Pro 164 and Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrenchFeeder

In the manual for the 164 it makes it sound as if the radio will automaticly "trunk" and follow transmissions. However I cannot get mine to work in this manner. Is the radio not capable of this, or did I simply misunderstand what "trunking" is?

My example, the Joliet Motorola system, my receiver picks it up and properly identifies the talk groups on each channel, however when they switch channels in the middle of transmissions I have to manually switch through the channels to find them. Is there ANY radio that will follow these types of transmissions?

DickH

... My example, the Joliet Motorola system, my receiver picks it up and properly identifies the talk groups on each channel, however when they switch channels in the middle of transmissions I have to manually switch through the channels to find them. Is there ANY radio that will follow these types of transmissions?

Make sure you have the latest firmware (ver 1.07).
1. When you turn the scanner on, push 3 while the Welcome screen is disp[ayed.

If you need to download version 1.07 go here:
PRO-164 1000-Channel Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-164

The PRO-164 is the same scanner as the PSR-300. It does not matter what version of firmware you have, v1.00 will trunk track when the scanner is programmed and used correctly. For the record, I am running v1.06. V1.07 merely corrects a problem with EDACS type systems.

It sounds to me like you have programmed in the frequencies and set them to either FM, CT or DC. You only need to program the frequencies which are identified as control channel frequencies (max 4), although I usually program them all and there is no harm whatsoever in doing so.

The key is to make sure you set EACH frequency to MOT mode. When programming, and you press FUNC T the first time in that bank, it will ask you to set the mode of the bank. This is needed in order to be able to program the TGs correctly. It sounds like you did do this. I know it is a little confusing that both the bank and the individual frequencies each have to be set.

Now then, if you are in MAN mode, you will hear the pieces of conversations. That's how it works. One of the frequencies will be the active control channel. You'll hear the data which some people describe as sounding like a buzzsaw. Make sure this channel/frequency is not locked out! The reality is that the scanner will ONLY monitor this one frequency to trunk track. It figures out everything else on its own.

One last comment; if the system you are programming has been rebanded, it is likely you will need to tell the scanner of this as well. I won't get in to that unless you need to do so.

Good luck.

DickH

... One last comment; if the system you are programming has been rebanded, it is likely you will need to tell the scanner of this as well. I won't get in to that unless you need to do so. ...

I recall seeing here on RR that older firmware versions of the PRO-163 & 164 could not track re-banded systems. In fact, there were lengthy discussions about it because Radio Shack did not release new versions in a timely manner, even though they received them promptly from GRE.

SCPD

QRT
I noticed this site has been rebanded. You do have the new rebanded frequencies programmed, yes?

N1BHH

If you are trying to monitor a Motorola system, you can use control channel trunking. Always enter all control channels. Once you enter the first of the series with the proper mode, all the rest will enter in that mode. You must not put EDACS, LTR and Motorola systems in the same bank, they must be in separate banks. If the system you are trying to listen to has been rebanded, you need to upgrade your firmware, most likely. Using Win97, save the current file, then upgrade your firmware, then reload your latest file and make any needed changes you wish.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I recall seeing here on RR that older firmware versions of the PRO-163 & 164 could not track re-banded systems. In fact, there were lengthy discussions about it because Radio Shack did not release new versions in a timely manner, even though they received them promptly from GRE.
It would help if we knew exactly which firmware version TrenchFeeder has. If it is v1.00 and he is trying to monitor a rebanded system, I think you are correct. Too many unknowns right now to zero in on the exact/correct fix.

FireFighter48 said:
how do you get the PC cord on a PRO-164 to work?
You need to have the RS 20-047 cable or GRE equivalent. These are the USB version cables. Get one, plug it in to your PC and let it load its driver. You can check that it is being recognized by going to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports. The cable is a USB to COM converter in addition to an interface for the scanner PC/IF port.

N1BHH said:
You must not put EDACS, LTR and Motorola systems in the same bank, they must be in separate banks.
It is possible to put two of some Motorola type systems in the same bank. But yes EDACS and LTR must always go in to separate banks.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
I have upgraded the firmware and double and triple checked that I have the programming correct. The radio scans all the edacs systems I have in the scanner however, when it picks up on a transmission, there is no audio. I set it down next to another scanner with the same system and I hear the audio fine but with the 164, nothing... I'm at my wits end here. Any insight? Also, now as I'm finishing my post, it seems to be working for a second or two, then nothing. It can't be the signal, the NJ system I am monitoring is pretty much right next door???

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
EDACS systems are a little tricky. You must have ALL of the frequencies programmed, each set to EDACS and they must be in the correct order and correct channel positions.

Some ideas that come to mind:
- Try scanning with the bank OPEN. This will determine if there is a problem with your TG programming or settings.
- What do you get when you step through the channels in MAN mode?
- Check the 4th line of the display as you step through the channels in MAN mode to see the repeater/channel numbers. Make sure they match your programming.
- Provide us with a link to the DB so we can see the system you are programming.
- If using WIN97, provide us with a p97 file of what is programmed in to the scanner so we can look for obvious errors.

Note that you won't be allowed to attach a p97 file, you'll either have to zip it up or rename the file extension. Just let us know what you did so we can get the original file back.

userix

I have my pro-164 setup up correctly for trunk scanning. I see that it is automatically detecting talk IDs and I am hitting the Trunk button as they appear to save them. But I do not hear anything when it does detect a talk ID. I tried scanning the bank, yet I heard absolutely nothing. The bank and controller freq are all set to MOT. I can't figure out why I am not hearing anything, even though the scanner is detecting the talk IDs correctly.

bigmaccheese

I have a ?, purchased a Radio Shack pro 20-164 also bought the programming cable & driver software 20-047 can not get the programming to load? any help would be appreciated, thanks

bigmaccheese

Do I have to buy sofware? Don't know how this works as the salesperson said all we needed was the programming cable & driver software, thanks?

jamesa53

EDACS systems are a little tricky. You must have ALL of the frequencies programmed, each set to EDACS and they must be in the correct order and correct channel positions.

Just to clarify, you have to program the LCN's in order, i.e. LCN 1 goes into Bank X Channel 1 (not Zero) and then LCN2 goes into Bank X Channel 2. The others follow this order. Leave Bank X Channel 0 blank or lock it out.

If it were me I would keep that EDACS system in a bank of its own. Put the Motorola stuff in a different bank.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
If it were me I would keep that EDACS system in a bank of its own. Put the Motorola stuff in a different bank.
You can't mix an EDACS system and a Motorola type system in the same bank. Not only do the channels' modes get set, but you have to set the bank to a mode too and you can only pick one.

DickH

Just to clarify, you have to program the LCN's in order, i.e. LCN 1 goes into Bank X Channel 1 (not Zero) and then LCN2 goes into Bank X Channel 2. The others follow this order. Leave Bank X Channel 0 blank or lock it out.

Just to clarify the above, LCN is Logical Channel NUMBER - not ORDER. Although some EDACS system freqs. are in channel number order (1, 2, 3 etc.), some are not. They might be in channels 1, 4, 5, 9, 11, 15 - - -.

And as gmclam says, EDACS systems MUST be in a bank be themselves, but you can also put conventional channels in that bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.