Pro-164 lots of static along with traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinHartigan

Premium Subscriber
Ok so I have a radio shack pro-164 scanner. It was bought a couple years ago and the firmware has not been updated. My problem is while listening in my room I get a crap ton of static from CHP frequencies 45.36000 which is base,green and 42.72000 which is mobile,green. I can barely understand them and i think i recieve less than have of their radio traffic I also get a fair amount of static listening to El Dorado Fire Command. I have ATT off. I also use tone codes for most of my frequencies. I also bought a durable upgraded 800 mhz flexible rubber antenna. Just wondering I have a tv a laptop a xbox and a router in my room. I know that might have something to do with it. Also when i wrap both my hands over the antenna the static goes away on the chp freq.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Antenna 101

Ok so I have a radio shack pro-164 scanner. It was bought a couple years ago and the firmware has not been updated. My problem is while listening in my room I get a crap ton of static from CHP frequencies 45.36000 which is base,green and 42.72000 which is mobile,green. I can barely understand them and i think i recieve less than have of their radio traffic I also get a fair amount of static listening to El Dorado Fire Command. I have ATT off. I also use tone codes for most of my frequencies. I also bought a durable upgraded 800 mhz flexible rubber antenna. Just wondering I have a tv a laptop a xbox and a router in my room. I know that might have something to do with it. Also when i wrap both my hands over the antenna the static goes away on the chp freq.
CHP requires a "large" antenna. The worse antenna you could use is one for 800MHz. Your scanner is going to hear what the antenna sees. If your antenna is near a bunch of electronics, expect interference. The only real solution to your situation is an external antenna, preferably outside, a good distance from interfering devices.

My monitoring includes all the channels you've mentioned. Keep in mind that many fire command and tac channels are not repeated. Even some command channels that are repeated are not high power nor cover a large range. Get your antenna up high where it can see the antenna of the transmitter and you'll be amazed at the difference.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Get your antenna up high where it can see the antenna of the transmitter and you'll be amazed at the difference.

/thread. Also 800 mhz antenna is going the wrong way with antenna choices. Pick up a Radioshack telescoping BNC antenna. Extend it all the way. Be amazed at the difference. :)

Bruce42

Poor Reception of CHP GREEN

Besides all the good advice you received about low band antennas keep in mind that GREEN has 7 transmitter sites so reception will vary considerable depending upon your location from those sites.

Bruce...

Status
Not open for further replies.