Pro 163 programming issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrivas

My Pro 163 stopped trunking. I went to Radio Shack and bought the USB Scanner/PC Interface cable that came w/software. Everything installed fine on the computer, however when I click: Internet, Free Radio Reference Download (which I am allowed 2 free downloads) it then indicates "INIT not ok, can't read user data." Has anyone ran into this problem and if so were you able to correct this issue? Any help regarding this matter would be very helpful.

Thank you,
Lost w/out my scanner :(
Sacramento, CA

jfhtm350

I dont think i got any free downloads when i got my cable and cd software. Are you sure the driver for the cable got installed?
Plug the cable in the usb port. Go into the device manager, select view and click show hidden devices. Now click the + sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, and scroll down to see if USB Serial Converter is listed and working properly.
Also click the + sign next to Ports (Com & LPT), and see if your USB serial port (COM #) is showing.
If you dont see them then the driver is not installed.

You may have to initialize the scanner if it stopped working correctly also.

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
Since the database has recently changed, all the 'free' Butel software that comes on the CD with the programming cable is now out of date. You'll need to update to the latest version before it will download from RadioReference.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-163 programming

My Pro 163 stopped trunking.
It wasn't your scanner's fault that it stopped trunk tracking the Sacramento systems. Over the past two weeks the city and county systems' frequencies changed because of "rebanding". Here is a thread on the issue.

Unfortunately it is not just a matter of programming in new frequencies. You must also change the "band plan" in the scanner. The last I knew there is no way to do this by hand and software is required.

I went to Radio Shack and bought the USB Scanner/PC Interface cable that came w/software.
Can you tell us the name of the software that came with the cable? Note that there is software required just to run the cable and that is not scanner programming software. The PRO-163 uses the same software as PSR-300/PSR-400, go here for a list.

Lastly, some of us locals are going to meet next w/e to discuss these issues and help people get their scanners (re)programmed. Here is a thread on that. I hope to see you there.

rrivas

The program was ARC 300. I just cant figure this thing out. I reinstalled the software into my lapop and it now says that I have used my 2 free downloads!! I am just lost at this point, does anyone know anyone who programs scanners? I have been looking but no luck as of yet. i wm willing to pay for the services if you know of anyone local. BTW when do you plan on meeting I would lobe to attend the meeting to get further knowledge about scanners.... Thanks..

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
The program was ARC 300. I just cant figure this thing out. I reinstalled the software into my lapop and it now says that I have used my 2 free downloads!!
Well, then I guess you'll need to get the paid version of ARC-300 and the paid membership to RadioReference.com if you wish to go further with programming your scanner.

Provided the data in the RR database is correct, someone else with the program could create a file for you which would eliminate the need for the RR membership but the trial version of the ARC-300 software would still probably be your limitation.

You wanna play - you gotta pay. That's just the way it is. Sorry.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
With the cable DISCONNECTED from the scanner, plug it into a USB port on your computer. Let it install its driver. It is essential to get the correct driver loaded, which is based on the Operating System version you are running.

If the cable and driver are working correctly, you will see the port come and go in device manager as you plug it in to the computer and unplug it from the computer. That gets the cable working.

What software are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.