PRO-164 - AC not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoochVance

I have a Radio Shack PRO-164 that is running perfectly on batteries but when you plug in the 9V AC adaptor it will not turn on? Anyone have an idea what the problem might be? This is a brand new adaptor.

shadcall

Maybe you have the wrong polarity. If you got the adapter from Radio Shack it needs to be at least 400 mA. You can get a higher number, but don't go below 400. It needs a "C" tip. If you look at it you will see the word "tip" on it. The + should be next to the word "tip" If you got the adapter from another source you may have to do further checking on the polarity.

jfhtm350

I know if you have the tip plugged into the scanner and the ac adapter not plugged into the wall, then the scanner will not come on. Plug the adapter into the wall and check the voltage at the tip with a digital multimeter. The correct adapter is 9 volts and you should have 9 or 10 volts when you check it with the multimeter. If you dont then make sure you have 110 volts at the wall plug. If you have 110 at the wall then the adapter is bad. Dont electrocute yourself while you do this.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have a Radio Shack PRO-164 that is running perfectly on batteries but when you plug in the 9V AC adaptor it will not turn on? Anyone have an idea what the problem might be? This is a brand new adaptor.
It sounds like you've never had that adapter working with that radio. The plug sizes (plug that fits into the scanner) are critical. Some may look to be the correct size, but are not. Next check polarity of the DC being applied to the scanner.

shadcall said:
it needs to be at least 400 mA. You can get a higher number, but don't go below 400.
I am running all of my hand-held analog scanners, including the PSR-300 (same radio as the '164) on adapters of less than 400ma (typ ~250 to 300ma at 9.0VDC) since I am not charging batteries in the scanner. Battery charging is fixed at 150ma in that model. If you use an adapter which does not provide enough power the voltage will drop (too far).

Skooterkid

Premium Subscriber
I'm having this same problem. I just bought a RadioShack 9V/800mA AC Adapter for my PRO-164. In the manual it says I need a 9V/400mA AC/DC. I couldn't find a 400mA Adapter so I went with the 800mA. Also it's an AC Adapter not a AC/DC. Is that whats causing the problem? If it is, could someone link me to the correct one. Thanks

Matt

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Must be 9 volts DC

I just bought a RadioShack 9V/800mA AC Adapter for my PRO-164. In the manual it says I need a 9V/400mA AC/DC. I couldn't find a 400mA Adapter so I went with the 800mA. Also it's an AC Adapter not a AC/DC. Is that whats causing the problem?
Generally there is no issue with using an 800mA adapter for the PRO-164 as long as the output is 9V DC. But you indicated it is AC and that won't work.

Skooterkid

Premium Subscriber
Generally there is no issue with using an 800mA adapter for the PRO-164 as long as the output is 9V DC. But you indicated it is AC and that won't work.

I see. Could you link me to a adapter that would work? I have already spend $30+ on 2 adapters that haven't worked. I really don't trust myself to buy another

Thanks alot!

Matt

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I'm having this same problem. I just bought a RadioShack 9V/800mA AC Adapter for my PRO-164. In the manual it says I need a 9V/400mA AC/DC. I couldn't find a 400mA Adapter so I went with the 800mA. Also it's an AC Adapter not a AC/DC. Is that whats causing the problem? If it is, could someone link me to the correct one. Thanks

Matt

There is a 23-??? number on the adapter. What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.