PRO-164 Scanner question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend is offering me a PRO-164 for around $65. It is kind of scratched and the antenna is peeled where you can see a bit of the wire inside. My question is, being new to scanning, should I buy it? Will I have to replace the antenna with a new one? Or will I be able to use it the way it is?

Sorry about my ignorance, I am still learning.

Thanks in advance

N8IAA

In a word: NO!! You don't know what it's been through. Does it scan? Can you hear anything but noise on it?? Then maybe offer him $10 saying it may be good for parts.
Larry

He already sold it to someone else. Thank you for your advice Larry, greatly appreciated.
Would I ask you another question? See, I was thinking about getting a PRO-2006 or a PRO-2005. Now for about $130, is the PRO-2005 worth it? The backlight is perfect (not fading), and the seller claims the sound and reception are great. Should I get a PSR-300 instead? Or just a PRO-164 in good condition? My county is all analog, although there is some trunking around in other counties, I do not know what I should go for between those scanners. I have heard the PRO-2005 and 2006 have great reception and sound...generally. Is that true? What do you suggest?

Thank you for your help!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Go PSR-300

See, I was thinking about getting a PRO-2006 or a PRO-2005. Now for about $130, is the PRO-2005 worth it?
No. Those are very old scanners.

Should I get a PSR-300 instead? Or just a PRO-164 in good condition?
I got my PSR-300 from ScannerMaster. $149 included shipping and the AC adapter. You can't beat it. The PRO-164 is the same radio, but comes with different accessories.

There is not much sense in buying a scanner that is not at least a little future proof, or dirt cheap. Why spend $130 for something very old when you can have the latest and greatest for just a few $ more. As my area rebands I'll need to replace my PRO-95s with PSR-300s. I only have one now and will get another when I need to.

Gmclam, the reason why I was talking about the PRO-2005 and PRO-2006 is because sources keep saying (also I checked reviews on some websites, very positive on both scanners) that those scanners get very good reception and clear sound, and also that they are very easy to do mods on. Now, I can get one of the new ones for almost the same money I would be paying for the PRO-2005.
I have no idea as to weather those sources are accurate or not, although some people here say that the PRO-2005 and PRO-2006 are great scanners. Also remember Bill Cheek's favorite scanner? the PRO-2006. So anyway, that's why I am getting so confused about it, and I am glad that you guys are giving me a hand.

My county is analog non trunking, but eventually it will go trunking and even digital, I guess. So yeah I would love to actually get a digital one, but they are a bit pricey now (I was thinking earlier about saving some money and get the PSR-500 or 600).

Maybe I should get a new one now and then, in the future, get the Pro-2005 or 2006 just to see if it is true that they are that good(for less money than $130). For some reason there is something about them that calls my attention, I do not know why.
Perhaps the PSR-300 is the best option for me right now uh.

I still haven't made up my mind...it is hard when it is your first scanner!

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

kcvanover

I like my 2005 and 2006, but the 164 is a much better product, plus the age of the 2005 and 2006 puts them at risk of going bad.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Go with the PSR-300 for now

Gmclam, the reason why I was talking about the PRO-2005 and PRO-2006 is because sources keep saying (also I checked reviews on some websites, very positive on both scanners) that those scanners get very good reception and clear sound, and also that they are very easy to do mods on.
I am aware of the mods. If your interest is in receiving wireless (cell) phone calls, there are a few things you should know. Cell phones are mostly digital now, and no scanner can decode that digital format. Additionally, laws have been passed that make it illegal to even accidentally monitor them. A lot has been written on that topic here on RR.

... although some people here say that the PRO-2005 and PRO-2006 are great scanners. Also remember Bill Cheek's favorite scanner?
Let me for the record state that my PRO-77s are my favorite scanner (http://forums.radioreference.com/ge...g-technology-enhance-scanning.html#post805465) (http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...55-realistic-scanner-crystals.html#post776734). But that does not mean they can compete with my PSR-300 for clarity and reception of weak signals.

the PRO-2006. So anyway, that's why I am getting so confused about it, and I am glad that you guys are giving me a hand.
Well, if you can be more specific about what it is you want to do, why you need to mod a scanner, and we can give you better advice.

My county is analog non trunking, but eventually it will go trunking and even digital, I guess. So yeah I would love to actually get a digital one, but they are a bit pricey now (I was thinking earlier about saving some money and get the PSR-500 or 600).

Perhaps the PSR-300 is the best option for me right now uh.
If you can afford the PSR-500, then go for it. It is the most modern scanner out there and can pick up anything that scanners can pick up. If you can't or don't want to afford one, then the PSR-300 will do great.

I still haven't made up my mind... it is hard when it is your first scanner!
If this is your first scanner, then I HIGHLY recommend the PSR-300. Sure it is analog, but it will do all you need. Even if your area goes digital, and you find yourself needing that PSR-500, you'll also want an analog scanner. Around here I run two scanners constantly; one for trunking and one for conventional. Fortunately for me, there's not much digital in this area (that a scanner can decode).

