Pro-163 or Pro-2055

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin390

I am still checking on a new scanner. I have 3 pro-2055's and I never had a problem with the LCD going out on me. (Knock on wood ). With the pro-2055 on clearence at a good price my question is this, Is the pro-163 that much better of a scanner then the 55? Which would you people buy? I don't think the pro-163 has had any problems with it so far. Thanks for any and all help...........Ray

jerk

I am still checking on a new scanner. I have 3 pro-2055's and I never had a problem with the LCD going out on me. (Knock on wood ). With the pro-2055 on clearance at a good price my question is this, Is the pro-163 that much better of a scanner then the 55? Which would you people buy? I don't think the pro-163 has had any problems with it so far. Thanks for any and all help...........Ray

Pro-163, because it programs the same as the 2055. It has updatability for rebanding.
It's a heck of scanner, just like the 2055, but has additional frequencies like 700 MHz for places like Ohio that have portable extenders there. Any updates needed can be downloaded and performed yourself.

If you are doing analog Motorola trunking, definitely the Pro-163.
If conventional or mil-air band, then the 2055 is the better bargain.

kevin390

No, what I think he means is the pro-163 has updateability for the rebanding. From what I am told rebanding will affect Motorola. In my neck of the woods there are only LTR and ED no Motorrola trunkin. The pro-2055 is also a triple trunk tracker, just can't be rebanded.......Ray

jerk

Newsalan
Does your comment mean the PRO2055 will not do Motorola trunking?

It does trunking, it will not do re-banded Motorola trunking, and I don't think it can be updated by (firmware) or software... At least nothing has been said publicly, and I don't think it is possible anyhow.

If it can be updated, it will require shipping back to Radio shack and a hardware fix. So if this is your intention, buy the 164.

If your not listening to anything Motorola, or planning too, then it will not matter.
Either one is a great scanner, it just depends what you want to monitor, both now and down the road.

I saw what i think was a Pro-97 in a pawnshop, (never go around closing time, lots of people paying and getting loans) If the price is right I'll probably buy it because of the tones and mil-air ability. No Motorola trunking locally, except digital, but one LTR system which will not be re-banded.

N8IAA

I am still checking on a new scanner. I have 3 pro-2055's and I never had a problem with the LCD going out on me. (Knock on wood ). With the pro-2055 on clearence at a good price my question is this, Is the pro-163 that much better of a scanner then the 55? Which would you people buy? I don't think the pro-163 has had any problems with it so far. Thanks for any and all help...........Ray

First, the Pro-163 is ready for rebanding by having the 700mhz frequencies in it. Second, it has more search ranges than the 2055. I own a 97, and there is a definite difference in reception. Third, Ulster Co. is populated with three EDACS systems. The two that are for cities in the county are standard EDACS, the third which covers multiple sites, counties, and cities, uses AEGIS. It is a proprietory digital system just for EDACS. Your county is on that system, but uses analog TG's, so you will be able to monitor them there. Also, you have a few conventional frequencies to monitor. All, in all, the 163 is a good choice for your new scanner. Looking to get a digital will not let you monitor the digital TG's for New York state, or the digital TG's on the AEGIS system. Railroads, milair, and other conventional frequencies are out there to be heard. I've had my 163 for over a month now, and it runs all the time when I'm occupying my radio/computer room.
HTH,
Larry

N1BHH

First, the Pro-163 is ready for rebanding by having the 700mhz frequencies in it. Second, it has more search ranges than the 2055. I own a 97, and there is a definite difference in reception. Third, Ulster Co. is populated with three EDACS systems. The two that are for cities in the county are standard EDACS, the third which covers multiple sites, counties, and cities, uses AEGIS. It is a proprietory digital system just for EDACS. Your county is on that system, but uses analog TG's, so you will be able to monitor them there. Also, you have a few conventional frequencies to monitor. All, in all, the 163 is a good choice for your new scanner. Looking to get a digital will not let you monitor the digital TG's for New York state, or the digital TG's on the AEGIS system. Railroads, milair, and other conventional frequencies are out there to be heard. I've had my 163 for over a month now, and it runs all the time when I'm occupying my radio/computer room.
HTH,
Larry

Rebanding doesn't mean that systems will shift frequencies to a new band, it means frequencies will be shifted within the current band. That is what confuses people. The new 700 Megahertz band is for expansion of overloaded frequency ranges. There are some systems which will shift to 700, but that is not rebanding, that is just licensing that takes place. The next generation of radios will have the capability of operating in both the 700 and 800 ranges, at present when shifting to 700, they need all new equipment, but that is neither here nor there.

Status
Not open for further replies.