Pro-162 or Pro-164?

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
First of all these two scanners do support rebanding, correct? So when rebanding does occur, is there anything that will have to be done to them, or just reprogramming it myself? Also, which one do you think is better?

Statevillian

I have the 162. It is an 'OK' receiver. I like the smaller bank size. I got it because one trunked system I listen to uses the status bit function often. The key to the 162 for ME and only me, is antenna selection. That either will make you like this unit or hate it. A GREAT antenna tuned for the right bands you are listening to should give you a great experience. Throw the stock antenna out the window. Most antennas have (+) and (-). I have done some 'in house' testing with the 162 side by side with the Uniden 330, and the 330 really blows it away. Both units are Uniden made. If you could find a 330, that would be your best bang for the buck. I also compared it to the GRE300 and the GRE is far more sensitive on conventional channels. Trunking is actually neck and neck with those two. I can't tell you a thing about the 164. They 'report' it will support rebanding. How that will be done is anybody's guess right now. I don't know if it will be a download via your own pc, whether you will have to go in to get it done, or what?........

N8IAA

First of all these two scanners do support rebanding, correct? So when rebanding does occur, is there anything that will have to be done to them, or just reprogramming it myself? Also, which one do you think is better?

When rebanding happens, it will be digital. So, with an analog TT, it won't matter. Look to getting a Uniden, or, GRE digital scanner. Just my suggestion. I have a Pro-163 that is a recent purchase, and love it for my conventional and analog TT.
Larry

Statevillian

Really?........

Rebanding DOES NOT mean digital. No way. No how. The radios where I work were rebanded and they are still analog. Agencies in the path of rebanding here in Illinois that are digital systems will still be digital and the analog system users will still be analog. Not sure where you got your info from but it is not correct at all.

When rebanding happens, it will be digital. So, with an analog TT, it won't matter. Look to getting a Uniden, or, GRE digital scanner. Just my suggestion. I have a Pro-163 that is a recent purchase, and love it for my conventional and analog TT.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.