Pro 164 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

vrf

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a RS pro 164 scanner today and I entered the control frequency in channel 001 and than entered the alternate frquency in channel 002 but this frequency just makes a lot of noise and bunch of numbers is jumping on this frequency and when I press scan it scans but the display flickers when someone talks and am missing some receptions , what am I doing wrong because this scanner should handle the rebanding.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
Leave the 1st channel empty, start in 002. If you also put conventional frequencies in that same bank leave a blank channel between the trunk ones and conventional ones.

vrf

Premium Subscriber
pro 164 problem

Thanks , I tried to enter 853.26250 in channel 002 and 853.82500 in channel 003 but the display is still flickering on transmissions I'M ABOUT TO GIVE UP ON THIS WHOLE SCANNING

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks , I tried to enter 853.26250 in channel 002 and 853.82500 in channel 003 but the display is still flickering on transmissions I'M ABOUT TO GIVE UP ON THIS WHOLE SCANNING
If you're dealing with a rebanding system (I believe a site on the analog TxWARN system, right?), you also need the custom bandplan entered. That can only be done with software. See this Wiki page.

vrf

Premium Subscriber
pro 164 problem

I checked and I have the updated version of the software 1.07 , I must be doing something wrong.Did the Rosenberg , Richmond Texas go to 900 freq. or what , maybe I have the wrong frequencies for this area. Please any help would be appreciated .

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a RS pro 164 scanner today and I entered the control frequency in channel 001 and than entered the alternate frquency in channel 002 but this frequency just makes a lot of noise and bunch of numbers is jumping on this frequency and when I press scan it scans but the display flickers when someone talks and am missing some receptions , what am I doing wrong because this scanner should handle the rebanding.
It sounds like you are trying to program a TRUNKED system. You need to set each frequency to the type of system (MO, ED, LT) AND set the bank to that mode as well. Since you are not programming TalkGroups, leave the bank open.

If you are in MAN mode on the active control channel you will hear the "data sound". Some people describe it as a buzzsaw. You must SCAN the active control channel for the scanner to decode the voice channels and let you listen.

N2SCV said:
Leave the 1st channel empty, start in 002. If you also put conventional frequencies in that same bank leave a blank channel between the trunk ones and conventional ones.
Channel 000 is the first channel, so programming 001 is the second channel. You don't need to do that if the system is MOtorola, you can use channel 000. Also no need to have blank channels on the PRO-164.

If the system you are programming is EDACS, then do not use channel 000 for the trunk (you can use it for a conventional channel). If the system you are programming is LTR, then you need to program all of the trunked frequencies and they must be programmed into specific slots.

vrf

Premium Subscriber
pr0 164 problem

Thanks , Seems that this scanner is not supporting the rebanding because it jumps between one 863 freq. and one 864 freq. but no communication on these but it scans good on the 851 , 852 and 853 freq. as these freq. is for the area that I am in but I am missing some replys , I entered the 863 and 864 freq. in but it does not support these two . CONFUSED This scanner has the 1.07 software ????

Spadinator

Like was said. Use software to program it. I live in a rebanded area and I programmed mine using psredit. It works fine.

vrf

Premium Subscriber
I am new on this software , where do I go and what would work for me to get me going ASAP !!!!

DickH

And then call me. I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell. :)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am new on this software , where do I go and what would work for me to get me going ASAP !!!!
Based on your comments in another post, you're trying to get this analog system:
Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Motorola Trunking System, Metro Houston area, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

More specifically, the sites in Fort Bend County.
Based on these frequencies, from one of your posts earlier in this thread,
I tried to enter 853.26250 in channel 002 and 853.82500 in channel 003 but the display is still flickering on transmissions
it appears to me that you are trying to program the Richmond site on the analog TxWARN.

See this page in the Wiki (I also had that link in a post earlier in this thread):
PSR-300/400 Software and USB Support - The RadioReference Wiki
(The same software is used for the PSR-300 & -400, as well as the Pro-163 & -164.)

