PRO-164 Scanner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
I will do that. I just came back from buying the USB cable, it was on sale at my local Radio Shack. It was the last one and the sale ends tomorrow...so I guess I was lucky. I am still waiting for the scanner to get here. I am going to get the PRO-97 manual and read it.
What should I be careful about with the scanner in order to make sure everything works in case I have to send it back? I have 7 days to return it. I mean, are there any signs I need to be aware of that tells you something is not right when I first get the scanner to test it? Another thing! Should I consider buying a better antenna for the scanner?

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it.
Sounds like you are getting a great scanner I have a few myself 95,2051,96,97,163,164, PSR-500,600 and a lot more, with the newer scanner I fill that using software to program them is the way to go from the 95,96,97,163,164 it the fastest way to program them, my other scanners have Vfolders I just click a few buttons and the whole thing is reprogrammed. welcome to the scanning world, I had this bug from the mid 60's yes the 1960's I also have a ton of shortwave receivers you can listen to the whole world with one or in my case about 5.

N8IAA

I will do that. I just came back from buying the USB cable, it was on sale at my local Radio Shack. It was the last one and the sale ends tomorrow...so I guess I was lucky. I am still waiting for the scanner to get here. I am going to get the PRO-97 manual and read it.
What should I be careful about with the scanner in order to make sure everything works in case I have to send it back? I have 7 days to return it. I mean, are there any signs I need to be aware of that tells you something is not right when I first get the scanner to test it? Another thing! Should I consider buying a better antenna for the scanner?

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it.

First, open the battery cover and make sure that there is no corrosion or build up from batteries that might have leaked. Check the black and yellow battery holders for the same. Put in some batteries and turn on the unit and attach the antenna. Make sure that all the bank channels 0-9 are on. You should have + marks under all the channels. This means the bank is in OPEN mode. To see if there are any frequencies in Bank 0, press all the other number buttons: 1-9, to have only Bank 0 scanning. Press the MAN button, then 000. This will put you at the first channel in the bank. You can scroll through the bank by continuously pressing MAN, or, the up/down buttons. To check the SQUELCH knob, turn it all the way counterclockwise. You should hear a hissing, white noise. Turn it clockwise until the hissing stops. If nothing is active in bank 0, push the WX button, the closest weather channal should be heard. This actually lets you know that the scanner is operating. Press the SEARCH button, and keep pushing until you get to the Police search and let it do it's thing. If there are any active frequencies, the scanner will stop on them. ***When you get the scanner, and have the programming software, Make sure that you download the scanner into the program. You will save what is in the scanner, and get an idea how the software looks with frequencies.***
HTH,
Larry

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-164/psr-300

I am going to get the PRO-97 manual and read it.
When it comes to general scanning terms, you can get them from most manuals. The "easier to read PRO-97" manual is fine. I learned the PRO-92 first, then the PRO-95, then the PRO-97 and finally the PRO-164/PSR-300. Be careful with the '97 manual in applying that to the '164 as there are subtle differences.

What should I be careful about with the scanner in order to make sure everything works in case I have to send it back?
Look in the '164 manual for the ranges of reception. Make sure it can receive a signal in each of those ranges. Note this is not the same as the search ranges. Check the display. Make sure each character can be displayed properly. Make sure each of the keypad buttons works and feels right.

Should I consider buying a better antenna for the scanner?
If you are only going to use it in hand-held mode, don't bother. If you are going to use it as a base unit at your home or mobile in a vehicle, then YES. You only hear what your antenna can see.

Thank you guys for your help, I am enjoying the forum.

Sounds like you are getting a great scanner I have a few myself 95,2051,96,97,163,164, PSR-500,600 and a lot more, with the newer scanner I fill that using software to program them is the way to go from the 95,96,97,163,164 it the fastest way to program them, my other scanners have Vfolders I just click a few buttons and the whole thing is reprogrammed. welcome to the scanning world, I had this bug from the mid 60's yes the 1960's I also have a ton of shortwave receivers you can listen to the whole world with one or in my case about 5.

