Pro-160

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin390

Does anyone know what happened to the Pro-160 ? I tried to look up some information before I asked but there wasn't much I could find. I bought a Pro-163 but returned it. I had it about a week and it was great on trunked systems in my area but it blew on everything else. I have owned just about every Radio Shack Trunk-Tracker except the digital ones and this way by far the worse. I bought a Pro-162 after checking on it, hope when it gets here it is as good as people have told me. I did ask the salesman about the 160 but he didn't know anything so I was hopeing somone knew whats up with it. Once again thanks for your time..........Ray

N8IAA

Does anyone know what happened to the Pro-160 ? I tried to look up some information before I asked but there wasn't much I could find. I bought a Pro-163 but returned it. I had it about a week and it was great on trunked systems in my area but it blew on everything else. I have owned just about every Radio Shack Trunk-Tracker except the digital ones and this way by far the worse. I bought a Pro-162 after checking on it, hope when it gets here it is as good as people have told me. I did ask the salesman about the 160 but he didn't know anything so I was hopeing somone knew whats up with it. Once again thanks for your time..........Ray

What other freqs were you listening to? I have two banks that are trunked for my county and one other county. One bank on LTR, one for milair, and the rest are conventional. The LTR system is two counties away and comes in 5/5. Most counties that I listen in conventional mode are two or three counties away from where I live. Were you using the telescoping antenna that came with the radio? You shouldn't have. I am using a Larsen dual band mag mount antenna on a metal file cabinet. It kicks butt over simple behind the radio antennae.
Larry

kevin390

Allot of Fire here in Ulster County is low-band. Thats where I get allot of noise over-load I think its called. The UHF was no better. I would try the ATT button but it didn't help. The First antenna I tried was Radio Shacks Magnet-Mount. The second I tried was Radio Shacks 800MHz with a right-angle adapter. I even tried a MAX800 but nothing seem to help. I was hoping to get a pro-160 but there god knows where. I read the reviews for the pro-162 and thought I would give that a try. The shack doesn't have many trunk-tracker base scanners. Luckly I don't need digitial. If things dont change soon I think I am going to have to learn to like Uniden's

N8IAA

Allot of Fire here in Ulster County is low-band. Thats where I get allot of noise over-load I think its called. The UHF was no better. I would try the ATT button but it didn't help. The First antenna I tried was Radio Shacks Magnet-Mount. The second I tried was Radio Shacks 800MHz with a right-angle adapter. I even tried a MAX800 but nothing seem to help. I was hoping to get a pro-160 but there god knows where. I read the reviews for the pro-162 and thought I would give that a try. The shack doesn't have many trunk-tracker base scanners. Luckly I don't need digitial. If things dont change soon I think I am going to have to learn to like Uniden's

First, the 160 is not being made. Second, you are not going to get a whole lot of 46mhz frequencies with an 800mhz duckie. Did you put in the CTcss tones to keep from being blasted by pager towers? Hopefully, you didn't have the pager frequency programmed in. The 162 is a Uniden Japan radio. I still would go with the 163. Just my personal preference. It looks like if your area goes digital, it will be AEGIS. Not going to be heard on any scanner made, unfortunately. There is fire on the EDACS systems in your county. You could also go to the New York forum and ask what milair, railroads, etc., can be monitored in your area. I know this doesn't sound like a lot of help, but, in your situation there is not much for me to add.
Good luck in your choice,
Larry

kevin390

I know that an 800MHz antenna isn't the best thing for 46MHz frequencies. I just tried all the antennas I had, the stock, magnet-mount- which usally works great on my scanners, the Radio Shack 800MHZ and the 800MAX. As for programming them I do program the frequencies with the P/L and I stay away from the tones. I have had every Radio Shack trunk-tracker since the pro-2050 ( minuis the digitial ones) came out so programming them isn't a problem. As for the OPEN SKY system I hope thats years down the road. Well thanks for your help...........Ray

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
160 not being made?

Larry, where did you get that information from? I have been waiting for it to arrive with a passion. Can you please elaborate? I had not heard this.

Manny

N8IAA

Larry, where did you get that information from? I have been waiting for it to arrive with a passion. Can you please elaborate? I had not heard this.

Manny

Manny, from many posts in this forum and in Yahoo groups. If I am mistaken, then let the record show that I've apologized. Have been a scanner buyer from RS for more than 20 years, if it hasn't shown up in catalogs(old school), or on the website, it ain't happening. I would love to see a 2K channel scanner with adjustable banks( I know that the 160 doesn't have adjustable banks). I'll just wait till one comes along that is worth the purchase.
Larry

N8IAA

I apologize. I guess the 160 has FCC approval. It and the 162 are only 1000 channel scanners. What a shame that they couldn't make a 2K channel scanner. I'll still stick with my GRE made scanners until someone comes out with the 'wow' factor that I can't resist.
Larry

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Manny, from many posts in this forum and in Yahoo groups. If I am mistaken, then let the record show that I've apologized. Have been a scanner buyer from RS for more than 20 years, if it hasn't shown up in catalogs(old school), or on the website, it ain't happening. I would love to see a 2K channel scanner with adjustable banks( I know that the 160 doesn't have adjustable banks). I'll just wait till one comes along that is worth the purchase.
Larry

Larry,
No apology needed. I took an aspirin and it stopped my heart attack....LOL...I knew it was fcc type accepted. I just thought RS had decided not to go ahead with production or something. WOW, that was a close one....I love the heck out of my 162. It is the most used portable in my shack. A base/mobile version of that is just what the doctor ordered for my shack, Im sure........

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.