How about just a better antenna with an sma connector on it to replace the stock unit?

My favorite substitute that fits perfectly well on the 137 and looks like a factory fit is the Icom FA-S270C antenna that comes with the Icom R5 handhelds and other Icom models. Perfect fit on my 137 and works well - at least for my needs. There are many other sma-connectorized scanner antennas available and reviewed here, although I wanted a perfect fit with better performance than the original.

Yes - you'd want an sma-male to bnc-female if you want a bnc-connectorized antenna. However, you can bypass the whole adapter by just using the FA-S270C Icom, or perhaps a Diamond SRH-77CA (a bit top heavy) or any of the other "SRH" Diamond models.

Status
Not open for further replies.