PRO-164 CTCSS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcoleman

Correct!

You are correct. Should you put the wrong CT code in... you will not hear what you are expecting to hear.

However, if there just happend to be another agency using the frequency and CT code combo you programmed that is within hearing distance of your location, then you would hear that instead of what you intended to hear.

Regards,
Keith

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Wrong CTCSS code

If you aren't sure what code to use and don't want to miss anything you can program the frequency and set it as CT without a code. This way the radio will display whatever CTCSS code that is transmitted. If you see no code press mode and see of it finds a DC code.

This way you can find all codes used and select the one used by the department you are interested in. You may only find one code too it all depends on the area and frequency in use.

Les

On my PRO-164, if I program a CT code and it is incorrect, will it prevent me from hearing anything on that channel?

nebadnez

Is this dumb? Does this make sense?..

Thanks guys for the info. Now tell me if this makes any sense: I know that there are two or three different CT codes that pop up for the same Freq... two are listed PLs from RR, but sometimes I pick up other PLs not listed on RR.

Would it make any sense to program the same Freq on three different channels and leaving them in the CT search mode?

Would it make any sense to program the same Freq on multiple channels and save CT codes everytime they pop up and label them appropriately as PD or FD or EMS, etc.?

?????

scansalot52

"but sometimes I pick up other PLs not listed on RR. "
Maybe the ones not listed haven't been confirmed, also, they may not have been submitted by members yet

"Would it make any sense to program the same Freq on three different channels and leaving them in the CT search mode? "
I would program one channel as search CT(PL), one as seach DC(DPL). Use delay on those two channels, I don't think I'd set up three for PL search.

"Would it make any sense to program the same Freq on multiple channels and save CT codes everytime they pop up and label them appropriately as PD or FD or EMS, etc.? "

Thats one way to do it. Once you confirm a PL and its one you want to hear on a regular basis, program it and label it.
Lock out the PL and DPL search channels you've set up except for when you have time to sit and watch the scanner.
I have two different fire departments in my county using the same frequency w/different PL for each. I do have each one in its own channel. Other fire departments in the state use this same frequency some with PL, some not, so I have another channel programmed with the frequency with no PL, I have it locked out, because it would be too busy and block out the stuff I want to hear locally. However, I could unlock it if I travelled to those areas.

Astrak

Also if you're seeing CT tones not in the DB they could be false, if the 163/164 acts anything like the 97 did then it will sometimes show the incorrect CT tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.