Pro 164 Durability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xplorer4x4

Just wondered if any one has any experience to vouch for how durable, or not durable the 164s are? I have had mine for 2+ Months(Dec 31,2009). I have tried to be careful with it. It's been dropped a few times I guess, but usually just on the floor of my apt, and that far from being very hard. Its carpeted flooring. Never been dropped on concrete.

Today I had it on as the Fire Department rounded the corner and reported seeing some white smoke. In a rush, I tried to grab the scanner I dropped it about 3 feet or so onto the floor of the apt. Got out side but sadly it wasnt picking anything up but I could hear chatter over the fire trucks loud speakers.

I notice when I set it to trunk, it sits on one bank for about 3 seconds at a time which is odd considering before it zoomed through them super fast. I know theres transmissions going on from comparing it to the live feeds, so I ask, is it normal for these scanners to break so easy? I have had cell phones take more punishment then this..

I tried to reprogram it through win97, tried fresh batteries and some other things, but it doesnt work.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
They are not made to be dropped. I'd get a padded case for it if you plan on dropping more (after you get it repaired).

Xplorer4x4

They are not made to be dropped.
Never said they were. Neither is a cell phone or laptop but I have seen them withstand much worse then the drop mine sustained.So I cant believe this happened so easily.

If you plan on dropping more (after you get it repaired).
I never planned on dropping mine, but I was rushing out the door. I suspect you might to if there was an explosion and fire less then 50 yards away from you,

DonS

My PRO-164 (and PRO-92, PRO-93, PRO-95, PRO-96, PRO-97, PRO-106, PSR-300, PSR-500) has sustained multiple 66" drops to a concrete floor. The PSR-500 finally gave up after 20+ such drops. The PSR-500, though, was not your typical "retail" version - it had "some additional hardware" and had been disassembled/reassembled multiple times.

(For years, I've had my scanner(s) on top of the refrigerator in the garage. Enthusiastic closing of the doors often causes the handhelds to topple over, usually resulting in an introduction to concrete.)

Xplorer4x4

Wow Don, thats amazing! Now I never expected to hear them take THAT kind of punishment. I suppose maybe mine fell at just the right angle to knock something loose.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
(For years, I've had my scanner(s) on top of the refrigerator in the garage. Enthusiastic closing of the doors often causes the handhelds to topple over, usually resulting in an introduction to concrete.)
I have found that the hand-held models fit nicely in to those foam cup holders. It certainly gives them more stability and they don't topple easily unless some high or rigid antenna connection is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.