Pro 164 Trunking ?'s (help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwells

Hey guys, this is my first post here so forgive any newbie jargon I might deliver. I have a new Pro 164 and I have tried programming in trunked frequencies, I've looked all over this site and gained a lot of knowledge but it's still not scanning; I will explain how I've set it up and any help would be appreciated.
First of all I used the directions in the manual and entered the frequencies in starting at 001 thru 015, including the 000.000's for 3 channels as was I instructed. On the initial Trunk screen this is the way I have them set up (I think this is where the problem is)
Line 1: ID BANK 0-0 ON
Line 2: EDACS TGID# 00
Line 3: ED NONE.
I'm also using a recieve mode of FM, tried changing to ED because the police here use EDACS but that didn't work
Set up this way my scanner doesn't Trunk scan; I hear a lot of annoying buzzer sounds and a lot of beeping with a few transmissions in between.
If it is the TGID#'s I need, I cant find them and I don't know what ID 0-0 ON means either.
I live in Davenport, Iowa with zipcode of 52806. The police use EDACS and the frequencies are in bank 001-015. Oh and when it scans these frequencies the "T" never comes on the screen.

Any help will be most appreciated
Thank you
Kent

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

This is more a question for the forum about the radio, than a region.

I have not programmed any EDACS systems, so I am not the best to answer those questions.

fireside

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RR Kent.

First off, the bank you have programmed for EDACS needs to be defined as such. See page 38 in the manual. Next is " open or closed " page 38 & 39 explains that. If you have the correct freqs. entered in LCN order and set to open you should be " trunk scanning " and hearing everything on that site. As you hear talkgroups you want to save, press trunk and you can later go in and give it a name like Dav PD #1.

I leave mine in open, you might hear a talkgroup thats not in the database.

kwells

thanks

Thank you Doug and Iowaguy,
I will check on this when i get home tonight. Doug when you say define EDACS as such do you mean the way I have it set up in that trunk screen I described or do you mean define it as the receive mode instead of FM?......I'm not at home so maybe I'll just wait for any more questions after I get home; thank you much

Kent

fireside

Premium Subscriber
The " trunk screen " you are talking about is where you add or edit talkgroups.
Line 1 is the sub-bank location.
Line 2 is the talkgroup ID ( This scanner defaults to the DEC ID ) example, Scott county sheriff dispatch #1 is DEC 1223. So line 2 will have 1223 in it.
Line 3 is for entering a text tag. For the above you could put in Scot Shrf 1.
You can find all that info in the Database section here on RR.
What you need to do first is to get the scanner working, then when you have saved some talkgroups go ahead and enter text.

You need to tell the scanner that bank # ( the bank you have the freqs.entered ) is being programmed for EDACS. Then you do not have to worry about the FM part.

kwells

Thank you, as you can see I'm very green at this so thanks for th further explaination. I'll look in the RR section you're talking about. I figured there was something that needed entered in that screen besides the EDACS designation

Kent
Go Hawks!

kwells

In line 2 where the Dec ID goes; do I enter that? or does the scanner do it? because I don't see how I can do this, I can use the arrows to change the numbers but it only goes to like 29. Again, I'm at work so this is from memory, I'll check it out when I get home.

Kent

fireside

Premium Subscriber
The scanner will do it when you press the trunk key when a talkgroup you want to save is active.

kwells

Ok, going to try this again when I get home tonight. Just a side note; when I bought the scanner I opened it up at home and noticed it had been opened and the manual had been studied for a while by someone, I didn't like this but the scanner looked ok and everything was there. For some reason I felt it necessary to do an "initialize" on it; maybe this is where the problem was, I don't know enough to know that. It was after I did this that I joined this forum. Anyway, I took the scanner back and got the same model but never opened by anyone, so if initializing it was a mistake I'm going to leave this one alone and just program it. One more question though: Say for example I have frequencies programed in lets say 001-015, is there one talk group ID for the whole set of frequencies? or does each freqencie have it's own? because for the life of me I can't find them here yet, I know you mentioned the 1223 TGID so I did enter that in the previous scanner for the whole set for davenport pd.