Definitely I will use the software, thanks for the welcoming.

First, open the battery cover and make sure that there is no corrosion or build up from batteries that might have leaked. Check the black and yellow battery holders for the same. Put in some batteries and turn on the unit and attach the antenna. Make sure that all the bank channels 0-9 are on. You should have + marks under all the channels. This means the bank is in OPEN mode. To see if there are any frequencies in Bank 0, press all the other number buttons: 1-9, to have only Bank 0 scanning. Press the MAN button, then 000. This will put you at the first channel in the bank. You can scroll through the bank by continuously pressing MAN, or, the up/down buttons. To check the SQUELCH knob, turn it all the way counterclockwise. You should hear a hissing, white noise. Turn it clockwise until the hissing stops. If nothing is active in bank 0, push the WX button, the closest weather channal should be heard. This actually lets you know that the scanner is operating. Press the SEARCH button, and keep pushing until you get to the Police search and let it do it's thing. If there are any active frequencies, the scanner will stop on them. ***When you get the scanner, and have the programming software, Make sure that you download the scanner into the program. You will save what is in the scanner, and get an idea how the software looks with frequencies.***
HTH,
Larry

Great advice, I will follow it thoroughly.

If you are only going to use it in hand-held mode, don't bother. If you are going to use it as a base unit at your home or mobile in a vehicle, then YES. You only hear what your antenna can see.

Thanks gmclam, what type of antenna should I use if I use it as a base at home? a discone? any good brand? How about mobile in a vehicle? I am planning on getting another scanner one for the house and one for the car. Which is a recommended antenna for the vehicle?

Thanks again!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Thanks gmclam, what type of antenna should I use if I use it as a base at home? a discone? any good brand? How about mobile in a vehicle? I am planning on getting another scanner one for the house and one for the car. Which is a recommended antenna for the vehicle?
The exact antenna to get largely depends on what you want to hear (or the bands they are in). I use a discone at home. It is a good omni-directional antenna that covers all the scanner bands. I got mine at Radio Shack but I'd agree that the model sold at ScannerMaster is more robust. There's no difference between the two in performance.

I use a mag mount antenna when mobile. I have an old one I originally got from Radio Shack back in the early 1980s. I purchased a newer model from Scanners Unlimited when they were going out of business. Both work better than I could have imagined.

I guess I want a discone covering all bands. any brand in particular?
By the way, has anybody tried those "Slinky" antennas from ebay? They claim to be old folks with radio experience and making antennas since 1965. Anybody here knows how they perform?

Updated: I have been checking the frequencies in my county again, and they are analog, but it says PL, which is the CTSSC thing. My question is, would I be able to listen to this if I get an analog non trunking scanner?
Thanks again

Last edited:
New to this forum stuff.. I have a pro-164 and can't figure out how to set weather alert (SAME) to work while I am in active scan mode. Standby works OK. Please help!!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I guess I want a discone covering all bands. any brand in particular?
Nope. They all function the same. Issues might be price, durability and the type of connector on them. I bought my personal antenna at RS, but have purchased some from ScannerMaster for clients.

Updated: I have been checking the frequencies in my county again, and they are analog, but it says PL, which is the CTSSC thing.
I wish our DB did NOT use the term PL. It is a trademark of Motorola which means "Private Line" is identical technology to the generic term CTCSS, abbreviated CT by many scanners.

My question is, would I be able to listen to this if I get an analog non trunking scanner?
Yes. If a signal uses CT, then it is analog. You will be able to monitor the audio. If you want to decode or implement the use of the CT, you'll need a scanner that can handle that. The PRO-164 or PSR-300 handle CT/DC tones just fine.

Nope. They all function the same. Issues might be price, durability and the type of connector on them. I bought my personal antenna at RS, but have purchased some from ScannerMaster for clients.

