Pro-162 now on Radio Shack web site $199.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
FYI. VHF (150/160) narrow band channel spacing is 7.5 KHz. UHF (400/500/700/800) is 6.25 KHz.

Phil.

Terminal

scanernutt said:
Wasnt sure for a minute there. Thats why I put the (?) there. Thanks for the reminder!

Manny

Scanner wouldn't take any of those anyway, wouldn't even try and round them off.

I'll be at work till 1pm EST and will be checking this thread, so let the questions fly :)

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Houston, we have a problem!

"Scanner wouldn't take any of those anyway, wouldn't even try and round them off."

Why? My pro-84 which is as bare bones as a scanner gets, does round them off.
when I put in 151.0775 it rounds it off to 151.080. So if you are telling me that this new radio does not even accept them, then there is a problem.

Manny

Terminal

scanernutt said:
Why? My pro-84 which is as bare bones as a scanner gets, does round them off.
when I put in 151.0775 it rounds it off to 151.080. So if you are telling me that this new radio does not even accept them, then there is a problem.

Manny

That'll teach me not to read the manual, it was trying to skip to the channel # I put in, not the frequency. A bit different than the previous Pro's I've played with. Yes, it does round properly.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Alrighty then!
You had me worried for a minute there. Anyway, so how do you find the sensitivity? Do you get a lot of intermod where you are at? Birdies? ect....

Manny

Terminal

scanernutt said:
Alrighty then!
You had me worried for a minute there. Anyway, so how do you find the sensitivity? Do you get a lot of intermod where you are at? Birdies? ect....

Manny

Can't give too much of an opinion there, as our building here is all fluorescent lit. 30+ ballasts and 120+ tubes wreaks havoc on accurate results unless I lock out tons of the presets :(

It is at least as sensitive as our 2055 etc. using the OEM telescoping antenna. Signal Stalker also seems very sensitive, generally kicks in even when our custom programmed units pick up weaker signals from a town or two over.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Found a ratshack that has one!

Paul!
I am going to Ratshack today. I will get to the bottom of a lot of issues . From what I see on the manual, you CANNOT change modes. The pro-164 will not let you either. However, the 164 does supprt 7.5 khz tunning steps in the 136-174 Mhz. area.

Manny

DonS

scanernutt said:
From what I see on the manual, you CANNOT change modes. The pro-164 will not let you either. However, the 164 does supprt 7.5 khz tunning steps in the 136-174 Mhz. area.
My PSR-300, which should be identical in operation and functionality to the PRO-164, lets me enter 139.8750 and change the mode to AM. I tried it in both "Tune" mode and programming a new channel.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Well Don!
I may as well go rerurn this radio right now! I was under the impression that the channel arrangement was continuous. Yet the retards that were obvious ly doing drugs when they desingned this radio, were not thinking straight. Cant change modes, 6.25 khz but no 7.5, channels are all 00-49 in every single bank. WHy not just leave them continuous? Unbelievable. Its definitely going back!

Manny

Smerri

CStarr59 said:
I understand it a uniden, but is it built to RS specs? Did RS customize the specs to their liking before Uniden built it for them.
Oh I am dumb. I read it as a Uniden or GRE question.

Cannot answer the original question you posed.

Sorry.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
DonS wrote: "My PSR-300, which should be identical in operation and functionality to the PRO-164, lets me enter 139.8750 and change the mode to AM. I tried it in both "Tune" mode and programming a new channel."

Just tried this on my PRO-164, it'll do it.

I am amazed that they added the alpha text tags and CTCSS and DCS tones to this unit. Somebody at Rat Shack must have been listening. Will it do CTCSS/DCS tone decoding like the 164? And why did they move the light key to the otherside, seems like an expensive engineering change to me?

Mark

DonS

letarotor said:
DonS wrote: "My PSR-300, which should be identical in operation and functionality to the PRO-164, lets me enter 139.8750 and change the mode to AM. I tried it in both "Tune" mode and programming a new channel."

Just tried this on my PRO-164, it'll do it.

I am amazed that they added the alpha text tags and CTCSS and DCS tones to this unit. Somebody at Rat Shack must have been listening. Will it do CTCSS/DCS tone decoding like the 164? And why did they move the light key to the otherside, seems like an expensive engineering change to me?
To which radio are you referring? If the PSR-300, it's the same as the PRO-164 - just different packaging (and they won't clone to each other). The PSR-300/PRO-164 are, essentially, the PRO-97 "updated" a little.

If you're referring to the PRO-162... it's a Uniden radio, and won't necessarily share any features or design heritage with the PRO-164, except for the "RadioShack PRO-16" part.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Pro-162 Not a bad radio!

Ok So I'll eat a little crow!
I had a chance to play with both the 162 and the 164 at a local Rat Shack! I ultimately chose the 162. First of all, the 164 is GRE made. Thats an issue for me because every GRE I have owned, has had issues with intermod. This is obviously due to the high sensitivity. In the RF hell area that I live in and travel around, conditions make it tough for monitoring. Having said that, the 162 has held up pretty good so far. Second, I love the separate squelch and volume knobs. Third, If you are going to use the standard bank system then 20 banks of 50 channels each is better than 10 banks of 100 channels each. I also like the audio on the 162 which is a little cleaner and more midrange-like than the 164. What I found most impressive is the large LCD. It lets you see everything.....I mean the channel tags,the frequency, the bank tags, and the PL/DPL are ALL visible at the same time. Thats awesome! Sensitivity is there but not so much that intermod overloads the front end! With the squelch set just right and the tones on, the radio almost sounds like a commercial rig. Its that good. I have the radio next to my computer as I write this. Not one hint of interference. None of my other scanners can do that without some kind of noice from my wireless router or laptop! I cant wait for some type of software for this baby! Thats another thing, programming this baby is extremely easy. I was doing it with one hand. Really user friendly. I recommend it to anyone without any hesitation! Nice job Uniden!

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.