Pro 163 & 164

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick97454

Premium Subscriber
I have a question about the attenuator on these radios. I am having some trouble i have activated it on some channels in the 154.000 mhz range and when it is active no activity is heard but when i turn it off everything comes through.

I guess the real question is..? What ranges is it good to use the attenuator and what ranges are not good to use it?

n5ims

The attenuator is there to reduce the signal strength (by about 20 dB I believe) to help reduce issues when strong signals are causing issues on your scanner. Most often it's used to help better receive simulcast systems on 700/800 MHz systems, but can also be used if you have nearby strong paging transmitters on other bands (generally 150 or 450 MHz bands).

If you're not having receiption issues with the attenuator off, there's no real reason to turn it on. If you only have issues on one or two systems, use the "single channel mode" and turn it on for only the frequency or frequencies for the troublesome system(s). If you're having issues on all (or nearly all) bands, you can set the global attenuation where it will be on for everything (a rather rare need). How to set the various modes is here in the "Using the Attenuator" section Easier to Read Pro-164/163 PSR300/C/400/C Scanner Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.