Hi gmclam, good to know about the CTCSS stuff. Thanks.
Type of connector? Scanners usually have BNC connector right? What connector are you referring to? I saw an antenna on ebay(discone) that says SO 239 CONNECTOR T601 #T601. That confuses me now.

How about the laws about putting antennas on the roof? Neighbors complaining and all that? Anybody knows of the laws in Oregon? I have been trying to find about it with no luck. Any place where I can find it? Google shows nothing about it, perhaps some specific text or website anybody knows of?

Also nobody knows of those SlinkyAntennas on ebay? They also make a reference to Radio Reference and seem to be pretty legit. The antennas are home made but the reviews are wonderful.

Thanks everybody, this place is great.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Antennas and connectors

Type of connector? Scanners usually have BNC connector right? What connector are you referring to? I saw an antenna on ebay(discone) that says SO 239 CONNECTOR T601 #T601. That confuses me now.
My newer scanners do have BNC connectors for the antenna. My older scanners use a "Motorola" connector, the same as is used by AM/FM car radios. I've seen Uniden scanners that use SMA connectors. There is no absolute standard.

Antennas; the Radio Shack discone has an SO-239, also called a "UHF connector". It's mate is the PL-259. The discones I got from Scanner Master had N connectors.

Note that it does not matter what the scanner has with regard to what your outside antenna should have. Just put the correct connectors on each end of the coax and you're good.

How about the laws about putting antennas on the roof? Neighbors complaining and all that? Anybody knows of the laws in Oregon? I have been trying to find about it with no luck. Any place where I can find it? Google shows nothing about it, perhaps some specific text or website anybody knows of?
Usually it is Home Owner's Associations that have 'rules' regarding this. It is not a law. The time when laws come in to the picture are when you are so high that the FAA has to be notified. If you are installing an antenna in a location controlled/owned exclusively by you (it is not shared with a neighbor or owned by a landlord), then you should not have restrictions. The FCC has even overturned the rules of many home owner's associations on this issue.

My newer scanners do have BNC connectors for the antenna. My older scanners use a "Motorola" connector, the same as is used by AM/FM car radios. I've seen Uniden scanners that use SMA connectors. There is no absolute standard.

Antennas; the Radio Shack discone has an SO-239, also called a "UHF connector". It's mate is the PL-259. The discones I got from Scanner Master had N connectors.

Note that it does not matter what the scanner has with regard to what your outside antenna should have. Just put the correct connectors on each end of the coax and you're good.

Usually it is Home Owner's Associations that have 'rules' regarding this. It is not a law. The time when laws come in to the picture are when you are so high that the FAA has to be notified. If you are installing an antenna in a location controlled/owned exclusively by you (it is not shared with a neighbor or owned by a landlord), then you should not have restrictions. The FCC has even overturned the rules of many home owner's associations on this issue.

Thank you for that info, I am learning a lot of stuff in this forum. I saw those ones Slinky antennas on eBay and at their "official" store, I wonder how they work. They are kind of heavy with a lot of coil around them...really small. I suppose somebody must have tried them in here? Something small is convenient but I wonder how good it is. I may going to have to get a discone instead, I bet.

N8IAA

Thank you for that info, I am learning a lot of stuff in this forum. I saw those ones Slinky antennas on eBay and at their "official" store, I wonder how they work. They are kind of heavy with a lot of coil around them...really small. I suppose somebody must have tried them in here? Something small is convenient but I wonder how good it is. I may going to have to get a discone instead, I bet.

'Slinky' antennas are usually for the HF bands. Not sure if there are any for the VHF and UHF bands. SO239 is the female connector to the PL259 male connector. It is the most common of radio to antenna connectors. Typically used on ham radios and cb's.
Larry

'Slinky' antennas are usually for the HF bands. Not sure if there are any for the VHF and UHF bands. SO239 is the female connector to the PL259 male connector. It is the most common of radio to antenna connectors. Typically used on ham radios and cb's.
Larry

Oh, these guys have different types. The Slinky antennas they claim are for HAM, shortwave, CB...my bad, the name of their store is SlinkyAntennas, sorry. The antennas they have for scanners are called Snoop Daddy, different types and frequencies. Some are all band antennas. Is it worth it?

