Pro-164 Firmware upgrade ver 1.08

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotownJG

Premium Subscriber
I've been trying to upgrade the firmware on my RS Pro-164 to Ver 1.08. For some reason, it says it can't communciate with the radio.

I have paid for Win 97 and use that software to program the handheld; it talks to the radio just fine on Com4.

But when I try to 'Test' Com4 with the upgrade software from RS, it says it can't communicate with the radio. I'm using firmware upgrader 1.01 exe file as required by the firmware.

Anyone else have problems upgrading? Is it a waste of my time? thanks in advance for any advice.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I've been trying to upgrade the firmware on my RS Pro-164 to Ver 1.08. For some reason, it says it can't communciate with the radio.

I have paid for Win 97 and use that software to program the handheld; it talks to the radio just fine on Com4.

But when I try to 'Test' Com4 with the upgrade software from RS, it says it can't communicate with the radio. I'm using firmware upgrader 1.01 exe file as required by the firmware.

Anyone else have problems upgrading? Is it a waste of my time? thanks in advance for any advice.

Have you selected the correct COM port in the Firmware Upgrade procram?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-164 firmware update

If I remember correctly, there are two versions of firmware update software. The version you use depends on the PRESENT VERSION of firmware in the scanner.

Turn off the scanner. Press and hold the PGM key while powering on the scanner. It will display the "boot version" and "application version". Select the appropriate firmware updater based on those versions and the new versions you are upgrading to.

MotownJG

Premium Subscriber
Yup, did both.

Com 3 is used by the USB adapter cable and the Com port I use with Win97 - it works feeding data to and from the radio.

Did the startup sequence as suggested by RS and found out I need to use firmware file 1.01, not 1.00.

So.....................not worrying about it anymore. Will wait for update 1.09 maybe.........?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

screenersam

I hate motrbro
Check to be sure that you have the correct connector going into the scanner. The Pro-97 takes a mono 1/8" plug, while the Pro-164 takes a stereo 1/8" plug.

? I'm using the too-expensive RS connector plug unit (with the little orange glowing box with the circuit board) and it works on the 97 and the 164
ru using a homemade plug connector thing?

(this is the pc interface we're talking about, yes?)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
? I'm using the too-expensive RS connector plug unit (with the little orange glowing box with the circuit board) and it works on the 97 and the 164
ru using a homemade plug connector thing?

(this is the pc interface we're talking about, yes?)
Yes that is the USB cable RS #20-047. I think I paid $16.95 for mine before RS practically doubled the price to ~$35. I'm not sure why they felt they needed to charge that much for it.

There's quite a bit going on with the cable. It uses a widely used IC that converts a USB connection into a serial port. Then there's a simple circuit to convert signal voltages to what the scanners can handle. I looked at the concept of my own design to see if I could price reduce it, but it wasn't practical. I have several cables including one I made that I use.

JoeRock

My experience... I had a similar problem: able to download my programs to the scanner and able to read the scanner but not able to do any firmware/CPU updates. I was using the Radio Shack cable with the orange box, as well.

My solution was to buy a new GRE programming cable (black version). Now I'm able to do it all with no problems. There was just something about that orange cable that my scanner did not like!

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.