Thank you so much for your help guys. In the end I got the PRO-164, I still do not know if it was the right thing to do, but I will be able to tell when I try it. I paid $80, refurbished. What do you think? I was hesitant between PSR-300 and the PRO-164, but when I saw it for that price I got it.Oh well.

I forgot to mention. When I was talking about the mods for the PRO-2005 and PRO-2006 because of the Optoscan456 (which is no longer available, only the Lite) adding trunking and capability to computer control it. I think that is pretty cool. Hey maybe if I find a cheap one I will get it. I know there are others that are newer and computer controllable but not as highly modifiable.

Last edited:

N8IAA

I forgot to mention. When I was talking about the mods for the PRO-2005 and PRO-2006 because of the Optoscan456 (which is no longer available, only the Lite) adding trunking and capability to computer control it. I think that is pretty cool. Hey maybe if I find a cheap one I will get it. I know there are others that are newer and computer controllable but not as highly modifiable.

Hope you got it from someone, or, somewhere reputable. $80 for a refurbed 164 isn't a band price. Just a couple of suggestions, get Win97 programming software and the RS USB programming cable, part # 20-047.
Software can be downloaded at: Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197) and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400) scanners Of course, the cable can be bought at RS on sale right now. It will make understanding the scanner so much better:)
Larry

Hope you got it from someone, or, somewhere reputable. $80 for a refurbed 164 isn't a band price. Just a couple of suggestions, get Win97 programming software and the RS USB programming cable, part # 20-047.
Software can be downloaded at: Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197) and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400) scanners Of course, the cable can be bought at RS on sale right now. It will make understanding the scanner so much better:)
Larry

Yeah! I got it from a store online, the reviews are great. I will do what you just said, Win97 and the cable as well.
Could you please explain to me how will it make me understand the scanner better? Is it used to program it? I am going to start reading the scanner manual pdf file right now.

Thanks for your advice

Updated: I just saw that I would need to upgrade the firmware to 1.07. My question is, is there anyway to check my scanner for the firmware before I upgrade it when it first gets here? I mean some keys combination on the keypad or something like that? I am going to ask the seller to see if he/she upgraded to the last version.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PSR-300 Firmware & Boot Versions

Updated: I just saw that I would need to upgrade the firmware to 1.07. My question is, is there anyway to check my scanner for the firmware before I upgrade it when it first gets here?
Unless you are monitoring EDACS systems, v1.06 will be fine. To find out what you have, press and hold the PGM key while turning on the scanner. Note that it will tell you the boot version you have as well. If you go ahead with the update, the exact process varies depending on the boot version.

Oh man, I have a lot of things to learn about scanning...thanks for your help again. I will check out the version and all that and see what happens.

N8IAA

Could you please explain to me how will it make me understand the scanner better? Is it used to program it? I am going to start reading the scanner manual pdf file right nowQUOTE]

Yes, it is used to program the scanner. It can be used with a premium subscription to RR, to import trunking systems and conventional frequencies to the scanner. This includes Bank and Channel alphatags, PL, DPL, delay, and Lock Outs. Though, learning how to program the radio by hand is neccessary too:) Wait til you do frequency, ctcss, dtcss, and alphatag all the channels you want to monitor:D You'll understand. The programming software also allows you to build multiple files to quickly change what you want to listen too.
Larry

Thanks Larry. Man that seems like a lot of stuff to do. I am going to love it though. So I can do it all by hand as well? That is probably the best method to learn, isn't it?

N8IAA

Thanks Larry. Man that seems like a lot of stuff to do. I am going to love it though. So I can do it all by hand as well? That is probably the best method to learn, isn't it?

Definitely. Downloaded the software when I got my Pro-97. Had plenty of experience with many RS branded Uniden's and GRE's before the 97. It was one of the best handheld trunking scanners I ever owned. Have to say the best was my Pro-95. Upgraded to the 97 because of alphatags and milair. Had a Pro-92 original, 92A, and 96 (my first P-25 digital scanner). Now own a Pro-163 and Pro-106. The 163 replaced an aging BC895. The 106 because I got tired of the 'Motorboating' on the 96. 'Motorboating' is the digital noise made when a digital signal is lost and goes to analog mode. Very annoying and LOUD. The 106 mutes that noise. Also increased my frequency allocation by almost 8 times. But, let's get back to what you asked: learning to do it manually is a benefit for when you want to enter something and don't have the pc nearby. Done it on the fly many times. Have thought about getting a Pro-164/PSR-300 for a while now. Really want something smaller. May wait for the GRE version of the Pro-107 to come out.
Larry