Thanks again

N8IAA

Oh, these guys have different types. The Slinky antennas they claim are for HAM, shortwave, CB...my bad, the name of their store is SlinkyAntennas, sorry. The antennas they have for scanners are called Snoop Daddy, different types and frequencies. Some are all band antennas. Is it worth it?

Thanks again

I went to their site after writing the post. Don't know, never used one on HF, much less on 25-1200Mhz.
Larry

I went to their site after writing the post. Don't know, never used one on HF, much less on 25-1200Mhz.
Larry

Well, I guess the best way will be to give it a try myself sometime. I read some reviews from their users, they are not that expensive after all. Thanks Larry.

Ok, I got the PRO-164. Now I have more problems and doubts that I did before. I am trying to upgrade the firmware from 1.00 to 1.07. I do everything it says, press program while turning it on..etc, but the firmware upgrade software says " No data from scanner. Please retry from step1". I have tried so many times, unplugged all the USB things I have plugged in...made sure the COM port is the one I am using on "device manager"...everything you can think of. Yet no luck. I am so frustrated. Now when I try using Win97, it gets the same, only a different message " Timed out waiting for the header".

I appreciate your help

UPDATE: Please ignore all I said, I am so ignorant I was plugging the thing into the headphones jack...that's what happens when the instructions are badly translated and not specified, AND when they use a STEREO or MONO jack to transfer data...what do I know. You think i may have destroyed my scanner now?

Last edited:
Reception

Hi again guys, I have been working with the PRO-164 and it is not that difficult after all. I programmed what I was interested in and it is working ok, well ALMOST ok. The thing is that I have some Family 2 way radio, and I have noticed that, while comparing the PRO-164 searching for active channels on the GMRS bank, it is not getting as much as the 6 mile family 2 way radio is able to get. I barely get anything, and same with the CB bank. Is that normal? The 2 way radio is getting a lot of activity while the PRO-164 is kind of "looking" for some. Now I have tried it and it does work when I talk on the 2 way radio, so it does receive on those frequencies.
Another thing is the PRO-164 does not have the FM and AM frequencies that regular radios have right? I am talking about the commercial radio stations. Just making sure every range works and following your advice guys. I have 7 days to make sure everything works good.

And finally, I was almost about to buy a discone and RG6 coaxial and the connectors and all that, but after a little thinking, I do not know if the neighbors will like it. Neighbors are always weird with that kind of stuff. I was thinking maybe I can use one of those WAN-97A Active Nomad Base Antenna(Watson Active Antenna) they are selling at Scanner Master? WAN-97A Active Nomad Base Antenna I have read some people saying they get even more than with a discone. What do you guys think?

Thanks again for all your help and thank you for your patience as well!!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The thing is that I have some Family 2 way radio, and I have noticed that, while comparing the PRO-164 searching for active channels on the GMRS bank, it is not getting as much as the 6 mile family 2 way radio is able to get. I barely get anything, and same with the CB bank. Is that normal?
I have one bank of my scanners dedicated to these amateur frequencies including GMRS. When visiting certain places, like camping, I hear a ton of traffic. Some issues are: a) do you have the ATTenuator on? b) are you limiting reception with the use of CT/DC tones? c) are you comparing the radios side by side, both on their stock antennas?

Because GMRS is UHF, I would not expect the 2 ways to do any better at receiving than a PRO-164 or PSR-300. However, when it comes to CB, your antenna means everything. CB, 11 meters, needs a fairly large antenna, just like low band VHF, to get good reception. If you connect a CB antenna to your '164 you'll pick up lots of stuff, including skip, just like a CB radio.

