Pro 163 not picking up OKC sites on OKWIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

eharlow

Premium Subscriber
Well I moved in the new house and now none of the talk groups on the OKC simulcast site are picking up. I've even keyed up right next to the scanner and the 800 portable radio has great signal strength.

This is a RS PRO-163 and I've updated the firmware. I'm also picking up Logan Co SO clear as a bell off the Guthrie site.

Any ideas?

eharlow

Premium Subscriber
So I manually went through my frequencies and the OKC site control channels is popping up with full signal strength yet I don't hear any of the talkgroups.....any ideas?

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
My linited experience with RS Radios leads me to think that there is something not quite right in the programing, maybe the trunk setting? Was this radio just moved or reprogrammed? Does it pick up anything else? Weather?

eharlow

Premium Subscriber
Yeah....I could try moving it and seeing if it worked. Here's my problem with that though.....

It was simply just moved from an apartment to new house...no programming changes were made.

I've since then reprogrammed it and it's acting really weird now. I'm picking up a couple of talkgroups that weren't ever programmed into it to begin with. And now, when I use the ARC-300 software and try to add in the trunk tower sites, it won't add the frequencies to my list, just the talkgroups I select. Which does no good without the frequencies. I'm wondering if the updated ARC-300 software has a glitch in it.

eharlow

Premium Subscriber
Also, it's the Edmond sites that I'm needing to actually pick up. The talkgroups that I'm not picking up are only on the Edmond towers.

In the end, I guess the 163 could be fried too.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Yes it could be, pluging in a unit while it's on has always been considered a no-no, as is pulling the plug while it's on. I had a Pro-2067 go deaf as I drove down the street, seems it was a pretty common issue with these radios, as far as the ARC programming goes I have had that happen to me on several different versions of the SW so not sure it is version related....

eharlow

Premium Subscriber
Still having issues

Ok, so I finally brought my laptop home to add some new TG's to this thing. This time, I wiped it clean and started over.

I'm STILL not picking up the OKC simulcast sites. I will pick up anything from the Guthrie site crystal clear. I took the scanner outside of the house and it still won't pick up anything when I'm in clear line of site with one of the Edmond towers. What gives? Any ideas?

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you have multiple sites entered in the radio, since you have the LT home try another wipe and only program the Edmond site and then see what happens. Also open the site up on search and not scan and see if that works.

eharlow

Premium Subscriber
Well first, I opened it up and I was picking up EVERYTHING on the OKC sites crystal clear. Went back and programmed JUST the TG's I was wanting to scan and viola! It's working.

Do I need to put the different sites in different banks?

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
I do, but I don't have as many around me as you do. The scanner will Dewel on a site and if the site is too active it will never look at the other sites and when it does if they are not active it will pass right over them. Some scanners have adjustable dewel times for a site allowing for multi sites in a bank but I always like to be able to turn off a site at the push of a button if need be.

eharlow

Premium Subscriber
I've done that and it seems to work. I key up on a TG for the OKC sites and it's not opening up the scanner until I let off the transmit and it's picking up the residual repeater noise.

On the Guthrie site, it's picking up all traffic.

n5bew1

I've done that and it seems to work. I key up on a TG for the OKC sites and it's not opening up the scanner until I let off the transmit and it's picking up the residual repeater noise.

On the Guthrie site, it's picking up all traffic.

I am confused about " I key up on an TG for the OKC sites" Are you using a handheld to transmit at the same time as trying to hear the scanner talk back? Your handheld may overload the scanner being close to it and you won't hear anything until you unkey. Just thinking.

eharlow

Premium Subscriber
Yes that's right. You might have a good point. I'll just monitor and see how she works. Thanks.

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber
With the pro 163 here is a example if multi site control channels that are programed in bank 0 the scanner will lock onto the first contol channel in bank 0. when I first got my pro 163 I had the control channel set as the first channel in bank 0 channel 001 and the control channels for the other sites ie 002 an so on an all I could get was traffic on the Ada site, I placed the Ada site in bank 1 an the the TG's that was on the ada site, I also have a Pro 197 that has multi site, roam an stat an the scanner will scan each CC when set to stat scan all CC's .. try setting up the differat sites in differant banks on the pro 163.

Status
Not open for further replies.