PRO-163 and PRO-164 Not Available Now???

Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

If they are company owned stores, they should not be available for sale.

I'm not sure if they are company owned or privately owned, but all the stores in my area were listed as having them in stock. So far I have not noticed any problems with either of my new scanners, PRO-164 and PRO-163, both purchased last week, boxes unopened.

Is it possible this was something related to the sale and the company stores were just somehow giving an advantage to the privately owned stores?

quads

I have Googled Pro-164 recall, pulled from shelves, fire hazard, melted batteries, etc. and this thread is about the only mention of any problems with those radios. If it was indeed a big problem that required them to be pulled from the store shelves at the time of their sale on them, I would guess it would be a little more widely known, but I can't find anything about it. My Radio Shack store has my name and address, so I guess I won't worry about it, they can call me if they need to.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I have Googled Pro-164 recall, pulled from shelves, fire hazard, melted batteries, etc. and this thread is about the only mention of any problems with those radios. If it was indeed a big problem that required them to be pulled from the store shelves at the time of their sale on them, I would guess it would be a little more widely known, but I can't find anything about it. My Radio Shack store has my name and address, so I guess I won't worry about it, they can call me if they need to.

But that would not explaine the recal of the pro-163 that does not use batteries.

mpd4128

I had the RS Pro-164 for years and never had issues with it. By far one of the best III trunk radios around.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the issue of melted batterie compartments:

I have owned two GRE PSR-500's in the past four years. The first one melted after only 6 months while I had the charge circuit ON with rechargable batteries inside and the factory issued wallwart in use.

The second unit (refurb issued by GRE to replace the first) melted after about two years of off/on use. This time the charge circuit was OFF with rechargable batteries inside.

There was never a fire but the ciruits were fried from battery acid.

The comparable RS verison is PRO 106.

Council_Bill

I was told Radio Shack has recalled the Pro-163 and 164 because of a "software issue." One can only speculate that they receive something that the FTC or FCC consider inappropriate. Otherwise "The Shack" wouldn't be in such a tizzy to get them back. They're paying dealers $3 each to get them shipped back. They are shipping the same models with a software upgrade (ver 1.10 instead of 1.01 or such).

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
163, 164

Both are still on the web site on sale. $159.99 no mention of not available.

QUOTE=Council_Bill;1706819]I was told Radio Shack has recalled the Pro-163 and 164 because of a "software issue." One can only speculate that they receive something that the FTC or FCC consider inappropriate. Otherwise "The Shack" wouldn't be in such a tizzy to get them back. They're paying dealers $3 each to get them shipped back. They are shipping the same models with a software upgrade (ver 1.10 instead of 1.01 or such).[/QUOTE]

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Both are still on the web site on sale. $159.99 no mention of not available.

That's true, as it was on the 10th but I still couldn't buy one when I went to the store. Even had it in my hand but the clerk couldn't ring it up. Plus they jumped the price by $10.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
That's true, as it was on the 10th but I still couldn't buy one when I went to the store. Even had it in my hand but the clerk couldn't ring it up. Plus they jumped the price by $10.

There was a period that the radios were not sellable in the stores. That is no longer the case. Current price is $159.99 for both radios.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I purchased a PRO-164 on 1/21/2012 during the sale for $149.99. (It's on sale again now)
Anyways, here's what my 164 displays: (I have not performed any upgrades. As-is from store.)
Boot Ver: F1.01
Appl Ver: 1.09

Also, I did see this thread discussing the changes someone saw from 1.08 to 1.09: http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...rmware-new-coverage-addendum.html#post1664860

If anyone has a firmware of 1.10, please take a look at an addendum that should've been included and advise of frequency changes.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Have been informed that the newest Firmware version (1.10) will be available to download on RadioShack.com soon.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
A quick update about this. The radios were indeed sent back to the RS warehouse for a firmware upgrade, and that is it. So everyone can quit the fear mongering about something being wrong with the radio. The radio's are available from RS.com and are being sent back to the stores with the new firmware installed.

The stores received word that the latest version of the firmware "1.10" will be on RS.com soon for customers who already own the 163/164.

Status
Not open for further replies.