PRO-162 vs PRO-164

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stizz513

I'm new into the scanning world and am looking to buy my first scanner. I've been doing my research on here trying to figure out which scanner I should purchase between the PRO-162 and PRO-164. The $20 price difference at Radio Shack right now doesn't really matter to me. All I want to do is to listen to the 800MHz trunked police frequencies as well as fire and EMS in my area.
So my questions:
1. What are the main differences between the two scanners?
2. Which scanner is the "best bang for the buck"?

N8IAA

First, do some frequency detective work in the Radio Reference database for your state, county, and city. Find out if the systems are analog or digital(P-25) before putting out the dollars for a scanner. If analog, my biased opinion is the 164 because I just flat outright like GRE made scanners. I own the predecessor (Pro-97) to that radio, and recently bought the base/mobile version--Pro-163. I use Win97 to program the scanner with the RS programming cable(PN# 20-047). If your system is digital, then there is no other choice than to buy a digital scanner, if listening is that important. Unfortunately, they run more than double what the analog radios are priced at.
Do the detective work first and then let us know what you want to monitor:)
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.