Pro-163/Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchartney

Premium Subscriber
Alright so I have a few questions. First question, can my scanner scan both trunked freaks and say non-trunked freaks in the same bank? Second question, how do I know what ID goes with what frequency? Most of the communities in my area (central oklahoma) use OKWIN. When I scan the 800 Freq for my area I pick many agencies on the same freq. So now I want to be able to program these agencies so I can only here select ones how do I know what freq they belong to. Third question is does my scanner pick-up EDACS if yes then how do I put them into my scanner. Last and final question (for now), how do i get it to scan Trunk for one bank and what I call regular freqs (154.3700) in another bank and be able to pick up both. Thanks in advance.

apd3190

Yes you can program trunked an non trunked in the same bank. Check out Marksscanners.com and check the info for your scanner. Win97 for computer programming.

DickH

... OKWIN. When I scan the 800 Freq for my area I pick many agencies on the same freq. So now I want to be able to program these agencies so I can only here select ones how do I know what freq they belong to. Third question is does my scanner pick-up EDACS if yes then how do I put them into my scanner. Last and final question (for now), how do i get it to scan Trunk for one bank and what I call regular freqs (154.3700) in another bank and be able to pick up both. Thanks in advance.

OKWIN - The various agencies are not on particular freqs., they have particular TALK GROUPS and they all share all the freqs. A master computer chooses a freq. every time someone pushes their mic button. I will put a simple explanation at the end of this page, using Motorola trunking, the most common type.
EDACS - You need to put in all the frewqs. for a particular site. Each freq. MUST be in an exact channel in your scanner. The channel numbers are the small numbers in front of each freq. in the database..

MOTOROLA TRUNKING
The object of trunking is to allow many users to share a relatively few frequencies.
A trunking system is controlled by a computer. Information (data) is exchanged between the system radios and the computer on a control channel, sometimes called a data channel. It sounds like a strong buzz.

A large system can have up to 28 freqs., 4 of which may be used as control channels. The control channel may be changed once a day or as often as the programmer decides. Some scanners need only the control channels to track an entire system. Just put in the 4 Control Channels.

Each group of users (Fire, Police, etc.) is assigned TALK GROUPS. In a Motorola Type II system, the most common type, TGs are usually in 32 number steps starting with 16 and going up to 65536; 16, 48, 80 --- 4656, 4688, 4720 --- 28944, 28976, etc. System radios can have more than 100 TGs programmed into them.

After all the freqs. have been entered and it is "trunking", the Banks become SCAN LISTS where you enter the Talk Groups you want to hear. Use the Talk Group numbers in the DEC column.

When a user pushes the talk button on his radio, data is sent to the computer. The computer chooses an unused freq. and sends that data to all the radios using the TG of the originating unit. This all happens in a fraction of a second and it happens EVERY TIME a radio is used.

EXAMPLE:
Fire Dispatch calling Engine 4 (TG 4528 on 856.7125)
Engine 4 answering Dispatch (TG 4528 on 852.2625)
Respond to 73 Elm Street (TG 4528 on 855.9625)
Engine 4 responding (TG 4528 on 851.6375)

If you have entered TG 4528 into your scanner, it will decode the control channel data and change your scanner freqs. to follow the conversation on TG 4528.

tchartney

Premium Subscriber
So I am scanning through some OKWIN freaks to see what I can pick up and I'm getting hits on different channels but same talk groups. When I go to actually input the talk groups, how do I know what frequency best suits them since I have been picking them up on different freqs.

DickH

So I am scanning through some OKWIN freaks to see what I can pick up and I'm getting hits on different channels but same talk groups. When I go to actually input the talk groups, how do I know what frequency best suits them since I have been picking them up on different freqs.

A talk group is not associated with a freq. It will show up on any freq. as determined by the computer. If you are scanning through the freqs., it is not trunjking. You had better read my trunking explanation again, especially the example near the bottom..

Which scanner do you have?

DickH

... Which scanner do you have?

Sorry, I missed it. I see you have a PRO-163.
After putting in the control channel freqs., you need to push SEARCH. Then it will find the active control channel and start trunking.
In SEARCH mode you will hear all active talk groups.
In SCAN you will hear only the talk groups you have entered.

DickH

Another point.
Has your PRO-163 been re-banded? If not it can not monitor some freqs. The criterion is:
If a freq. has a zero in the 4th decimal place (like 852.4500) the PRO-163 can not monitor it unless it has custom band plans entered. I believe the PRO-163 and 164 need to use software to enter those band plans.
However, some of the freqs.in those OKWIN sites are all "5" freqs. (they have a 5 in the 4th decimal place, like 851.7375). Those sites can be monitored by an un-rebanded scanner. The Tulsa site (site 001) comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.