PRO-160 Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7MRT

Premium Subscriber
Have this radio monitoring local trunked systems on 2-3 different banks. Occasionally, as a talk group becomes active, then not... the scanner "sticks" on that talk group with what sounds like an open carrier. It then begins picking other talk groups on that TRS on the sticky channel? Ideas??

To clear the problem, I have to punch 'scan'....and then it works again for a bit..till the next time.

Additional info... It seems to stick on 858.2375...every time.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Is it getting hung up on the same TGID each time? Or is it just the same frequency each time? Or both? Is it only the Washington County Simulcast system/bank you're having trouble with? No trouble with the other systems you're monitoring?

K7MRT

Premium Subscriber
Is it getting hung up on the same TGID each time? Or is it just the same frequency each time? Or both? Is it only the Washington County Simulcast system/bank you're having trouble with? No trouble with the other systems you're monitoring?

Not the same talkgroup...but yes, the same frequency 858.2375. It will remain on the frequency after the talkgroup is idle...then whichever talkgroup pulls on 858.2375 will broadcast. It remains on the original talkgroup id...

I have also reset the radio (per Manual instruction on Page 67) and reloaded the software...same result; still sticks on 858.2375

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Not the same talkgroup...but yes, the same frequency 858.2375. It will remain on the frequency after the talkgroup is idle...then whichever talkgroup pulls on 858.2375 will broadcast. It remains on the original talkgroup id...

I have also reset the radio (per Manual instruction on Page 67) and reloaded the software...same result; still sticks on 858.2375

is 858.2375 a Control Channel? if not, try programing in CC only mode. Also try turning status bit to ignore and Set end code to ignore. FUNC+MAN/MENU will get you into this setting. But it also can be that this frequency is a Data Channel and not needed in the TRS line up for voice.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Ah, I just realized that system has been rebanded, that could be the source of your troubles. There is one new frequency that has a 0 in the fourth position after the decimal, 852.7000, which means that system will require a custom channel plan to track it properly. I suspect that what is happening is an active TG is switching to that rebanded frequency, but since the scanner doesn't know how to find it, it just hangs up on 858.2375 until there is activity on it.

Enter the custom channel plan per the attached file, that should cure your woes.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
is 858.2375 a Control Channel? if not, try programing in CC only mode. Also try turning status bit to ignore and Set end code to ignore. FUNC+MAN/MENU will get you into this setting. But it also can be that this frequency is a Data Channel and not needed in the TRS line up for voice.

858.2375 is not a CC, otherwise the scanner wouldn't be hanging up on it with voice traffic as the OP indicated.

The PRO-160 is set with CC Only mode On by default, so unless the OP specifically changed that setting, it's already operating in CC Only mode.

For Motorola Type II systems, the Status Bit and End Code should both be set to Yes, not Ignore.

If the frequency was a dedicated data frequency, then it would not be included in the TRS plan, in which case CC Only mode would never switch the scanner to that frequency in the first place. Motorola systems operate by switching to the FCC channel # as indicated by the CC, not the specific frequency itself. No frequency information is ever passed through the CC.

K7MRT

Premium Subscriber
I found the End Tone was set to Ignore... I changed it to Yes and it took care of the problem. Thanks for your attention!! I appreciate it.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Glad that worked, however you really still need to enter that custom channel plan I attached in the PDF, otherwise the scanner will likely not track TG's properly as they move to that one frequency, 852.7000. Keep an eye on it, if you don't see that particular frequency pop up, or you notice you might be missing some transmissions, the rebanding is the culprit and the custom channel plan is the cure.

K7MRT

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Yes I have the custom bandplan handy, I actually loaded it months ago but with the reset of the radio today, I'll need to re-enter. So far everything is working great without it, I understand they're throwing the switch on rebanding on Nov 20th in Portland, which is sort of a domino effect on the other TRS in the area with interoperability. I believe only the Clackamas TRS may need the custom band plan and perhaps the Western Washington County portion of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.