Thank you
Kent

fireside

Premium Subscriber
For right now lets not worry about talkgroup IDs . Set the bank to EDACS, program the freqs. in that bank, set it for open. See pages 38 & 39 in manual. A talkgroup ID is not needed at this time. If you program correct you will hear all traffic on the site.

kwells

Thanks Doug, I will do that; will it trunk without the id's? probably not i expect........I will get on this when I get home

Kent

fireside

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it will trunk. The id's tell you who is talking and the scanner shows that info on the screen. You can save those id's buy pressing trunk. But for now,lets not worry about id's,they are not needed at this time.

kwells

I agree, well, I'm glad you explained that about the id's, I think I may be over thinking it then. I brought the scanner to work today so I'm going to try this again. I must have entered the frequencies in wrong again, not sure what I'm doing wrong, I hear the transmissions but again it's mostly beeps and an annoying buzzer with a few partial transmissions in between. I'll read pg 38 again but for some reason I'm getting stuck somewhere in that process. I didn't think I was this dumb lol. I have the freq's in LCN order, I left the three 0 banks 0's and the channel is set to open. I'll look at pg 38 again with the knowledge that I don't need the id's, maybe not over thinking will help

Thanks for all your help

Kent

fireside

Premium Subscriber
If you are hearing a " buzzer " it is the control channel which means you are not trunking. You should not hear that when properly programmed.
Lets start with a new bank, say 1, and define it as EDACS.
Press PROG
Press TRUNK
Press FUNC
Now use the up/down arrows to select bank 1
Press MODE untill EDACS (ED)
Press PROG
Bank 1 should now be set for EDACS
Now program the freqs. in bank 1 starting with 101 in LCN order.

Next, bank 1 needs to be in " open " mode.
Press MAN
Press FUNC
Press ./Delay untill " bank open " appears.

Press scan and it should be trunk scanning in open mode, meaning you will hear every talkgroup.
Now read the manual about "Ids "

Hope this gets you up and running.

SCPD

QRT
It sounds like you don't have EDACs set in two places. When you enter the freq's you need to place your first freq in position 1, not position 0... Using ARC300 you can enter your freqs into the software and move to the mode field and select EDAC, fill this all the way down to the very last freq in this edac bank.

Then, go to settings within that bank and change the system type to EDAC. You should be able to load this data to your scanner and hit scan and you'll be scanning. Without talkgroups you'll want to run the bank in Open mode, and this allows you to hear all talkgroups. Once you get talkgroups programmed in, you can set the system to closed and hear just the talkgroups you want to hear.

Hope this helps

kwells

Doug, question. I'm going to put these in bank 3; I'm pressing MAN to enter 301, then I'm pressing Prog then Trunk, this is how it looks (after the mode is set of course)
ID BANK 3-0 ON
EDACS TGID#00
ED: none
I'm entering the freq's from 301-315 including the three 000.000's and the bank is open, still not trunking, from what you see here can you see what I'm doing wrong? and I hope I'm not the only one having this much trouble. I hope I'm not being burdensom

Thank you
Kent

kwells

Bye the way, when I say that I'm entering the 000.000's, you can't, it says invalid entry, so when i get to the empty channel I just press Prog and leave the 0's that are already there

Kent

fireside

Premium Subscriber
ID BANK 3-0 ON
EDACS TGID#00
ED: none

This is where you enter or edit talkgroups/ IDs, When entering freqs. just push program. Why it is not working i do not know why, bank 3 is set for EDACS, freqs are entered, bank set to open, should work. I hate to say it, go to radio shack and have them download the info to your scanner.

kwells

Just called RS; they no longer have the program in their computers. Until I hear any more advice I'll look online for the program if it's availible somewhere.

Thank you
Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.