Pro-163 Firmware upgrade error, Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1BHH

Be sure you are using the three conductor plug, the stereo 1/8 is the correct connection for the scanner. If your computer is not able to communicate with the scanner, you will get the error message "Unable to communicate with the scanner." The 2 conductor mono plug will not do. Make sure your cables are seated firmly in place.

JoeRock

Hello, Here is my issue: I've downloaded the 1.07 Firmware update and have attempted to run it but every time I get an error stating "Unable to communicate with scanner". I have verified the Com port, tried it with Win97 software and it works and made sure to hold the PGM button as I turn the scanner on. I do not understand what the problem is. An internet search and search on here turned up nothing. I even tried it on another computer and the same issue. Help!!! Thank you in advance.

I have the same exact problem, except I'm running Windows 2000.

@gmclam: Yes, the Pro-163/164 has two versions and I did try to install either one but receive the same error with both. I can not get past the test because something is not communicating properly. Still haven't tried a different USB cord yet. I will post again when I complete that.

JoeRock

@gmclam: Yes, the Pro-163/164 has two versions and I did try to install either one but receive the same error with both. I can not get past the test because something is not communicating properly. Still haven't tried a different USB cord yet. I will post again when I complete that.

What Windows software are you running? For those of us with this problem, I'm trying to find something in common to try and narrow down the cause.

See here: http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/117169-cpu-firmware-g1-04-psr300-400-a.html

Last edited:

Bob_61

I updated my firmware to version 1.08, It wasn't until a couple days later that I tried to update some talkgroups and I got a message saying something like unable to communicate,wrong model!! Since the leds with the cable were lighting up I paid more attention to the 1/8" plug (a little cleaning) and made sure it was in all the way and a little wiggly and I was back in business. Just thought this might help, good luck.

RyanMQ

No Data

I am not getting the same error, but similar situation.
Long store short. Ordered a cable (arrived, serial, mono).. Returned that, Got USB, Stereo.

WIN97 and PSREdit can both Upload & Download from the scanner.

PGM + Turn on =
Boot F1.01
App 1.07

I am trying to do the upgrade to 1.08 and this is always what I get.
www.doneyourway.ca/164v108error.JPG

Any ideas? Any Help would be appreciated

DonS

Did you install the drivers for the USB cable? (I presume you did, since Win97 and PSREdit300 can talk to the scanner.)

In the firmware upgrade app, are you selecting the correct COM port?

Does the scanner's display change at all?

RyanMQ

Did you install the drivers for the USB cable? (I presume you did, since Win97 and PSREdit300 can talk to the scanner.)

In the firmware upgrade app, are you selecting the correct COM port?

Does the scanner's display change at all?

Yep, installed the drivers first (Win7), then plugged cord in. Its detected properly in device manager.
First USB was Com4. Tried it. Didnt work. Tried other usb, Com5. Still didn't work.
Win97 and PSR both worked on Com4 and Com5 (I might even manually changed it to com5 in the device manager, not sure, doesnt matter though)

firmware app (you can see in background) was com5. tried when it was com4 also.

nope, scanners display does nothing when I press "test" on the firmware upgrade.
I ran VMware (running XP). Installed the drivers for the USB cable on that. Plugged the cable in, all detection happened and the cable installed fine. Didn't try Win97 or PSR on there (at least I dont think I did, I will tonight though). Ran the Firmware upgrade, same error as in the picture.

In other threads people have solved the issue but they don't really say how. IIRC someone said they tried a few months later and it upgraded.

RyanMQ

Here is an image of the device manager settings. I turned the buffers to low because at first (before i checked off some options in Win97, those images will come next) Win97 would download but gave a problem for uploading. Once I slid these bars to low, all worked fine.
www.doneyourway.ca/164-ComSet.JPG

RyanMQ

Hmmm. so I did a reply to your post DonS, but its being reviewed so its not there yet.. turns out quick reply goes up w/o review :p

RyanMQ

my scanner waiting for upgrade.
(on a side note, i moved the buffer bars back to high, win97 couldnt even download. going to move them back to low and try to download again just to be sure all is fine)
www.doneyourway.ca/IMG00056-20111123-1845.jpg

my mistake, i moved the buffer back to high and made sure i chose 164 not the 300 (I think I did that). Download is working at high buffer also

Last edited:

RyanMQ

Okay just wanted to show the com port this time with the error
www.doneyourway.ca/164v108-Com5.JPG

if you want me to show upload working fine I can.

When Uploading/Downloading, scanner display does change and shows the progress.
Message of course changes. Receiving/Sending

I am going to try and play with the buffer (maybe high send low receive). See if I can tweak something.

Last night I tried changing the bit rate even, turned on flow control as I remembered somewhere reading about selecting xon/xoff.

Will keep tinkering until someone comes up with a solution or I find one myslef

RyanMQ

Okay, so for the adapter settings in device manager, i clicked default to default everything back to normal.
The Buffer and other settings.
So here are images to show the scanner working. Uploading & Downloading. Tried to get downloading the first picture but got it right at the end when it finished.
Sending Data
www.doneyourway.ca/IMG00059-20111123-1910.jpg
Finished sending data (Win97 Downloading)
www.doneyourway.ca/IMG00058-20111123-1910.jpg
Uploading to scanner from Win97
www.doneyourway.ca/IMG00060-20111123-1911.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.