Definitely. Downloaded the software when I got my Pro-97. Had plenty of experience with many RS branded Uniden's and GRE's before the 97. It was one of the best handheld trunking scanners I ever owned. Have to say the best was my Pro-95. Upgraded to the 97 because of alphatags and milair. Had a Pro-92 original, 92A, and 96 (my first P-25 digital scanner). Now own a Pro-163 and Pro-106. The 163 replaced an aging BC895. The 106 because I got tired of the 'Motorboating' on the 96. 'Motorboating' is the digital noise made when a digital signal is lost and goes to analog mode. Very annoying and LOUD. The 106 mutes that noise. Also increased my frequency allocation by almost 8 times. But, let's get back to what you asked: learning to do it manually is a benefit for when you want to enter something and don't have the pc nearby. Done it on the fly many times. Have thought about getting a Pro-164/PSR-300 for a while now. Really want something smaller. May wait for the GRE version of the Pro-107 to come out.
Larry

Hey Larry, you have a lot of experience there. Yeah, the PRO-164 seems a little bulky, doesnt it. I bought it because of the price, features, and some users reviews. I also read this about the features

"7 Service search ranges and 1 user definable search range

* The scanner contains these preprogrammed search ranges, stored in the search bank (SR0-SR7)
* Bank Band
* SR0 Marine
* SR1 CB
* SR2 FRS/GMRS/MURS
* SR3 Public Safety
* SR4 Aircraft (Civil and Mil-Air segments can be selected)
* SR5 Amateur Bands
* SR6 Railroad
* SR7 Limit search (User changeable) "

Do you think this will be on the scanner after being refurbished? Or it all goes for good? Is it something important or it does not matter that much and I can program it myself? Are the frequencies in there standard? I am trying to understand more about the frequency ranges and what belongs to who and so on. Would you suggest a book to buy to learn? or a website maybe? I also read that the manual for the PRO-164 is a little misleading and that it is written in a weird way, perhaps due to a translation from the original or something. Hopefully I will know how to operate it.
Another thing, and sorry for the bunch of questions, what do I have to do when I first get the scanner for me in order to make sure it works correctly? The seller accepts returns in 7 days.

Thanks again Larry

N8IAA

Hey Larry, you have a lot of experience there. Yeah, the PRO-164 seems a little bulky, doesnt it. I bought it because of the price, features, and some users reviews. I also read this about the features

"7 Service search ranges and 1 user definable search range

* The scanner contains these preprogrammed search ranges, stored in the search bank (SR0-SR7)
* Bank Band
* SR0 Marine
* SR1 CB
* SR2 FRS/GMRS/MURS
* SR3 Public Safety
* SR4 Aircraft (Civil and Mil-Air segments can be selected)
* SR5 Amateur Bands
* SR6 Railroad
* SR7 Limit search (User changeable) "

Do you think this will be on the scanner after being refurbished? Or it all goes for good? Is it something important or it does not matter that much and I can program it myself? Are the frequencies in there standard? I am trying to understand more about the frequency ranges and what belongs to who and so on. Would you suggest a book to buy to learn? or a website maybe? I also read that the manual for the PRO-164 is a little misleading and that it is written in a weird way, perhaps due to a translation from the original or something. Hopefully I will know how to operate it.
Another thing, and sorry for the bunch of questions, what do I have to do when I first get the scanner for me in order to make sure it works correctly? The seller accepts returns in 7 days.

Thanks again Larry

The search ranges are permanently in the scanner. Get the software. It will make programming the scanner a heck of a lot faster. You will need the RS USB programming cable, part # 20-047. If it truly is a refurb, there will be frequencies in the first 150 channels of Bank 0. These are generic VHF and UHF conventional police and fire frequencies. Loading in frequencies via the software, especially trunking frequencies, is so much more faster than by hand. Since you are new to the scanning world, this will also stop hair loss due to frustration. The manual that came with the radio is c**p. Go to the wiki here and download the older Pro-97 manual. It is easier to understand, and more intuitive for trunking.
Larry

The search ranges are permanently in the scanner. Get the software. It will make programming the scanner a heck of a lot faster. You will need the RS USB programming cable, part # 20-047. If it truly is a refurb, there will be frequencies in the first 150 channels of Bank 0. These are generic VHF and UHF conventional police and fire frequencies. Loading in frequencies via the software, especially trunking frequencies, is so much more faster than by hand. Since you are new to the scanning world, this will also stop hair loss due to frustration. The manual that came with the radio is c**p. Go to the wiki here and download the older Pro-97 manual. It is easier to understand, and more intuitive for trunking.
Larry

I will do that. I just came back from buying the USB cable, it was on sale at my local Radio Shack. It was the last one and the sale ends tomorrow...so I guess I was lucky. I am still waiting for the scanner to get here. I am going to get the PRO-97 manual and read it.
What should I be careful about with the scanner in order to make sure everything works in case I have to send it back? I have 7 days to return it. I mean, are there any signs I need to be aware of that tells you something is not right when I first get the scanner to test it? Another thing! Should I consider buying a better antenna for the scanner?

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.