PRO-163 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayaresr

Anyone here with any experience on the PRO 163 yet? That's the new model from Radio Shack. From what I can tell so far, the software, as well as the programming are the same as the PRO 2055. However the two I have programmed at the store won't receive anything. Let me rephrase that, they will rx conventional fine, but I can't pick up Salem County's Motorola Type II System. I am programming the voice channels, control channels, base, offset, step, my usual list of TGID's for the purpose of alpha tagging them for the customers. I have done dozens of PRO 2055's and could program them in my sleep, but I can't for the life of me figure out why I'm not hearing the TRS on this new model. I have been through both of the units twice to make sure I didn't miss anything, they have 98-99% decode rate on the control channel, and I have gone through the manual several times. Any suggestions...the Radio Shack scanner man here is at a loss...which means my store is stumped.
Thanks guys,
Ryan

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
The Pro-163, 164, 97, and 2055 all program alike. Enter the frequencies in the "MO" mode, make sure the bank is in the "MO" mode and press SCAN. Press FUNC then "."(Delay) and put the radio in OPEN mode. You should hear all active talk groups.

ayaresr

That's what I thought. Strange as it will sound, I was hoping it was just something I was doing wrong. I feel like I'm beating my head into a brick wall on this thing, I figured it was just something I was missing. Like I say, I can do PRO 2055's in my sleep, so this should be pretty much the same animal, 98% control channel decode verified again today, and still only hearing the conventional stuff.
Thanks for any help or ideas,
Ryan

N8IAA

ayaresr said:
Anyone here with any experience on the PRO 163 yet? That's the new model from Radio Shack. From what I can tell so far, the software, as well as the programming are the same as the PRO 2055. However the two I have programmed at the store won't receive anything. Let me rephrase that, they will rx conventional fine, but I can't pick up Salem County's Motorola Type II System. I am programming the voice channels, control channels, base, offset, step, my usual list of TGID's for the purpose of alpha tagging them for the customers. I have done dozens of PRO 2055's and could program them in my sleep, but I can't for the life of me figure out why I'm not hearing the TRS on this new model. I have been through both of the units twice to make sure I didn't miss anything, they have 98-99% decode rate on the control channel, and I have gone through the manual several times. Any suggestions...the Radio Shack scanner man here is at a loss...which means my store is stumped.
Thanks guys,
Ryan

Have you gone to
http://www.starrsoft.com
and updated the Win97 software so it works with the 163/164's yet??
Larry

ayaresr

Haven't tried to use any software on this unit, I was just implying that if the software works with both I would imagine the programming is very similar.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Have you gone ahead and programed in the voice channels in the FM mode and been able to hear traffic on them?

ayaresr

Yes, if I program them conventional FM I hear the traffic just fine. I'm leaning toward something I am still missing or overlooking on the trunking setup, but I just don't see what, as everything is fairly similar to the 2055.
Thanks

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Could you have locked out the control channels? The scanner will not even look at the control channel data if they are locked out while in the scan mode but when you manualy step to them, they will give you the % decode.

n2mdk

One thing that gets missed at times on these radios is to set the 800Mhz bandplan using Func plus 3 then set to standard did you do that.

ayaresr

Verified no channels locked out, and the TRS I am trying to receive is UHF (500MHz) not 800. Still having problems as of today with this.
Thanks again, Ryan

ayaresr

Had a chance to look at this some more today...here's what I got. In conventional mode, I get the audio just fine. When in trunking mode, if I hit manual and sit on a frequency, as traffic passes, I will hear it and see the TGID's go by, but as soon as I hit scan, its all gone, like there isn't anything there at all...anyone else with ideas...this thing has truly stumped me, looks like the 2055 was my beast. Anyone...Bueller...Bueller.
Thanks, Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.