PRO-163 and PRO-164 Not Available Now???

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Have heard through several independent sources in multiple geographic locations that the PRO-163 and PRO-164 have been pulled from all store shelves until AT LEAST Monday 13-Feb-2012 pending some sort of issue.

Anyone have additonal details???

oneeyebear

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a pro-164 a couple days ago for 150$ because it was an opened item... it seemed like every radio shack i went to was limited to display scanners or returned/open scanners.

N1BHH

Radio Shack usually doesn't pull stuff off the shelf unless it's the last item in the store and being sold to someone. I bet it's probably one of those urban myths, or it's just that they don't have many in stock.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Radio Shack usually doesn't pull stuff off the shelf unless it's the last item in the store and being sold to someone. I bet it's probably one of those urban myths, or it's just that they don't have many in stock.

Not in this case, all store stock of these scanners are not sell able in the stores. More info to be released on Monday, Feb 13th.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Clyde, this is not an urban myth. We were in fact instructed to hold these products in the backroom until further notice.

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Clyde, this is not an urban myth. We were in fact instructed to hold these products in the backroom until further notice.

I bought one this morning...However, I had to get it from a franchise store. The company store couldn't ring it up. Paid $150.

bbaker2050

Premium Subscriber
This is true. I tried to buy the 163 today and the girl would not sell it to me. She said they were told to take them off the shelves. The girl called her district manager and he told her it had something to do with manufacturer defects or something.

quads

I bought the PRO-164 Tuesday on sale for $150. Liked it so much compared to my 20 year old scanners that I went back to my local store Thursday and purchased the PRO-163 also on sale for $150. The owner of the store did not mention anything about availability. The only thing he said is that they normally aren't on sale for that cheap, usually $179 when on sale and $199 regular price. The sale ends today. I just checked Radio Shack's website for my area of central Wisconsin and it shows all the stores still have them in stock.

petrol88

So why are these being recalled? Is it dangerous? Should I worry about it causing a fire?

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
So why are these being recalled? Is it dangerous? Should I worry about it causing a fire?

I saw a few pictures on the Yahoo site of the rechargable battery holder melted. It's possible that this has caused a concern for RS till they can come up with a fix.
For me it's not going to be a problem since I don't plan on recharging the batteries in my 164. I have two sets of batteries and a stand alone charger.

I had considered changing the plug on a 9v 1a wallwart but after seeing the pictures of damage done changed my mind. The specs state that a 9v 500ma wallwart is recommended and I'm not sure the charger used to melt the plastic.

OK, Time for lunch....
Ron

quads

They are both still in stock and available at all Radio Shack stores in my area. (although not on sale anymore, full price) With my PRO-164 they sold me a 9v 800ma power supply. So far I have been leaving it plugged in all the time when the scanner is in the house (with rechargeable batteries) and it doesn't even get warm.

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
What melted...I give up.What?

Possibly an internal power problem common to the two models. Better for a corporation to error on the safe side then to risk a fire that could be fatal.

petrol88

Wow. Then shouldn't it be all (not just what is left in the stores)? What about GRE same models (PSR-300/PSR-400)? Now, you have me scared.

safetyobc

Last edited:

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
They are both still in stock and available at all Radio Shack stores in my area. (although not on sale anymore, full price) With my PRO-164 they sold me a 9v 800ma power supply. So far I have been leaving it plugged in all the time when the scanner is in the house (with rechargeable batteries) and it doesn't even get warm.

If they are company owned stores, they should not be available for sale.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
My guess ths that there is an issue with the software in the radio where it may be able to be hacked and then allow the radio to receive freqiencies not permitted. THIS IS JUST A GUESS ON MY PART AND NOT FROM ANY OFFICAL SOURCE.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Pro 163/164 issue is

A recent production of RS 20-163/164 scanners was loaded with the wrong firmware version. They are being recalled to update to the latest firmware. Only recent RadioShack production is involved, no GRE (GRECOM) brand product is involved.

shadcall

A recent production of RS 20-163/164 scanners was loaded with the wrong firmware version. They are being recalled to update to the latest firmware. Only recent RadioShack production is involved, no GRE (GRECOM) brand product is involved.

What is your source for this information? Why would they recall them to update the firmware version since I am assuming the user can update the firmware by using the programming cable Isimilar to the recent firmware upgrade for the Pro 106).

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Source is GRE.Well most of my walk in customer could not handle a upgrade. My question why doesnt each store do it.But I guess thats RS way to handle it.

What is your source for this information? Why would they recall them to update the firmware version since I am assuming the user can update the firmware by using the programming cable Isimilar to the recent firmware upgrade for the Pro 106).

Status
Not open for further replies.