Instructions are there telling you how to use PSREdit, or the other software programs for your scanner, to set the system for rebanding. It sounds like you are only entering the new frequencies, not setting it as a rebanded system.

You could also ask in the Texas Forum, or over on the Houston Scan Yahoo group, to see if somebody had a working PSREdit file for Fort Bend, to get you going.

Spadinator

I used Psredit for my programming. It is easy to learn although you still have to input the control channels and talk groups in by hand on the computer. It has the rebanded tables in it already. There are several programs out there to use for that scanner. You will also need the USB cable from radio shack.

N1BHH

Leaving the radio in manual on any control channel will give you plenty of erroneous hits. The scanner must be scanning to be able to monitor activity of the various talk groups you may or may not have programmed in depending upon your preference.

Remember that it's supposed to be a hobby, don't ever give up, it's not a good sign. Take a deep breath and remember there are more pressing problems in the world compared to your programming a scanner. Just relax and chill out. Take it one step at a time. Programming manually is so damn easy that you should be able to do it in your sleep. ;)

The manual always has the answer, you just have to stop taking this stuff to seriously, relax.

Easier to Read Pro-164/163 PSR300/C/400/C Scanner Manual

vrf

Premium Subscriber
As I said before , I bought this scanner new yesterday and here it is all day today already trying to listen to this and it still is flickering between the two frequencies , I thought that the pro 164 scanners should come with the rebanding supported but evidently this one seems to not , my pro 95 and pro 97 that i have all I did was enter the frequencies and they worked fine but this darn one does not work.If it is supported do I need to spend more money for the cable and software to get this one to work , if so I should have bought a better brand with less headache and enjoy the holiday.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As I said before , I bought this scanner new yesterday and here it is all day today already trying to listen to this and it still is flickering between the two frequencies , I thought that the pro 164 scanners should come with the rebanding supported but evidently this one seems to not , my pro 95 and pro 97 that i have all I did was enter the frequencies and they worked fine but this darn one does not work.If it is supported do I need to spend more money for the cable and software to get this one to work , if so I should have bought a better brand with less headache and enjoy the holiday.
As has been noted several times above, as well as on the page linked a couple of times, the Pro-164 will work. But you do have to enter the rebanding table information via software, and send that to the scanner.

You are confusing the firmware for the scanner with programming software, calling the 1.07 firmware version "software. It is not. You need to use either PSREdit300, ARC300, or Win97 to enter the rebanding tables, along with the control channel frequencies and talkgroups. You will also need the programming cable to send the information to the scanner.

If you want a scanner that requires no programming software to be purchased separately, then perhaps consider returning the Pro-164 and getting the Pro-107 instead. It has the database information in the scanner, updated weekly. (The same basic scanner is sold under the GRE label as the PSR-700. GRE makes the Pro-107 for Radio Shack.)

DickH

5 or 6 hours ago I answered your e-mail and I sent you detailed information about how to enter custom band plans, etc.
Either you don't understand or you don't want to do the work.

vrf

Premium Subscriber
I went to RS and purchased the cable and cd with it and this is what I was tied up with ,I did everything that i thought that I needed to do , it was an Arc 300 trial version cd , it scans when I am in the closed mode but when I change it to the open mode it does not scan ??? , I do not here any ID"s , I put a check mark in the freq. and the ID"s in the arc 300, here I am still trying to fiqure this out . HELP !!!!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I am not familar with ARC300, so I can't give you a specific instruction. However, several steps are required to program that system. The scanner will only "trunk track" when in SCAN mode. In other words, you cannot monitor the system in MAN mode. Next, you MUST selected the "rebanded 800 MOT" band plan. If you don't, the scanner does not know you are trying to monitor a rebanded system. In other words, it is not enough to just program in the 85x.xxxx frequencies.

vrf

Premium Subscriber
MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS I have the scanner up and running . I hear Santa at the Christmas Tree , Have a wonderful day.

Status
Not open for further replies.