Pro-160 & Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

ion_op

Hi,

I just picked up a Pro-160 for $99. I can trunk the Somerset County system but only using the control channel only feature. It doesn't seem to work with the custom freq. table programmed unless I programmed it wrong. I followed the example in the manual.

Also, I cant seem to receive the Union County EDACS system. I know it went through rebanding recently. Does that mean the Pro-160 will no longer work?

The Wiki page says yes to Motorola rebanding support. Does that mean EDACS and LTR will no longer be supported after rebanding?

Tnx,

Mike

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The rebanding process effects neither system you are talking about, as far as scanner operation is concerned. Rebanding affects only 800 MHz frequencies, and scanners are only potentially negatively affected with regard to Motorola 800 MHz systems. Neither system here is a Motorola 800 MHz system. Even if they were, the Pro-160 would be able to handle the rebanding just fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the Union County EDACS system, you need to enter all five frequencies into their own bank to track it. You have to skip channel 00 in the scanner, and start on channel 01 so that each channel # matches the LCN listing # in the database.

The Somerset County system is a Motorola UHF system, so it has nothing to do with the rebanding process. The Pro-160 will track it just fine. Enter the four control channels for the Somerset County Simulcast site into their own bank, and make sure you enter them as MO channels in the scanner (Page 42 of the user manual).

You must then setup the UHF custom frequency table for that system into the bank's Custom Range. You will see the Base, Spacing and Offset information at the top of the database page for that system. Please note that the first three 50x MHz entries are for the Simulcast site, while the bottom two 47x MHz entries are only for the Franklin Township site, should you decide to add that system also. Page 52 of the user manual has the steps for adding the Motorola UHF/VHF system plans. Basically, it will be entered as such:

Base Freq 1/3 - 500.3375
Offset 1/3 - 25.0
Spacing 1/3 - 380

Base Freq 2/3 - 501.9125
Offset 2/3 - 25.0
Spacing 2/3 - 430

Base Freq 3/3 - 502.5125
Offset 3/3 - 25.0
Spacing 3/3 - 450

Also make sure that Set C-Ch Only is On, Set End Code is Yes and Set Status Bit is Yes for that bank.

Also remember, each trunked system and site must be in its own bank in the scanner. In the case of the Somerset system, that means if you are going to monitor the Franklin Township site, it must be in a bank separate from the Somerset County Simulcast site/bank. These are two completely separate systems as far as the scanner is concerned. If you decide to monitor the Franklin Township site, you must also enter the custom frequency table for that bank using the two 47x MHz frequencies in the custom frequency table.

Base Freq 1/3 - 471.000
Offset 1/3 - 12.5
Spacing 1/3 - 380

Base Freq 2/3 - 477.000
Offset 2/3 - 12.5
Spacing 2/3 - 600

Last edited:

ion_op

Hi,

My mistake with EDACS was starting with channel 00. When I now scan I see ED next to the frequency which I didn't see in the beginning.

For Somerset County I have the HIGH frequency programmed too. Should I ignore that and set it to zero? This is what's currently programmed.

Base 1/3: L 500.3375 H 501.8875
Offset 1/3: 380
Spacing 1/3: 25

Base 2/3: L 501.9125 H 502.4875
Offset 2/3: 430
Spacing 2/3: 25

Base 3/3: L 502.5125 H 512
Offset 3/3: 450
Spacing 3/3: 25

With C ch only set to YES it works.

End Code and Set Status Bit are now Yes. One defaulted to YES but I forgot which.

Tnx,

Mike

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Yeah the EDACS is an easy fix, and a commonly overlooked thing when programming. Then again, if the scanner's channel #'s started at 01, it wouldn't be an issue. Not sure whose brilliant idea it was to start them at 00!

Ah right, I had forgotten it asks for both the LOWER and UPPER frequencies. It looks to me like you have them programmed correctly, subracting the 25 kHz spacing from the next BASE as instructed.

When you say "With C ch only set to YES it works.", are you saying that the system tracks fine with your custom frequency table entered as you have them listed, including the UPPER frequencies? If so, then you're all set, there is nothing more to do. CC Only mode is the preferred method of tracking a Motorola system, there is really no reason to turn it off. You need only have the system CC's programmed (red and blue entries) and should ignore programming the other voice frequencies that might be listed.

The End Code controls how the scanner continues tracking the system after a talkgroup is no longer active, and Status Bit controls the way certain sub-talkgroups are handled by the scanner. Both should be set to Yes with a Motorola Type II system for best results. Both settings can be found on the main trunking menu for the bank.(Page 56 of the manual)

*Just a note, I accidentally screwed up the OFFSET and SPACING in my last post, switched them by accident. I'm sure you noticed but figured it was worth mentioning as I can no longer edit my post to correct the error.

Last edited:

ion_op

Hi,

I meant C-Ch must be set to YES for Somerset to work. If I turn it off I hear nothing. Should it still work with C-Ch off?

I have all 4 control channel programmed starting at 00. I'm assuming that's OK for MOT. systems.

I also have a Pro-106 to cover Digital as well but for local stuff the 160 will do just fine.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You should always scan Motorola systems in C-Ch Only mode. Having it set to YES is correct. No, it will not work with C-Ch Only set to OFF because none of the voice channels have been programmed, only the control channels. That is by design and is the whole point of C-Ch Only scanning, it makes it that much easier and more efficient to program and scan Motorola systems.

Yes for Motorola systems you can start at 00, that's not a problem. With Motorola systems, the scanner simply looks for the active C-Ch and doesn't care what order or what channel #'s they are entered in the scanner, as long as they are all in the same bank per system/site and are entered as MO frequencies, not FM. The order of the frequencies is not important either, you could enter them in random order in completely random channel #'s and it would still work just fine. Another benefit of the C-Ch Only mode.

EDACS and LTR require you to match the scanner's channel #'s with the LCN #'s. Usually they start at 01, but some systems can be a little tricky such as skipping LCN #'s, this is especially true on LTR systems. So you may wind up programming an EDACS or LTR system in channels 02, 04, 05, 08, etc if that is how the system LCN's happen to be numbered.

I have a 160 also and love it. It's great for the non-digital stuff, and has really great reception, very sensitive. I pick up distant signals with this scanner that I've had a tough time picking up with anything else. I got mine for the $99 closeout also, and I'm only sorry I didn't pick up a few more at the time, or the handheld version 162....what a steal for $99!

ion_op

Hi,

How do you get talkgroup text tags to display? I programmed tags for some conventional frequencies and they display fine at the top in big lettering.

When I scan I don't see the text tags for the talkgroups that have text tags. When I review the tg text tag it's a smaller font and below the ID-? line and not above.

What's the trick?

Tnx,

Mike

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The TG tags will also display large above the frequency when a programmed TG is active. The font is only small below the ID line when you're programming them. When the scanner stops on a programmed talkgroup, you should see ID Memory: 0-0 at the bottom of the screen. If the tag is not showing up and the ID # is showing instead, press FUNC + PSE/Text while the scanner is stopped on that trunked system and you should see the display toggle between ID and tags.

EDIT: Ok it took me a minute to find it in the manual, but it's at the top of page 45 for reference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.