Status
Not open for further replies.

WA9TED

After making a programming change to my 163, for some reason or other I can't get it to just scan over the talk groups on my local public safety trunk system on the motorola type II smart net. I've tried the radio shack software and PSR edit plus uploaded the new firmware, but it won't take! It just scans over all the frequencies as if the talk groups aren't there. Any ideas?? Plus any way to make it monitor a particular talk group without scanning?

Thanks!

DickH

After making a programming change to my 163, for some reason or other I can't get it to just scan over the talk groups on my local public safety trunk system on the motorola type II smart net. I've tried the radio shack software and PSR edit plus uploaded the new firmware, but it won't take! It just scans over all the frequencies as if the talk groups aren't there. Any ideas?? Plus any way to make it monitor a particular talk group without scanning? ... !

Be specific. What changes did you do? Which system are you monitoring? State/county/city ?

N1BHH

There is no such thing as Radio Shack scanner programs. There is Starrsoft, Butel and a few others. Many go with Starrsoft try Win97, it works spectacularly. Win97 - Data Management Software for the PRO-97, PRO-2055, PSR-300, PSR-400, PRO-164, and PRO-163 Scanners

Also it is always a very good idea to post a link to the system you are making changes to and what you are exactly trying to do. Your LTR and EDACS systems require ALL channels to be programmed, while Motorola systems only require the control channels to be programmed.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-163 won't trunk

After making a programming change to my 163, for some reason or other I can't get it to just scan over the talk groups on my local public safety trunk system on the motorola type II smart net. ... It just scans over all the frequencies as if the talk groups aren't there. Any ideas??
Here are the steps I take to debug this type of issue. First go to MAN mode and use the UP and DOWN keys to find the active control channel. You know the one with the buzzsaw sound. If you don't find it, there's your problem.

If you do find it, make sure it is set to MO mode. Make sure it is not locked out. You should see a % decode rate on the 4th line of the display of at least 25%. I like to see over 50%. If it is too low, you do not have good enough reception. Make sure ATT is off, antenna securely connected, etc.

Once you have a working control channel set to the correct mode, make sure the BANK is also set to MO mode. Look in the software you programmed the scanner with. If not correct, change it and re-upload.

If that's all good, the next thing I do is put the bank in OPEN mode. When in open mode you will hear all communications on the trunk. That means you'll hear stuff you didn't program, but you'll know it is now trunk tracking. When you get to that point and need further help, let us know. I suspect these steps will uncover your problem.

Plus any way to make it monitor a particular talk group without scanning?
No. It must be in SCAN mode to read the control channel data. It needs the control channel data to know the voice channel being used for the TG you want. You can put it in ID HOLD MODE, but that's really only workable once you get it scanning correctly.

WA9TED

Thanks guys, I'll be a bit more specific. I'm trying to scan the Waukesha County Trunk System in Waukesha, WI Waukesha County Public Safety Trunking System, Countywide, Wisconsin - Scanner Frequencies

I tired the steps, I'm getting the MOT ID numbers after I reprogrammed it, but it's still scanning all over the place! The control channels are at 99% and I'm pretty sure there all programed correctly. It's got to be something in the talk group settings.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The system in your last message has been rebanded. Since some of the freqs have a 0 in the 4th decimal, you will need a custom table to track it properly.

We have information on that here...

PSR-300/400 Software and USB Support - The RadioReference Wiki

or even better, get a premium subscription (cheap) and simply re-download. In most cases, the required custom table should be set up for you when you do this...HTH...Mike

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-163

I'm getting the MOT ID numbers after I reprogrammed it, but it's still scanning all over the place! The control channels are at 99% and I'm pretty sure there all programed correctly. It's got to be something in the talk group settings.
As ka3jjz mentioned, the system you are trying to monitor has been rebanded. This means you need to change the "band plan" in the scanner. Unfortunately this can only be done with software, and not on the scanner's keypad (a pet peeve of mine).

I use WIN97 for that scanner model, and I am not sure exactly how to make the setting in PSRedit. WIN97 has a shortcut labeled "800 Mot Rebanded" that selects the correct band plan. Find the equivalent setting in PSRedit, upload to the scanner and you should be trunk tracking properly.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The instructions for each package - including PSREdit300 - is in the wiki article I supplied

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.