Pro 164 Trunking Static issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansul1001

#1 Member
Hello

Everyone the problem that I am having is I am listing to San Bernardino Trunking area 1 Motorola Type 2 and every once in a while the scanner stops on an ID and shows a freq that is not programed in the trunking bank and you can here the people talking but all it sounds like is bleed over from another freq can anyone help me on this

Thanks

JohnnnyBoy

Premium Subscriber
Static on 800 mhz trunked system

I have been seeing the same thing on the TxWarn (Harris County) system since they began the rebanding process. Turning on the attenuation doesn't seem to help. I'm wondering if my three month old radio is getting sick. Please pass on any info you run across. I'm running a PRO 164 with 800mhz antenna.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The only frequencies you need to program in for a MOT type trunked radio system are the control channel frequencies. The scanner will calculate and automatically tune to the voice frequencies. It is normal that the voice channel has not been programmed in.

Yes it is possible you are picking up signals from an adjacent frequency. You should be able to see the frequency being tuned to on the display when you hear the interference. Once you know the frequency being tuned to, you should be able to program that in TUNE mode and use the UP and DOWN arrows to find the exact frequency causing the interference. Of course that's if the problem is indeed adjacent channel interference.

JohnnnyBoy

Premium Subscriber
Pro 164 Trunking Static

Thanks for the reply and you are correct, it is adjacent crossover from Nextel channels. Public safety in our area is also having issues due to the rebanding. I have been told it is only temporary until the Nextel channels are moved up the band width above 866mhz. As I have identified the frequencies I am adding them to all banks and then locking them out. It is much quieter now.

teknishun

Static on PRO-164

I have been seeing the same thing on the TxWarn (Harris County) system since they began the rebanding process. Turning on the attenuation doesn't seem to help. I'm wondering if my three month old radio is getting sick. Please pass on any info you run across. I'm running a PRO 164 with 800mhz antenna.

I also monitor a part of the Harris County Texas System that is now on TXWARN. I also sometimes get
loud static in place of a voice transmission. As soon as the static quits someone will reply to it like it was a normal call. This happens about every 4th or 5th transmission. I monitor 3 towers and it happens on all towers. I have been told that the mobile units are using the new digital radios but are using analog frequencies until all the tower antennas can be upgraded to digital antennas. Could this be a cause of the
static? It does not matter whether it is a mobile or a base station transmitting, the static still occurs about
every 4th or 5th transmission. The only frequencies I have programmed into the PRO-164 are the control channels. Any ideas? BTW - I also run a Radio Shack PRO-2053 desktop scanner and it behaves
exactly the same way.

DickH

PRO-164 on re-banded systems.

Do you people with PRO-164 scanners know that you must enter Custom Band Plans via software? If you don't. you will see strange freqs. popping up, etc.
For example, 851.2500 will show up as 862.2375. Add 10.9875 to freqs. in the 851 to 854 range that have a zero in the 4th decimal place to see the resulting freq. . Freqs. with a 5 in that 4th place will work normally.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Hello

Everyone the problem that I am having is I am listing to San Bernardino Trunking area 1 Motorola Type 2 and every once in a while the scanner stops on an ID and shows a freq that is not programed in the trunking bank and you can here the people talking but all it sounds like is bleed over from another freq can anyone help me on this

Thanks

Have you entered the reband table using the custom band plan field which can only be done using software like Win97?

JohnnnyBoy

Premium Subscriber
Rebanding Table

The rebanding table doesn't make sense to me and I can't find any instructions for the data you need to enter. It looks as if it only affects the control channels.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
[QUOTE I have been told that the mobile units are using the new digital radios but are using analog frequencies until all the tower antennas can be upgraded to digital antennas. Could this be a cause of the
static? [/QUOTE]

FYI--An antenna doesn't know if the signal is analog or digital. So there are no digital or analog antennas, just antennas. However, if the frequency has changed beyond the bandwidth of the antenna then it may be necessary to replace the antennas. This of itself would not usually cause static but rather a high SWR which would cause a mis-match from the coax to the antenna. This mis-match would cause a reduction in the amount of RF being radiated which could cause static in the scanner receiver because of the reduced signal strength.

Hope that helps clear things up.

BB

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The rebanding table doesn't make sense to me and I can't find any instructions for the data you need to enter. It looks as if it only affects the control channels.
Well yes the band plan "only" affects the control channels, which affect the system you are trying to monitor.

Unfortunately there is no way to set the band plan from the radio. I haven't used ARC300 so I can't give you a step by step on how to do it. In WIN97 there is a selection for "extended tables" and then from there you use the pull down menu and select "rebanded 800".

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Rebanding does not affect only the control channels. The control channel data stream tells the radios used on the system, as well as your scanner, which specific frequency to use. See the rebanding article in the Wiki for more information. The actual tables to use can be found here. (This is for a different scanner model, but the tables are identical.) You must enter the tables if the site you are trying to monitor has any frequencies in the 851-854.0000 (less than 854.0000) and if some or all of the frequencies in that range do not have a 5 in the fourth decimal position. (See the comment above from DickH.)

Well yes the band plan "only" affects the control channels, which affect the system you are trying to monitor.

Unfortunately there is no way to set the band plan from the radio. I haven't used ARC300 so I can't give you a step by step on how to do it. In WIN97 there is a selection for "extended tables" and then from there you use the pull down menu and select "rebanded 800".

As gmclam and several others have noted, you cannot enter the required custom band plan through the radio keypad. You must use software loaded on a pc, so you also must have the pc interface cable. Your scanner also must have current enough firmware to utilize the bandplan.

Information on how to apply the bandplan using the three main programs for this scanner (Win97, PSREdit300, and ARC300) can be found in the Wiki.

JohnnnyBoy

Premium Subscriber
Control Channels

The Pearland and Alvin control channels frequencies are not transmitting as analog control channels but League City and Pasadena are. What is the difference? Are Alvin and Pearland transmitting digital only?

Status
Not open for further replies.