Pro-164 firmware upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found this on the Radioshack site,
February 27, 2009
pixel.gif
PRO-163 and PRO-164 Trunking Scanners (Firmware Upgrade 1.06 (340KB))

jack3756

Premium Subscriber
So i wonder what that does. i looked on the GRE site and they didnt have the undate listed. the other thing is i didnt realize there are two different boot verisons with the 163/164.

RadMarv

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE......

There are 2 update files that are zipped

20-163_164_v106_BOOT100.EXE
20-163_164_v106_BOOT101.EXE

Using 20-163_164_v106_BOOT101.EXE resulted in the following...

PRO-164 Upgrade will not update for me.

Updater software COM TEST is ok.

Hit UPDATE and immediately get ERROR

Using 20-163_164_v106_BOOT100.EXE

DOES WORK ON MY PRO-164

I suppose the other is for the PRO-163?

Last edited:
Did you hold down the pgm key while turning on the scanner with the cable plugged in?

And by the way, when I upgraded the firmware, it wiped out all my programming. Good thing I had everything backed up in Win97!

csv

Premium Subscriber
radio shack 164 firmware upgrade

delete the download and try again........follow instructions and it will function........it updated for me .....now I would like to know what was updated..............

dougr1252

Rebanding?

GRE had an item on their site recently about rebanding updates for the PSR300/400. Try programming or editing an 800 MHz Motorola system and check under Expert settings. The options for T Tables should be "Default, Splinter, Custom". Then see if it will save the data. Fairfield has a rebanded system that you could test it on.

mikey60

So i wonder what that does. i looked on the GRE site and they didnt have the undate listed. the other thing is i didnt realize there are two different boot verisons with the 163/164.

This is primarily the Rebanding update. PSREdit300 supports the changes... I don't know if any of the other software authors have a version out yet that supports rebanding on this firmware update.

Mike

mikey60

UPDATE......

There are 2 update files that are zipped

20-163_164_v106_BOOT100.EXE
20-163_164_v106_BOOT101.EXE

Using 20-163_164_v106_BOOT101.EXE resulted in the following...

PRO-164 Upgrade will not update for me.

Updater software COM TEST is ok.

Hit UPDATE and immediately get ERROR

Using 20-163_164_v106_BOOT100.EXE

DOES WORK ON MY PRO-164

I suppose the other is for the PRO-163?

Which one you use depends on the version of the boot loader in the radio.

Turn the scanner off, Press and Hold the PGM button while turning the scanner on.

You should see a screen with the top line saying either:

Boot Ver:GF1.00
or
Boot Ver:GF1.01

For GF1.00, use the 20-163_164_v106_BOOT100.EXE File
For GF1.01, use the 20-163_164_v106_BOOT101.EXE File

Mike

todd_18

Feed Provider
how do you change the expert settings to get the custom trunking table. I'm trying to test with utah's rebanded system, but can't find the setting for custom

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I must confess to a bit of confusion. The GRE PSR-300 and 400 rebanding firmware is in beta now, but not yet released to the public, last I heard. The 163 and 164 are the RS clones. How can RS have the firmware changes before GRE releases it to the public?

I too looked at the RS website and saw the 1.06 upgrade, but it doesn't say anything about whether this is for the rebanding fix or not. Color me confused.

73 Mike

todd_18

Feed Provider
ok, I figured out how to select the new trunking table type....

PGM
TRUNK
FUNC 3
then arrow to the new MULTI-TABLE option

FUNC 2 allow for editing the custom Ranges, but it will NOT allow for 8xx.xxxx frequencies, only 406.xxxx

mikey60

ok, I figured out how to select the new trunking table type....

PGM
TRUNK
FUNC 3
then arrow to the new MULTI-TABLE option

FUNC 2 allow for editing the custom Ranges, but it will NOT allow for 8xx.xxxx frequencies, only 406.xxxx

Editing the Multi-Table settings can't be done in the radio itself, it has to be done by software. As far as I know, PSREdit300 is the only software package that supports this at the moment, but I'm sure that Don and Gommert will have it in theirs soon as well.

Mike

mikey60

I must confess to a bit of confusion. The GRE PSR-300 and 400 rebanding firmware is in beta now, but not yet released to the public, last I heard. The 163 and 164 are the RS clones. How can RS have the firmware changes before GRE releases it to the public?

I too looked at the RS website and saw the 1.06 upgrade, but it doesn't say anything about whether this is for the rebanding fix or not. Color me confused.

73 Mike

I was a bit suprised at that as well, but I notice that GRE has uploaded some of their overseas scanner model manuals today, so maybe it won't be too long.

Mike

todd_18

Feed Provider
thanks mike, I edited my pro-164 using psredit and it seems to be working, with utah's rebanded system, the same as my pro-106. looks like the firmware update has fixed the rebanding issues.

ReCall

That way as this thread gets migrated off, that rather important information doesn't get lost

Unfortunately Mike this is a very true statement and without a sticky on this discussion it will be sent to the back pages just like the other upgrade for the 163/164 , I just find it very curious that information like this and notification of new upgrades is made into a sticky on the GRE forum but not here on the RS Forum and I own some of each.

I hope no one takes this as a criticism. It's not, and thank you all for your input on this upgrade.

Now I'm going back to shoveling SNOW !
ReCall

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Maybe GRE is using the Radio Shack clones as test beds for new releases before releasing them for their own GRE models.

salty

Thanks KC9GLG

Wanted to say thanks to KC9GLG, the OP, for posting the link to the firmware.

Thanks for sharing!

brcoz

Premium Subscriber
I turned on my 106 holding the pgm key and it shows I have boot ver 1.2 and app ver 1.6.

What does it show after this upgrade?

Sorry wong scanner. I should have looked at the model. I saw upgrade and I was ready.

Last edited:

sacscan

Editing the Multi-Table settings can't be done in the radio itself, it has to be done by software. As far as I know, PSREdit300 is the only software package that supports this at the moment, but I'm sure that Don and Gommert will have it in theirs soon as well.

Mike
Why did they make it so you HAVE to use software?!? I bought this radio after I read that it could be updated for rebanding, so I assumed it would be similar to my Unidens. They don't require any friggin' software to edit the trunking tables. Why should I have to buy something else to get my scanner to work on rebanded systems? I don't even like using software to program scanners in the first place.

Radio Shack/GRE, if you're reading these forums, PLEASE update the firmware to allow the user to edit the trunking tables in the radio WITHOUT software.

Status
Not open for further replies.