Pro-164 vs gre psr-400

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979lee

Well Its time for me to replace my aged pro-2055 , and id like everyones opinions on these two scanners what there strong points and faults are, in my area of california i dont need digital plus i dont want to pay the extra $$$ for something i wont be useing.

rs pro-163 base/moble it looks just like my 2055 so am i gonna have the display crap out on me??? plus iam tired of the looks of this scanner, but its in stock now and i can get it asap. but its 25$ more,

gre psr400 ( iam leaning toward this one) its less $$$ and i like the looks better. but i have to wait a week for this one to be shipped

Also what software is avalible for these scanners, dose ths rs usb scanner cable work with these scanners?

so witch is the better scanner/ or the best bet ?
i really like do the psr400.

thanks ki6mxl:cool:

Last edited:

n2mdk

The PSR-400 and the Pro-163 are basically identical, the only difference is they can't clone off of each other and use a different version of the firmware. There are some slight cosmetic differences.
They both use the same RS/GRE USB cable as the older RS/GRE made scanners.

1979lee

ok thanks, that helps me some, but iam i gonna have display problems with either of these? i dont want to purchase a 2oo$ scanner if the display is gonna quit in a year, ive had my rs pro 2055 since 2006 and recently the display has been acting up, i trimmed the cable it worked for a while, but it quit again and met my 6d maglite witch fixed it suppriseingly hehe, it works now, but its time for a new scanner and i think i am gonna go with the gre psr400]
thanks
73's

n2mdk

That's the $20,000.00 question. The 2 scanners have only been out for a relatively short time. Hopefully GRE was able to pinpoint the problem that has plagued the Pro-2055 and 2096 but right now only time will tell.

Ch1ronTL34

You could probably get a used Pro 2096 for around $300 (maybe less, check the for sale forums here) if your area is going digital soon. I mean, if you're going to spend $200 on a new analog scanner, you may want to think about making a slight investment towards your future listening.

rchalupajr

I own a Psr-400, it's been on 24/7 since I got it. About 2 month's now, no problem so far. I use win97 to program it, and other software is availabe as well. I have a 2055 as well. The Psr-400 has a slight advantage on sensitivity.

mikey60

1979lee said:
Also what software is avalible for these scanners, dose ths rs usb scanner cable work with these scanners?

There are two software packages for these at the moment.

Don Starr updated Win97 to support these radios, so if you have Win97 now, just go to http://www.starrsoft.com and download the update.

If you don't already have Win97, My PSREdit300 will support these radios and the Pro-97/2055 as well. URL is in my signature.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.