Pro-163 Scanning Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a PRO-163. I'm afraid I am over my head. I want to program the local frequencies (Clarkston, Michigan). In the past, I have been able to go to a pawn shop and buy a scanner and manually enter the frequencies. Should I manually enter them or try downloading them? Which is the better (easier) program to use? Win97, ARC300, Scancat? Is it better to download from this website or maybe use a program like Mr. Scanner? Which program do you recommend?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a PRO-163. I'm afraid I am over my head.
That's a great scanner. Yeah and that's only an analog scanner. The new digital scanners (~$450+) are even crazier.

Should I manually enter them or try downloading them?
That depends on HOW MANY you need to program, how much patience you have learning how to do it, and the type of "systems" you want to monitor. I'd learn how to program manually just so you can, but programming 100+ (the scanner holds 1000) by hand is quite a job.

Which is the better (easier) program to use? Win97, ARC300, Scancat?
Avoid Scancat like it is the swine flu. I use WIN97 and love it. Never tried ARC300; it's like another flavor of cola to me.

Is it better to download from this website or maybe use a program like Mr. Scanner? Which program do you recommend?
When you are talking EASE, and nothing else; it is hard to beat downloading. But you'll find some editing is required on what you download to get things the way you like them. You'll find that many here are into ALL aspects of this as a hobby, not just the listening part.

So I recommend that you learn what there is to monitor in your area (some might not be monitorable with a scanner), learn the scanner (and therefore the software), and program things into the software by hand. You'll have it organized the way you want to use it and remember it.

Otherwise my suggestion would be to get a file from someone in your area and just put that in your scanner. Not much fun, but totally the least effort.

I sure do appreciate all of the responses! I'm still undecided about WIN7 and ARC300...but I agree with learning how to do it manually first. Any other input would be appreciated!

N1BHH

Really, you need to learn the radio, do it step by step. Once you learn the radio and get the basic functions down, then get the software. You never know when you will be in a new city when you want to program some stuff in and won't be able to and suffer from not being able to do it on the fly. The best software money can buy is the Win series from Starrsoft. Get it, don't be fooled by the others. I find it much better than ARC300, I have both, files don't transfer correctly from Win97 to ARC300.

MarkCrooker

Premium Subscriber
Simple Programming PRO163

I just bought a PRO-163. I'm afraid I am over my head. I want to program the local frequencies (Clarkston, Michigan). In the past, I have been able to go to a pawn shop and buy a scanner and manually enter the frequencies. Should I manually enter them or try downloading them? Which is the better (easier) program to use? Win97, ARC300, Scancat? Is it better to download from this website or maybe use a program like Mr. Scanner? Which program do you recommend?

I use ARC300 and works very nice. Has automatic configuring for trunked systems that can also be changed by user if needed. Once installed its quite simple to use. Youtube may help in showing you how to use it a little easier. Just remember when plugging in USB cable and it goes to clone mode, DO NOT hit any buttons. Just send your database you have to the scanner and unplug. Took a long time to figure this out as they don't tell you in the instruction manual. Also if you want to erase existing frequencys stored, hit 0 then 1 and enter, while its booting up welcome screen. Spent 9 hour myself trying to get things to work, but it should be easy, if you follow these steps. These are one of the most difficult scanners that I've ever had to program. Once its done it works great. Happy Scanning!!

MarkCrooker

Premium Subscriber
Programming PRO163: stuck in clone mode

Anyone trying to program the PRO163 with a USB cable will see (clone mode) when plugging in your cable. When this screen shows, DON'T HIT ANYTHING on the scanner. Leave it just like that, and go ahead and download files from your software to scanner. On the screen you should see receiving data, with the bar flashing. Once this is done unplug your data cable and your good to go! Its really that simple!

Status
Not open for further replies.