The 2 way radio is getting a lot of activity while the PRO-164 is kind of "looking" for some. Now I have tried it and it does work when I talk on the 2 way radio, so it does receive on those frequencies.
I rarely use the SEARCH function of these scanners. I program in what I want to hear and use the SCAN function. When using the search function, a lot depends on the "step" you program between frequencies. You could be easily missing the target frequency when 'searching'.

Another thing is the PRO-164 does not have the FM and AM frequencies that regular radios have right?
Yes. These scanners do not have broadcast AM, broadcast FM nor TV frequencies. The main reason is because they are "wider" channels and require a different discriminator than is used for public safety radio.

I have one bank of my scanners dedicated to these amateur frequencies including GMRS. When visiting certain places, like camping, I hear a ton of traffic. Some issues are: a) do you have the ATTenuator on? b) are you limiting reception with the use of CT/DC tones? c) are you comparing the radios side by side, both on their stock antennas

Gmclam, I do not have the ATT on, I am not using CT/DC tones I believe(how do I know I am using them?), I do not think I have programmed anything with CT/DC tones. Yes I am comparing the radios side by side, both on their stock antennas, and the difference is huge.

Oh, yes, I do not "search" for GMRS, I use the pre programmed bank and scan it, although wait, I have to push "search" but it is scanning on the 24 GMRS channels (or 23? I forgot)sorry about that!

Another thing I am concerned about now is that when I use an AC adapter everything works great EXPECT for the CB radio bank. When I use batteries the squelch works delightfully, but when using the AC 9V adapter, the CB is always on, the squelch does not work, that happens on the 40 CB channels. When I take the AC adapter off and try batteries again, it works perfect. Any ideas on why?

Now I am thinking about getting an antenna, indoor or outdoor. I really do want an outdoors, but I have the feeling the neighbors will be all weird about it. So I was thinking about getting an active antenna and see what happens...only that they are almost $100...and what guarantee I have that it is going to work? I live at a 2 story house, and boy, the difference from downstairs and upstairs is significant. With the only antenna that I have, the rubber duck for the PRO-164, I am able to get 30 miles from where I live...I am able to listen to some frequencies, although sometimes a bit noisy and low.

So far I am happy with the radio and the ease to program it with the USB cable, although I am a little concerned about the GMRS reception and the AC adapter CB issue.

Thank you for your help gmclam

N8IAA

Gmclam, I do not have the ATT on, I am not using CT/DC tones I believe(how do I know I am using them?), I do not think I have programmed anything with CT/DC tones. Yes I am comparing the radios side by side, both on their stock antennas, and the difference is huge.

Oh, yes, I do not "search" for GMRS, I use the pre programmed bank and scan it, although wait, I have to push "search" but it is scanning on the 24 GMRS channels (or 23? I forgot)sorry about that!

Another thing I am concerned about now is that when I use an AC adapter everything works great EXPECT for the CB radio bank. When I use batteries the squelch works delightfully, but when using the AC 9V adapter, the CB is always on, the squelch does not work, that happens on the 40 CB channels. When I take the AC adapter off and try batteries again, it works perfect. Any ideas on why?

Now I am thinking about getting an antenna, indoor or outdoor. I really do want an outdoors, but I have the feeling the neighbors will be all weird about it. So I was thinking about getting an active antenna and see what happens...only that they are almost $100...and what guarantee I have that it is going to work? I live at a 2 story house, and boy, the difference from downstairs and upstairs is significant. With the only antenna that I have, the rubber duck for the PRO-164, I am able to get 30 miles from where I live...I am able to listen to some frequencies, although sometimes a bit noisy and low.

So far I am happy with the radio and the ease to program it with the USB cable, although I am a little concerned about the GMRS reception and the AC adapter CB issue.

Thank you for your help gmclam

It sounds like there is an internal problem with the radio. My suggestion is to return it and get your money back. Buy a new one from RS. There have been a lot of posts about refurbished radios here on RR. You might have gotten one that was returned to RS and resold as 'new', or, refurbished. Just my thoughts.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.